Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT: Ring The Door Bell, Dammit

Attention Delivery Drivers:

When you deliver a package, ring the damn door bell. Don't just drop it-
or toss it- near the front door and run.

If you don't, it can sit there for hours- or even overnight- offering up
a fat target to porch pirates...or getting soaked in the rain- like
yesterday's delivery by the Amazon van.

--
Do those €œGun Free Zone- No Weapons€ signs on some store and office
building front doors keep you safer- or put you at greater risk?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 7:08:23 AM UTC-5, Wade Garrett wrote:
Attention Delivery Drivers:

When you deliver a package, ring the damn door bell. Don't just drop it-
or toss it- near the front door and run.

If you don't, it can sit there for hours- or even overnight- offering up
a fat target to porch pirates...or getting soaked in the rain- like
yesterday's delivery by the Amazon van.

--
Do those €œGun Free Zone- No Weapons€ signs on some store and office
building front doors keep you safer- or put you at greater risk?

Here's a chance for an invention. Make an outdoor rug that rings a doorbell
if it has weight on it for a few seconds or minutes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/10/2021 8:08 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Attention Delivery Drivers:

When you deliver a package, ring the damn door bell. Don't just drop it-
or toss it- near the front door and run.

If you don't, it can sit there for hours- or even overnight- offering up
a fat target to porch pirates...or getting soaked in the rain- like
yesterday's delivery by the Amazon van.

While I agree with you, there is a solution. Ring doorbell. You get a
notice even if not home.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/06/2021 14:22, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/10/2021 8:08 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Attention Delivery Drivers:

When you deliver a package, ring the damn door bell. Don't just drop
it- or toss it- near the front door and run.

If you don't, it can sit there for hours- or even overnight- offering
up a fat target to porch pirates...or getting soaked in the rain- like
yesterday's delivery by the Amazon van.

While I agree with you, there is a solution.Â* Ring doorbell.Â* You get a
notice even if not home.

That won't help with the package left out in the rain if he isn't at
home. Maybe he could then ring a neighbour to take it in though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 9:29:43 AM UTC-4, Bod wrote:
On 10/06/2021 14:22, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/10/2021 8:08 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Attention Delivery Drivers:

When you deliver a package, ring the damn door bell. Don't just drop
it- or toss it- near the front door and run.

If you don't, it can sit there for hours- or even overnight- offering
up a fat target to porch pirates...or getting soaked in the rain- like
yesterday's delivery by the Amazon van.

While I agree with you, there is a solution. Ring doorbell. You get a
notice even if not home.

That won't help with the package left out in the rain if he isn't at
home. Maybe he could then ring a neighbour to take it in though.

The delivery guy ringing the doorbell won't help either if he isn't at home.

Another option is the Amazon app on a smartphone. I know when my
packages are 10 stops away and can track them from that point on.

Again, doesn't help if you're not home, but you could head home once the
delivery is close.

The most foolproof option might be to use an Amazon locker, assuming
you have them in your area. Safe, secure and dry. You can drop off returns
also. No lines, just put your package in the assigned locker and you're done.

Here's what they look like:

https://media.gvwire.com/wp-content/...ms-image-3.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/10/2021 5:17 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 7:08:23 AM UTC-5, Wade Garrett wrote:
Attention Delivery Drivers:

When you deliver a package, ring the damn door bell. Don't just drop it-
or toss it- near the front door and run.

If you don't, it can sit there for hours- or even overnight- offering up
a fat target to porch pirates...or getting soaked in the rain- like
yesterday's delivery by the Amazon van.

--
Do those €œGun Free Zone- No Weapons€ signs on some store and office
building front doors keep you safer- or put you at greater risk?

Here's a chance for an invention. Make an outdoor rug that rings a doorbell
if it has weight on it for a few seconds or minutes.

Or just install an IR sensor that makes a noise inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/10/2021 8:08 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Attention Delivery Drivers:

When you deliver a package, ring the damn door bell. Don't just drop it-
or toss it- near the front door and run.

