Stormin Mormon

More inserted.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
www.mormons.com

"Rotation Slim" wrote in message
om...
My furnace and AC are both about 15 years old, I think they are on
their last legs, so I am thinking about replacing them.
CY: Well, that makes sense.

AC struggles
mightilly to keep up in warm weather, leaks the water that it takes
out of the air. Furnace is just old, although no major problems.
CY: When was the last time you had a pro service it?

I live in a 4 bedroom, 2 story colonial, I think 2000 square feet.
Have 7 kids so doors are never shut. Live in Michigan, cold winters,
humid summers. Don't want the kids growing up soft.. so I don't feel
the need to run AC all the time, just a few weeks a summer when it is
really hot and humid. Forced air/Natural gas.

Have a few questions:

* Is it wise to replace because it it old, or should I wait until a
breakdown? (I happen to have cash on hand now, may or may not have
cash in future when it breaks down)
CY: The cash question is the big one. A pro service clean and check might
buy you a couple more years.

* Is it likely that a new unit would be more effient and start saving
me significant money? (that is part of my thinking on replacing it
now, instead of waiting, any validity in that avenue of thought)
CY: I have a friend who had his furnace replaced, he really raves about the
energy saving.

* I get from a few general conversations that I should avoid the super
efficient models for some reason, what is the thinking there?
CY: some folks find the 90 percenters heat furnaces hard to service. I
personally have never worked with AC that use "Puron" so can't comment on
that.

* Any general recomendations on considerations when looking at AC?
CY: Ask the install company searching questions.

* Is there any advantage in replacing both AC and Heater together?
CY: Yes, absoloutely.

* Any good Web sites where I can do general research before I start
looking at specific brands or systems?
CY: I'm sure there are, but I don't know any offhand.

* Any general ideas on cost, I realize they probably vary greatly, but
any ballparks.
CY: Furnace and AC both, I'd wild guess between 4 and 10 grand, installed.

* Can I save money by hauling out old furnace myself (if it will save
a couple of hundred bucks, I have a saw-z-all and a couple of
brothers, how tough could it be??) obviously I would have to safely
vent refrigerant, which is probably freon, due to age of system.
CY: You'd want to coordinate that with the installing company. There is no
such thing as "safely venting" refrigerant, it has to be pumped offf and
bottled and sent in to a company that reclaims it. If you call some
companies to come out and put a furnace where you ripped one out, I'm sure
it will maek them nervous. I've never known anyone to do this. but you can
discuss it upfront.

Any Advice welcome--
CY: Get four estimates, and choose the one who is very polite, never swears,
doesn't smoke, and gives you simple common sense answers to your questions.