newsgroups

Default light duty shaper Delta WWII to about 1980

Hi:

I am considering buying a second hand Delta shaper with a 1/2 inch spindle.
This looks to be a very solid semi table top type machine.

How large a spindle can I put on this machine if I am careful and are there
larger spindles available for this machine?

Thanks,
FRED

that shaper is a real find...built like a battle ship.....you can
reduce 3/4" bore shaper cutters to 1/2" to fit your 1/2"spindle...be
careful with large raised panel cutters and you should be fine.....I
would not go any larger.
Happy woodworking
Mike from American Sycamore

Duane Bozarth

newsgroups wrote:

Hi:

I am considering buying a second hand Delta shaper with a 1/2 inch spindle.
This looks to be a very solid semi table top type machine.

How large a spindle can I put on this machine if I am careful and are there
larger spindles available for this machine?

Thanks,
FRED

Don't multipost--answered in alt.woodworking...
mike hide

"newsgroups" wrote in message
Hi:

I am considering buying a second hand Delta shaper with a 1/2 inch
spindle.
This looks to be a very solid semi table top type machine.

How large a spindle can I put on this machine if I am careful and are
there
larger spindles available for this machine?

Thanks,
FRED

Fred if you are in the Atlanta area I have one which needs work that you can
have for free......

John Martin

newsgroups wrote:
Hi:

I am considering buying a second hand Delta shaper with a 1/2 inch spindle.
This looks to be a very solid semi table top type machine.

How large a spindle can I put on this machine if I am careful and are there
larger spindles available for this machine?

Thanks,
FRED

The largest spindle available for the Delta light-duty shaper is 1/2".

I have a 3/4" spindle for mine, but it's one I made myself. The Delta
uses a two-piece spindle - a hollow outer spindle that runs in the
bearings with a taper ground in the end, and the interchangeable
working spindles that fit into the outer spindle. I made up a solid
spindle which replaces both pieces, but requires more work to change.

I feel better running large cutters - such as slip collars with raised
panel knives - with the 3/4" spindle, but there are lots of people who
run large cutters on the 1/2" spindles.

John Martin

Lowell Holmes

"newsgroups" wrote in message
Hi:

I am considering buying a second hand Delta shaper with a 1/2 inch
spindle.
This looks to be a very solid semi table top type machine.

How large a spindle can I put on this machine if I am careful and are
there
larger spindles available for this machine?

Thanks,
FRED

I have one. I use 3/4" cutters with bushings to fit the 1/2" spindle. I have
not found a stub spindle, which I would like to have. Mine is a Rockwell and
it is a solid machine.
It will raise panels and make doors all day long. :-)
--
Lowell Holmes

mike hide

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message
"newsgroups" wrote in message
Hi:

I am considering buying a second hand Delta shaper with a 1/2 inch
spindle.
This looks to be a very solid semi table top type machine.

How large a spindle can I put on this machine if I am careful and are
there
larger spindles available for this machine?

Thanks,
FRED

I have one. I use 3/4" cutters with bushings to fit the 1/2" spindle. I
have not found a stub spindle, which I would like to have. Mine is a
Rockwell and it is a solid machine.
It will raise panels and make doors all day long. :-)
--
Lowell Holmes

I too looked for a long time for a stub spindle .By the time I found one I
had found ways around it .

Lowell Holmes

"mike hide" wrote in message
. ..

I too looked for a long time for a stub spindle .By the time I found one I
had found ways around it .

And pray tell, what would that be? :-)
How about traditional sash making as shown in the Delta book "Getting the
most out of your Shaper"?

I have used hand tools to make the m&t joints, but the flat top to the
spindle would sure make the task easier.
--
Lowell Holmes

Duane Bozarth

Lowell Holmes wrote:

"mike hide" wrote in message
. ..

I too looked for a long time for a stub spindle .By the time I found one I
had found ways around it .

And pray tell, what would that be? :-)
How about traditional sash making as shown in the Delta book "Getting the
most out of your Shaper"?

I have used hand tools to make the m&t joints, but the flat top to the
spindle would sure make the task easier.

Last I knew the stub spindle was still available from Delta.
Unfortunately, they no longer make the 1/2" cutters to use w/ it and to
date I've found no one else making the undercutter for making the full
length tenon.

DAGS and it looks like it too, has been discontinued....looks like no
new accessories for the LD shaper are available any longer. I don't
know what would happen if needed repair parts...

I had talked briefly w/ one of the custom shaper cutter vendors about
making matching sash undercutters for 1/2" spindle to go w/ somebody's
existing sash set but never followed up. If there were several here
interested, we could probably get a few made for not too bad a cost/unit
by amortizing the setup costs across say six or so...
Duane Bozarth

John Martin wrote:

I have a 3/4" spindle for mine, but it's one I made myself. ...
I made up a solid
spindle which replaces both pieces, but requires more work to change.

How about some more on how/what you did, John? Sounds interesting. I
had thought about turning a replacement 3/4" to fit the existing, but
seemed too flimsy at the base to feel comfortable...

George

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
John Martin wrote:

I have a 3/4" spindle for mine, but it's one I made myself. ...
I made up a solid
spindle which replaces both pieces, but requires more work to change.

How about some more on how/what you did, John? Sounds interesting. I
had thought about turning a replacement 3/4" to fit the existing, but
seemed too flimsy at the base to feel comfortable...

Mine has a 3/4 listed as an option, but it's no longer available, of course.

Duane Bozarth

John Martin wrote:

I have a 3/4" spindle for mine, but it's one I made myself. ...
I made up a solid
spindle which replaces both pieces, but requires more work to change.

