Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default 1980's Hotpoint stove digital clock problem

On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 3:33:44 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 17 May 2021 17:01:26 -0700 (PDT), Dean Hoffman posted for all of us to
digest...

On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 6:31:17 PM UTC-5, liz wrote:
Our lovely old stove 1980's Hotpoint stove has worked flawlessly for decades but yesterday, the digital clock and temp control screen went black.. The stovetop and oven still work but I have no idea if I can control the oven temperature anymore since the digital readout doesn't work. I don't have an oven thermometer either and

getting one right now takes effort due to the pandemic lockdown here. Before I put in the effort to order more fuses to replace potentially blown old ones, I need to know if the display is off because of a blown fuse, or is the clock / temp control beyond repair.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...m-3119359-.htm

The first step would be to test whatever fuses there might be. You don't need a million dollar meter. A simple
automotive circuit tester would do the trick.

I wouldn't use a simple automotive circuit tester because auto is 12 volts and
the stove clock is potentially 120/240.

I think Dean meant to check the fuses when they are out of the circuit. A lot going
on here, like are fuses blowing and if so, why. If it needs a new display, poster can
find the price for one, if it's still available at all. Given the price of parts and the age,
a new stove is probably the right option.