Katherine

Default Adding a bathtub to two piece bathroom

We're in the process of looking for a house and one of the things that
I really REALLY want is a full master ensuite. This way we won't have
to share a tub with the University students we plan to rent rooms to!

However, I feel that to get the best deal we should be open to
considering some of the houses that only have a two piece bath, but
perhaps enough room to install a tub either in the bedroom (near the
bathroom), or expand the bathroom, etc. You get the idea of what I'm
talking about.

My question is, generally, is it a pain in the butt to add a tub into
an existing home? This would be on a main floor, but there is a
chance if there is a powder room in the basement and bedrooms there,
we may need to add a shower or tub in the basement as well.

I tried searching the net but didn't really come up with anything
useful. We wouldn't do the plumbing ourselves, but we would do a lot
of the drywall, construction and any electrical that needs to be moved
(hubbys an electrician but no plumber!), but the plumbing we would
leave to a professional. We just want an idea of how big a job it is
(in general, I know it depends on the situation).

Thanks in advance!!
Shaynelle
I-zheet M'drurz

Katherine wrote:

We're in the process of looking for a house and one of the
things that I really REALLY want is a full master ensuite. This
way we won't have to share a tub with the University students we
plan to rent rooms to!

However, I feel that to get the best deal we should be open to
considering some of the houses that only have a two piece bath,
but perhaps enough room to install a tub either in the bedroom
(near the bathroom), or expand the bathroom, etc. You get the
idea of what I'm talking about.

snip

We just want an idea of how big a job it is
(in general, I know it depends on the situation).

A big general "first consideration" answer: Most people think
of plumbing as running supply lines, but the big "gotcha"
with plumbing is drainage. Tubs n sinks n toilets (especially
toilets!) need to drain into a "stack" a vertical riser that
goes to your main sewer line. That's usually an existing stack,
but you can run new ones, but that's where it gets ugly.
Anybody can run hot and cold supply, but getting rid of the
stuff is your "big job" in most cases. Think *drains* when
you get a mental picture of your brand new stuff. HTH.

--
The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.

Oh, sorry I was actually thinking drainage, but now I realize of course
I didn't even mention it! Especially if we need to put a bathtub or
shower in the basement, I assume we'll need to gorge out some of the
concrete and repour it Thanks for the info, it sounds like the
drainage is indeed a big deal. Hopefully not something thats going to
cost a small fortune however!

Shaynelle