If you don't, it can sit there for hours- or even overnight- offering up
a fat target to porch pirates...or getting soaked in the rain- like
yesterday's delivery by the Amazon van.

No theft problem where I live but have walked out the front door nearly
tripping over packages left there. Also nearly run over one put near my
garage under the overhang.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wade Garrett wrote

Attention Delivery Drivers:

When you deliver a package, ring the damn door bell. Don't just drop it-
or toss it- near the front door and run.

If you don't, it can sit there for hours- or even overnight- offering up a
fat target to porch pirates...or getting soaked in the rain- like
yesterday's delivery by the Amazon van.

Thats what decent security cameras are for, tell you
that someone approached the front door and dropped
something there so you can bring it inside.

And if there is no one home to do that, you send the
footage to Amazon and get another delivered properly. `

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 7:08:23 AM UTC-5, Wade Garrett wrote:
Attention Delivery Drivers:

When you deliver a package, ring the damn door bell. Don't just drop it-
or toss it- near the front door and run.

If you don't, it can sit there for hours- or even overnight- offering up
a fat target to porch pirates...or getting soaked in the rain- like
yesterday's delivery by the Amazon van.

--
Do those €œGun Free Zone- No Weapons€ signs on some store and office
building front doors keep you safer- or put you at greater risk?

Here's a chance for an invention. Make an outdoor rug that rings
a doorbell if it has weight on it for a few seconds or minutes.

Makes a lot more sense to do it with a surveillance camera.
Buyable right now from Ring and Arlo.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 8:08:23 AM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
Attention Delivery Drivers:

When you deliver a package, ring the damn door bell. Don't just drop it-
or toss it- near the front door and run.

If you don't, it can sit there for hours- or even overnight- offering up
a fat target to porch pirates...or getting soaked in the rain- like
yesterday's delivery by the Amazon van.

Attention Delivery Drivers:

Go to the back door and place the package on the table that we have
provided, underneath the overhang that will protect it from the elements.

We'll get a text or e-mail when you've recorded the delivery.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:33:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 8:08:23 AM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
Attention Delivery Drivers:

When you deliver a package, ring the damn door bell. Don't just drop it-
or toss it- near the front door and run.

If you don't, it can sit there for hours- or even overnight- offering up
a fat target to porch pirates...or getting soaked in the rain- like
yesterday's delivery by the Amazon van.

Attention Delivery Drivers:

Go to the back door and place the package on the table that we have
provided, underneath the overhang that will protect it from the elements.

I sure hope that that is your version of sarcasm.

We'll get a text or e-mail when you've recorded the delivery.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/10/2021 1:18 PM, Marilyn Manson wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:33:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 8:08:23 AM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
Attention Delivery Drivers:

When you deliver a package, ring the damn door bell. Don't just drop it-
or toss it- near the front door and run.

If you don't, it can sit there for hours- or even overnight- offering up
a fat target to porch pirates...or getting soaked in the rain- like
yesterday's delivery by the Amazon van.

Attention Delivery Drivers:

Go to the back door and place the package on the table that we have
provided, underneath the overhang that will protect it from the elements.

I sure hope that that is your version of sarcasm.

Why do you say that? With UPS you can specify where to leave a package.
My mailman did that too, putting things on a bench.

also get a text. Are you signed up for USPS Informed Delivery? UPS?
FexEx? They all have apps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 08:08:17 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

Attention Delivery Drivers:

When you deliver a package, ring the damn door bell. Don't just drop it-
or toss it- near the front door and run.

If you don't, it can sit there for hours- or even overnight- offering up
a fat target to porch pirates...or getting soaked in the rain- like
yesterday's delivery by the Amazon van.

Maybe Amazon should give you a sign. "Ring" or "Don't Ring".
I don't want the Amazon guy playing ding dong ditch at my house.
OTOH I don't live in a place where porch piracy is a huge problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 13:56:02 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

That is what I have here. I have a bench under cover and they leave
the packages there. It is protected by a watch snake.

http://gfretwell.com/wildlife/yellow%20rat%20snake.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Obnoxious Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 02:32:37 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Makes a lot more sense to do it with a surveillance camera.
Buyable right now from Ring and Arlo.