How about some more on how/what you did, John? Sounds interesting. I
had thought about turning a replacement 3/4" to fit the existing, but
seemed too flimsy at the base to feel comfortable...

Mine has a 3/4 listed as an option, but it's no longer available, of course.

I never saw a 3/4 as an option for the LD shaper going back to about '78
when I bought the first of three...

That would seem way too much for the way they were designed unless as
apparently did John, the whole thing were replaced.
George

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

I never saw a 3/4 as an option for the LD shaper going back to about '78
when I bought the first of three...

That would seem way too much for the way they were designed unless as
apparently did John, the whole thing were replaced.

You'll note the taper on your 1/2 is 3/4, I'm sure. Pretty much the same
strength if you don't shank it down.

Duane Bozarth

George wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

I never saw a 3/4 as an option for the LD shaper going back to about '78
when I bought the first of three...

That would seem way too much for the way they were designed unless as
apparently did John, the whole thing were replaced.

You'll note the taper on your 1/2 is 3/4, I'm sure. Pretty much the same
strength if you don't shank it down.

Don't follow you---there is no taper on the LD shaper replaceable
spindles--they're turned down to a small diameter to fit into the fixed
portion--don't have it handy but that portion is probably only 3/8".
Even though it's held, it just seems too small to me to hang a 3/4"
shaft off of...
John Martin

Duane Bozarth wrote:
Don't follow you---there is no taper on the LD shaper replaceable
spindles--they're turned down to a small diameter to fit into the fixed
portion--don't have it handy but that portion is probably only 3/8".
Even though it's held, it just seems too small to me to hang a 3/4"
shaft off of...

Actually, there is a taper there. But it's a locating taper, not a
holding one. It's around 45 degrees per side, and very short. The
spindles are held more by the short stub, 1/2" diameter or so, that
fits inside the hollow spindle. Ignore my measurements - they're
guesses from memory.

You're right in that the small holding area of the spindle would make
the 3/4" diameter somewhat useless.

For the solid spindle I made, I started with a piece of axle from the
junkyard. Annealed it in the fireplace. Removed the hollow spindle
from the shaper (large nut under pulley, then pulley and round key).
On one end of the axle I duplicated the hollow spindle - shoulder,
turned to fit the bearings, threaded for the nut, milled slot for the
round key. The other end I turned to 3/4", threaded for locknuts,
milled flats at the top for a wrench. I did not bother with a groove
at the top for an internally keyed lock washer as Delta uses for the
1/2" spindle, so I use an extra nut as a jam nut at the top. All in
all it's a pretty easy metal lathe job, with the only tough part being
getting the bearing fits right. I didn't heat treat afterward, but
feel that in it's annealed condition it's stronger than the heat
treated 1/2" spindle. Turned a bunch of spacers to fit.

I've also made up spindles to fit the hollow spindle - a 5/16" to take
the small cutters, and 1/4" and 1/2" chucks to take router bits. Those
chucks are simply bored spindles with set screws to hold the bits.
They don't hold quite as true as a collet in a router would, but they
work well.

John Martin

George

"John Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Actually, there is a taper there. But it's a locating taper, not a
holding one. It's around 45 degrees per side, and very short. The
spindles are held more by the short stub, 1/2" diameter or so, that
fits inside the hollow spindle. Ignore my measurements - they're
guesses from memory.

Mine has a stud and a tapered nut to lock down the upper taper which is, as
I said 3/4. Must be some break point in the 70's where they changed that?

Duane Bozarth

George wrote:

"John Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Actually, there is a taper there. But it's a locating taper, not a
holding one. It's around 45 degrees per side, and very short. The
spindles are held more by the short stub, 1/2" diameter or so, that
fits inside the hollow spindle. Ignore my measurements - they're
guesses from memory.

Mine has a stud and a tapered nut to lock down the upper taper which is, as
I said 3/4. Must be some break point in the 70's where they changed that?

I don't think so on the LD...the same stub shaft that was on Amazon
yesterday (as unavailable and it wasn't there today when I went to
reference it so I guess my hitting an unavailable part triggered their
update robot) is the one that fits my circa '75 machines.
Duane Bozarth

John Martin wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:
[...]

Nice idea...I had never actually looked at how the hollow spindle was
attached.

The locating groove on mine aren't tapers either, there is just a milled
hollow to align and prevent rotation against the small balls on the
inner surface of the hollow shaft....
Duane Bozarth

Duane Bozarth wrote:

George wrote:

"John Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Actually, there is a taper there. But it's a locating taper, not a
holding one. It's around 45 degrees per side, and very short. The
spindles are held more by the short stub, 1/2" diameter or so, that
fits inside the hollow spindle. Ignore my measurements - they're
guesses from memory.

Mine has a stud and a tapered nut to lock down the upper taper which is, as
I said 3/4. Must be some break point in the 70's where they changed that?

I don't think so on the LD...the same stub shaft that was on Amazon
yesterday (as unavailable and it wasn't there today when I went to
reference it so I guess my hitting an unavailable part triggered their
update robot) is the one that fits my circa '75 machines.

Just dawned on me...you're talking about the base of the spindle above
where it's turned down to the small diameter...that part is of very
little consequence other than for providing a base for the cutters to
ride on and a shelf for the tensioning rod to tighten against--it
doesn't proved any rotational strength which is limited by the turned
down lower shaft---that's what concerns me about using larger cutters on
the LD shaper.

I was mistaking your comment to be refering to the lower end and that it
was a tapered fit, sorry...