Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 1980's Hotpoint stove digital clock problem

Our lovely old stove 1980's Hotpoint stove has worked flawlessly for decades but yesterday, the digital clock and temp control screen went black. The stovetop and oven still work but I have no idea if I can control the oven temperature anymore since the digital readout doesn't work. I don't have an oven thermometer either and getting one right now takes effort due to the pandemic lockdown here. Before I put in the effort to order more fuses to replace potentially blown old ones, I need to know if the display is off because of a blown fuse, or is the clock / temp control beyond repair.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...m-3119359-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 6:31:17 PM UTC-5, liz wrote:
Our lovely old stove 1980's Hotpoint stove has worked flawlessly for decades but yesterday, the digital clock and temp control screen went black. The stovetop and oven still work but I have no idea if I can control the oven temperature anymore since the digital readout doesn't work. I don't have an oven thermometer either and getting one right now takes effort due to the pandemic lockdown here. Before I put in the effort to order more fuses to replace potentially blown old ones, I need to know if the display is off because of a blown fuse, or is the clock / temp control beyond repair.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...m-3119359-.htm

The first step would be to test whatever fuses there might be. You don't need a million dollar meter. A simple
automotive circuit tester would do the trick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 May 2021 17:01:26 -0700 (PDT), Dean Hoffman posted for all of us to
digest...

[...]

I wouldn't use a simple automotive circuit tester because auto is 12 volts and
the stove clock is potentially 120/240.

Check the fuses first. Did you recently have a power event? You could try
"rebooting" the stove by disconnecting all power for a minute or so then re-
powering. REport back your progress.

A 40 year old stove may not be worth repairing, even if there are parts
available...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 May 2021 15:33:44 -0400, Tekkie©
wrote:

[...]

Don't know about HotPoint - but had the same problem on Frigidaire
and was lucky to get one of the last three display modules 3 years ago
and had the timer/control rebuilt by the company in Montreal PQ who
had the forsite to have had a batch made several years previous. They
said when those 3 were gone they were no longer repairable as they
could not get any more of them produced (vacuum EL display)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 3:33:44 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

If you remove the fuse, it is no longer 120, nor is it 12, nor 12000. Take the fuse out and check continuity with any tester of any voltage.

I don't know why a fuse would blow suddenly though. The fuses in my stove run the outlet not the controls, so I could blow them by plugging in a coffee pot maybe, but in your case I would think it might be the display gone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I think Dean meant to check the fuses when they are out of the circuit. A lot going
on here, like are fuses blowing and if so, why. If it needs a new display, poster can
find the price for one, if it's still available at all. Given the price of parts and the age,
a new stove is probably the right option.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/2021 5:01 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

And try wiggling each of the electrical connectors to the display module.