You can shove your surveillance camera up your senile arse, just like your
Alexa, your idiotic Philips Hue, your idiotPhone and your Google Maps,
senile twit.

--
Marland revealing the senile sociopath's pathology:
"You have mentioned Alexa in a couple of threads recently, it is not a real

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 1:18:47 PM UTC-4, Marilyn Manson wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:33:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 8:08:23 AM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
Attention Delivery Drivers:

When you deliver a package, ring the damn door bell. Don't just drop it-
or toss it- near the front door and run.

If you don't, it can sit there for hours- or even overnight- offering up
a fat target to porch pirates...or getting soaked in the rain- like
yesterday's delivery by the Amazon van.

Attention Delivery Drivers:

Go to the back door and place the package on the table that we have
provided, underneath the overhang that will protect it from the elements.

I sure hope that that is your version of sarcasm.

It's a little sarcastic, but it's also true. We want our packages delivered
to the back door. The table is mostly for our convenience (for example, to
set down a bag of groceries while I unlock the door), but it's also nice
to have packages put on it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 13:56:02 -0400, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to
digest...

[...]

+1 IIRC they all support delivery instructions. Like every person they have
good traits & bad. IDK if the people have instructions to ring the doorbell.
Jeff has got to squeeze the last penny out of everyone.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 1:56:07 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/10/2021 1:18 PM, Marilyn Manson wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:33:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 8:08:23 AM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
Attention Delivery Drivers:

When you deliver a package, ring the damn door bell. Don't just drop it-
or toss it- near the front door and run.

If you don't, it can sit there for hours- or even overnight- offering up
a fat target to porch pirates...or getting soaked in the rain- like
yesterday's delivery by the Amazon van.
Attention Delivery Drivers:

Go to the back door and place the package on the table that we have
provided, underneath the overhang that will protect it from the elements.

I sure hope that that is your version of sarcasm.

Why do you say that? With UPS you can specify where to leave a package.
My mailman did that too, putting things on a bench.

Is that bench in your backyard?

Delivery instructions are one thing, and a bench under cover is also a great
idea. It was the "back door" that I have a slight issue with.

UPS's language is "Shipments that do not require a signature can be left
in a safe place, out of sight and out of weather, at the driver's discretion.

Note the last 4 words.

I've seen some backyards that I wouldn't want to go into in the daylight,
never mind after the sun has set. I wonder how many UPS drivers use their
discretion and simply decide "I'm not going anywhere out of sight of the
street or my truck."

I wouldn't ask a delivery person to go to my back door even though I live in
a very quiet, safe, and essentially secluded neighborhood. I think it's too
much to ask a delivery person to navigate my steeply sloped walkway or
rustic stone steps down to my walk-out basement level back yard.

There is a huge number of possible hazards that could be encountered
in the backyard of any given dwelling and I don't feel that it is right to
ask a delivery person to take risks just so my precious package isn't
sitting on the front stoop for a few hours.

I order thousands of dollars worth of stuff on-line every year and I have
yet to have a single item stolen or ruined by the weather. I live in the rust
belt BTW, so it's not all sunshine and daisies.

also get a text. Are you signed up for USPS Informed Delivery? UPS?
FexEx? They all have apps.

And I have all their apps, plus the Amazon app. That also wasn't my point.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/10/2021 9:35 PM, Marilyn Manson wrote:
[...]

You do have to have some sensibility as my bench in the back was a short
walk, all level, paved or concrete.

There is a huge number of possible hazards that could be encountered
in the backyard of any given dwelling and I don't feel that it is right to
ask a delivery person to take risks just so my precious package isn't
sitting on the front stoop for a few hours.

If a hazard, driver discretion. Not everyone has hazards to the back
door. In my present house, it is front door and not visible from the
street. I'd not specify back door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 08:08:17 -0400, Wade Garrett wrote:

Attention Delivery Drivers:

When you deliver a package, ring the damn door bell. Don't just drop it-
or toss it- near the front door and run.

