Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wire Door Bell to Ring LOUD Out Back?

I admit, normally, I extensively search before I post. But wasn't
sure how to "explain" this issue.

Wife's VERY old aunt is still pretty mobile. But she likes to work in
the backyard of her suburban tract home on nice days.

She's a sociable sort and actually has a fair number of visitors
during the week. If she is gardening in the backyard, people ring the
bell and she doesn't hear it.

My solution was to leave door unlocked so friends could come through.
Other relatives are agast at my solution. So, solution 2 is to have
some sort of set-up so if someone rings front door bell, it rings loud
in the back.

I figure some of you experts would know how to do this and could
explain it to that even a electrical nimcompoop such as myself could
follow your direction.

Any brave souls?
Posted to alt.home.repair

tim birr wrote:
I admit, normally, I extensively search before I post. But wasn't
sure how to "explain" this issue.

Wife's VERY old aunt is still pretty mobile. But she likes to work in
the backyard of her suburban tract home on nice days.

She's a sociable sort and actually has a fair number of visitors
during the week. If she is gardening in the backyard, people ring the
bell and she doesn't hear it.

My solution was to leave door unlocked so friends could come through.
Other relatives are agast at my solution. So, solution 2 is to have
some sort of set-up so if someone rings front door bell, it rings loud
in the back.

I figure some of you experts would know how to do this and could
explain it to that even a electrical nimcompoop such as myself could
follow your direction.

Any brave souls?

Buy one of the "wireless" doorbell systems. Add the second doorbell near the
origional, with a "if no answer, try this one" sign. Some of them are quite
noisy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

tim birr wrote:
I admit, normally, I extensively search before I post. But wasn't
sure how to "explain" this issue.

Wife's VERY old aunt is still pretty mobile. But she likes to work in
the backyard of her suburban tract home on nice days.

She's a sociable sort and actually has a fair number of visitors
during the week. If she is gardening in the backyard, people ring the
bell and she doesn't hear it.

My solution was to leave door unlocked so friends could come through.
Other relatives are agast at my solution. So, solution 2 is to have
some sort of set-up so if someone rings front door bell, it rings loud
in the back.

I figure some of you experts would know how to do this and could
explain it to that even a electrical nimcompoop such as myself could
follow your direction.

Any brave souls?

a sign stating: go around back if doorbell not answered.

Posted to alt.home.repair

tim birr wrote:

My solution was to leave door unlocked so friends could come through.
Other relatives are agast at my solution. So, solution 2 is to have
some sort of set-up so if someone rings front door bell, it rings loud
in the back.

Just splice in a line from your existing doorbell, and run it to another
doorbell (bell, buzzer, what have you), which you place it outside, or in a
location where it is heard in the backyard. Make sure it's the same voltage
as the existing one, and have at it.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"tim birr" wrote in message
I admit, normally, I extensively search before I post. But wasn't
sure how to "explain" this issue.

Wife's VERY old aunt is still pretty mobile. But she likes to work in
the backyard of her suburban tract home on nice days.

She's a sociable sort and actually has a fair number of visitors
during the week. If she is gardening in the backyard, people ring the
bell and she doesn't hear it.

My solution was to leave door unlocked so friends could come through.
Other relatives are agast at my solution. So, solution 2 is to have
some sort of set-up so if someone rings front door bell, it rings loud
in the back.

I figure some of you experts would know how to do this and could
explain it to that even a electrical nimcompoop such as myself could
follow your direction.

Any brave souls?

I'm not a big fan of wireless doorbell systems, as many of them don't work
properly unless you hold your finger on the button for an inordinate amount
of time. You could add a second bell to the system, but unless you also get
a double sized transformer to power the two chimes, you'll just get two dim
ringers. In my opinion the easiest solution is to get a bell chime extender.
This is a simple two piece set. One part connects to the existing chime's 3
terminals. Front-Trans-Rear, and the ringer part just plugs into any outlet
in the house. In your situation it could be plugged into a back porch,
outside outlet, or even an extension cord. When someone rings the front
bell, this doohickey sends a signal to the extended ringer and they both
ring simultaneously. You can also use several ringers at multiple locations.
Here is a link: http://www.smarthome.com/5081/Plug-I...A-Chime/p.aspx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 14:29:06 -0700 (PDT), tim birr
wrote:

I admit, normally, I extensively search before I post. But wasn't
sure how to "explain" this issue.

Wife's VERY old aunt is still pretty mobile. But she likes to work in
the backyard of her suburban tract home on nice days.

She's a sociable sort and actually has a fair number of visitors
during the week. If she is gardening in the backyard, people ring the
bell and she doesn't hear it.

My solution was to leave door unlocked so friends could come through.
Other relatives are agast at my solution. So, solution 2 is to have
some sort of set-up so if someone rings front door bell, it rings loud
in the back.

I figure some of you experts would know how to do this and could
explain it to that even a electrical nimcompoop such as myself could
follow your direction.

Any brave souls?

A low voltage bell, like this might work.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Low-Voltage-Bell-1FD16

"Low-voltage, surface-mount devices are ideal for store rooms, back
offices, and office waiting areas."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Get a baby monitor. Plug in the base near the front door. Have Ma
carry the remote. Big sign on front door. Press bell, then talk into
baby monitor to tell Ma you're here.

Mechanical church bell, and chain to pull?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"tim birr" wrote in message
I admit, normally, I extensively search before I post. But wasn't
sure how to "explain" this issue.

Wife's VERY old aunt is still pretty mobile. But she likes to work in
the backyard of her suburban tract home on nice days.

She's a sociable sort and actually has a fair number of visitors
during the week. If she is gardening in the backyard, people ring the
bell and she doesn't hear it.

My solution was to leave door unlocked so friends could come through.
Other relatives are agast at my solution. So, solution 2 is to have
some sort of set-up so if someone rings front door bell, it rings loud
in the back.

I figure some of you experts would know how to do this and could
explain it to that even a electrical nimcompoop such as myself could
follow your direction.

Any brave souls?

Dispense with bell wire? Yvonne[_2_] UK diy 7 August 12th 09 05:14 PM
Bell Wire Q TheScullster UK diy 21 April 21st 09 06:45 PM
door bell Janice UK diy 14 April 9th 09 09:20 PM
fa: loud phone bell (ringer) to install in your shop William Noble Woodturning 1 December 20th 06 09:31 PM
Intercom / phone with LOUD ring Bob G. Home Repair 6 July 29th 05 03:02 PM