Linda Grant

Default req advice on buying gas dryer

Hello. My gas dryer is not economically feasible to repair (its very
old)
and I want to buy a new one. I've never had to buy a dryer before.
I found two that interests me and would like
some advice on which would be the better buy.

The first one is a Sears Kenmore with 22,000 BTU's. The other one is a
Maytag with 18,000 BTU's of heating power. My understanding is that it
would be better to buy the dryer with more BTU's. Is this correct?
Would the difference in BTU's be significant in its abilty to dry
clothes.

The Maytag is somewhat more expensive but not a great deal. It has a
door that swings open while the Kenmore has a drop-down hamper door. I
like the
door that swings open better.

Thankyou.

jeff

Linda Grant wrote in message .1.4...

Hi,

The first one is a Sears Kenmore with 22,000 BTU's. The other one is a
Maytag with 18,000 BTU's of heating power. My understanding is that it
would be better to buy the dryer with more BTU's. Is this correct?
Would the difference in BTU's be significant in its abilty to dry
clothes.

Very little differences. Air flow and tumbling has more effect on
drying that that little difference of BTU's would have. 140ºF in the
drum is the same no matter which burner you use to get there.

This might help?...
http://www.checkbook.org/bargains/prodtext/maedr.htm

The Maytag is somewhat more expensive but not a great deal. It has a
door that swings open while the Kenmore has a drop-down hamper door. I
like the
door that swings open better.

Some consumer opinions....
http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Large_A...All-Dryers-Gas

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
Joseph Meehan

Linda Grant wrote:
Hello. My gas dryer is not economically feasible to repair (its very
old)
and I want to buy a new one. I've never had to buy a dryer before.
I found two that interests me and would like
some advice on which would be the better buy.

The first one is a Sears Kenmore with 22,000 BTU's. The other one is a
Maytag with 18,000 BTU's of heating power. My understanding is that it
would be better to buy the dryer with more BTU's. Is this correct?
Would the difference in BTU's be significant in its abilty to dry
clothes.

The Maytag is somewhat more expensive but not a great deal. It has a
door that swings open while the Kenmore has a drop-down hamper door. I
like the
door that swings open better.

Thankyou.

The BTU input has very little to do with a dryer's performance. Other
design factors are much more important. Remember that the gas is on ONLY
when it is called for. It heats the dryer up to the design temperature and
then, like your furnance, it cycles on and off to keep it at that
temperature. I would suggest that too high a BTU input would be at least as
bad as too small.

There are so many factors and so few universal standards that it is
difficult to use figures to make much of a determination. I suggest you
consult sources like "Consumer Reports" magazine (back issues are available
in most public libraries) for information. Read the whole article not just
the ratings.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

John Gilmer

Maybe it's just me, but I believe Maytag is "cashing in" on it's reputation.
IOW: it's likely a little overpriced for what you get in terms of
reliability and performance.

OTOH I bought a Sears GAS dryer some 16 years ago. The gas control failed
the first week but Sears fixed it without any charge. IT lasted about 15
years before the tenant got rid of it and replaced it with electric.

At the time, most dryers were offered in electric or gas versions with the
GAS version costing about $60 more.

Anyway, were I you and I wanted GAS, I would go for the Sears product. (Oh,
I think the down opening door it better because you don't drop as many
clothes on the floor.)

Linda Grant

(jeff) wrote in news:ec3e9984.0409140304.29489a41
@posting.google.com:

http://www.checkbook.org/bargains/prodtext/maedr.htm

thanks. that was very helpful.

Linda Grant

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

Linda Grant wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I didnt know that. I always thought more was better.