If you don't, it can sit there for hours- or even overnight- offering up
a fat target to porch pirates...or getting soaked in the rain- like
yesterday's delivery by the Amazon van.

Do you get packages that you weren't expecting? I can't remember the last
time that I have. When I order something, I track its delivery progress,
especially on the day of delivery.

My wife and I place orders with Amazon 2-4 times a week, so we're always
tracking multiple deliveries. Maybe we're just used to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/06/2021 04:44, Jim Joyce wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 08:08:17 -0400, Wade Garrett wrote:

Attention Delivery Drivers:

When you deliver a package, ring the damn door bell. Don't just drop it-
or toss it- near the front door and run.

If you don't, it can sit there for hours- or even overnight- offering up
a fat target to porch pirates...or getting soaked in the rain- like
yesterday's delivery by the Amazon van.

Do you get packages that you weren't expecting? I can't remember the last
time that I have. When I order something, I track its delivery progress,
especially on the day of delivery.

My wife and I place orders with Amazon 2-4 times a week, so we're always
tracking multiple deliveries. Maybe we're just used to it.

Same here and I've never had an Amazon driver not ring the bell.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 9:35:14 PM UTC-4, Marilyn Manson wrote:
[...]

Everybody's situation is different. I described mine. Yours is different,
and what works for me probably won't work for you. What works for
you probably won't work for other people, which was my point in posting
my original reply.

My neighborhood is safer than the one in which the UPS depot is located.
My yard is nearly flat and it's an easy walk to the patio door at the
back of the house. It's only about 40 feet longer than leaving things
on the front stoop.

The UPS guy is cool with all of that. It's the Amazon guys who are
prone to chuck the package at their first reasonable opportunity,
because Bezos is always pushing them. I'm pretty sure the UPS
guy isn't required to pee in a bottle so he can make more deliveries.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/11/21 5:50 AM, wrote:
[...]

Yah, and pitbulls are every delivery driver's best friend...just ask them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 7:03:03 AM UTC-4, Buck Fiden wrote:
On 6/11/21 5:50 AM, wrote:
[...]

WTF? I don't have a dog. My yard isn't even fenced. Where, precisely, did
I suggest that everybody receive their deliveries at the back door?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 5:50:31 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Amazon sells it, I wonder if Amazon drivers honor it. ;-)

https://www.amazon.com/Deliver-Packa.../dp/B07SV5BG58

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/10/21 7:17 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

[snip]

Here's a chance for an invention. Make an outdoor rug that rings a doorbell
if it has weight on it for a few seconds or minutes.

Then, how do you make sure they leave the package on the rug?

I have a little metal table next to my front door for packages (it's
also behind a hedge so the package is hard to see from the street).
Packages ae often left on the ground.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"A humanist is an atheist who cares." -- Dr. Wendell Watters
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/10/21 8:35 PM, Marilyn Manson wrote:

[snip]

I've seen some backyards that I wouldn't want to go into in the daylight,
never mind after the sun has set. I wonder how many UPS drivers use their
discretion and simply decide "I'm not going anywhere out of sight of the
street or my truck."

Like the one with two dogs (including an 82-pound pit bull) barking.

--
"Religion has always been the wound, not the bandage." -- Dennis Potter
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 02:50:27 -0700 (PDT), posted for all
of us to digest...

I'm pretty sure the UPS
guy isn't required to pee in a bottle so he can make more deliveries.

Nope, when I worked at the school district they always knew the way to the
bathrooms. If they didn't have a heavy schedule they may even stop and talk to
you.

My newest bug with Bezos is the drivers making abrupt stops at driveways, every
driveway, it seems they can't figure out that 1 comes before 2. U-turns,
veering and abrupt braking are signs. Watch out for every color van not just
the Amazon color. They often lease vans.

I once had a Bezo buddy leave a delivery at an unused side door that is covered
by a small tree & weeds. I had to look at the delivery picture to find it. Just
ignore that ramp with the door...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 08:57:22 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn Manson posted for all of us
to digest...

[...]

Hmm, I could think of some custom made signs from that page.

--
Tekkie