Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does warm weather make grass plump and easier to mow?????

My eletric lawn mower has for years occasionally left cresent-shaped
strips an inch wide, even though I was sure I'd covered the area.

Suddenly this spring, the same mower seems to barely cut.

But I usually don't get started mowing this early, when it's still cool
out. 60 to 65.

Does warm weather make grass plump and easier to mow?????

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 May 2021 15:19:17 -0400, micky
wrote:

My eletric lawn mower has for years occasionally left cresent-shaped
strips an inch wide, even though I was sure I'd covered the area.
Suddenly this spring, the same mower seems to barely cut.
But I usually don't get started mowing this early, when it's still cool
out. 60 to 65.
Does warm weather make grass plump and easier to mow?????

Clean out all the old and new grass build-up from the deck.
and clean & sharpen the blade.

https://tinyurl.com/454m9nj6

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My elecric lawn mower has for years occasionally left cresent-shaped
strips an inch wide, even though I was sure I'd covered the area.
Suddenly this spring, the same mower seems to barely cut.
But I usually don't get started mowing this early, when it's still cool
out. 60 to 65.
Does warm weather make grass plump and easier to mow?????

Clean out all the old and new grass build-up from the deck.
and clean & sharpen the blade.
https://tinyurl.com/454m9nj6
John T.

I appreciate your going to the trouble to answer.
But despite that, the question is still pending.
Does warm weather make grass plump and easier to mow?????
Does warm weather make grass easier to mow for any reason at all?????

Warm or cool weather - doesn't matter ... if your deck is
all clogged up with grass and your blade is gummed up
and dull - you'll get a poor result. Be sure to unplug it.

https://tinyurl.com/jbvf2a8p

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 May 2021 19:58:18 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 11 May 2021 15:52:27 -0400,

It makes it juicier but not necessarily easier to cut

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 11 May 2021 22:25:10 -0400,
wrote:

[...]

Then it's very strange that it's cut just about the same for years, and
all of a sudden it's doing so much worse this week.

I'm even tempted to not sharpen the blade until after it gets hot here,
to see if maybe you and Clare are wrong, at least about my grass, and it
does cut better when hot out, even with the same lawn mower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Sharpen the damned thing!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/21 3:19 PM, micky wrote:
My eletric lawn mower has for years occasionally left cresent-shaped
strips an inch wide, even though I was sure I'd covered the area.

My dinosaur-juice injected Kohler Command Pro has never done that. What kind of wimpy electric mower you got?
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Have you had meaningful discussions with all your neighbours about
your grass conundrum ? Perhaps they have similar experiences and
could help you ? You could champion a neighbourhood support group
and have meetings - be sure to post the minutes here for our
edification. I'd also like to know about the snacks at your
meetings - gluten free ?
If all that fails, you might consider cleaning your deck and
sharpening the blade. Just a thought.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 May 2021 07:04:28 -0400, Moe Zarrela
wrote:

On 5/11/21 3:19 PM, micky wrote:
My eletric lawn mower has for years occasionally left cresent-shaped
strips an inch wide, even though I was sure I'd covered the area.

My dinosaur-juice injected Kohler Command Pro has never done that.
What kind of wimpy electric mower you got?

Micky probably has something like this :

https://tinyurl.com/39yudy4t

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Seems very strange that if it's temperature related, you're only experiencing
it this year, in early May, but not in other years. I mow the lawn every year
into December, sometimes into early January. Cuts the same. Those later
mowings are weeks apart, just to even it out and make it look great again
as it;s still slowly growing.

I'm even tempted to not sharpen the blade until after it gets hot here,
to see if maybe you and Clare are wrong, at least about my grass, and it
does cut better when hot out, even with the same lawn mower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

In other years, maybe every year, I haven't gotten around to mowing the
lawn for weeks. The lot is tucked away and I have a picket fence and
bushes, so the neighbors can't see** how bad my lawn looks, but still I
am ashamed that I haven't taken better care of it. **One neighbor, not
a real close one but who drives by frequently, told me she'd been here
10 years and never knew my house was here.

I mow the lawn every year
into December, sometimes into early January.

Wow. I think mine stops growing before than, and I live south of you.

Cuts the same.

There is still the theoretical possibility that it's dehydrated in the
spring, but once the hot weather plumps it up, the cool or cold weather
doesn't have the opposite effect until maybe march. I doubt this a
lot, but who knows.

As to the recommendations from some for me to sharpen the blade, it's
much more important to me to investigate this than to mow the lawn.

Science for its own sake.

Those later
mowings are weeks apart, just to even it out and make it look great again
as it;s still slowly growing.

Maybe mine does too. I'll have to check.

I'm even tempted to not sharpen the blade until after it gets hot here,
to see if maybe you and Clare are wrong, at least about my grass, and it
does cut better when hot out, even with the same lawn mower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 12 May 2021 07:04:28 -0400, Moe Zarrela
wrote:

On 5/11/21 3:19 PM, micky wrote:
My eletric lawn mower has for years occasionally left cresent-shaped
strips an inch wide, even though I was sure I'd covered the area.

My dinosaur-juice injected Kohler Command Pro has never done that. What kind of wimpy electric mower you got?

It's an AC-powered Black and Decker full-size. Has a place to attach a
bag for clippings.

I was a couple blocks away and one of my n'bors had the smallest mower
I'd ever seen
https://www.amazon.com/Sun-Joe-MJ401...778/ref=sr_1_8
Cordless. It doesn't look that small in the pictures here but it's the
cutest thing. It has a handle in the middle and barely weighs anything,
even with the battery.

She had a matching weed-wacker too. Very fashionable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/11/21 3:19 PM, micky wrote:
My eletric lawn mower has for years occasionally left cresent-shaped
strips an inch wide, even though I was sure I'd covered the area.

My dinosaur-juice injected Kohler Command Pro has never done that. What kind of wimpy electric mower you got?

It's an AC-powered Black and Decker full-size. Has a place to attach a
bag for clippings.

I was a couple blocks away and one of my n'bors had the smallest mower
I'd ever seen
https://www.amazon.com/Sun-Joe-MJ401...778/ref=sr_1_8
Cordless. It doesn't look that small in the pictures here but it's the
cutest thing. It has a handle in the middle and barely weighs anything,
even with the battery.

14" blade!

She had a matching weed-wacker too. Very fashionable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/11/21 3:19 PM, micky wrote:
My eletric lawn mower has for years occasionally left cresent-shaped
strips an inch wide, even though I was sure I'd covered the area.

My dinosaur-juice injected Kohler Command Pro has never done that. What kind of wimpy electric mower you got?

It's an AC-powered Black and Decker full-size. Has a place to attach a
bag for clippings.

I was a couple blocks away and one of my n'bors had the smallest mower
I'd ever seen
https://www.amazon.com/Sun-Joe-MJ401...778/ref=sr_1_8
Cordless. It doesn't look that small in the pictures here but it's the
cutest thing. It has a handle in the middle and barely weighs anything,
even with the battery.

14" blade! She has a teeny front yard so it's all she needs. (the
back yards vary in size but none of them are very big.)

She had a matching weed-wacker too. Very fashionable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/2021 2:19 PM, micky wrote:
My eletric lawn mower has for years occasionally left cresent-shaped
strips an inch wide, even though I was sure I'd covered the area.

Suddenly this spring, the same mower seems to barely cut.

But I usually don't get started mowing this early, when it's still cool
out. 60 to 65.

Does warm weather make grass plump and easier to mow?????

Not necessarily. In fact it may make it dryer. This is definitely
a factor in my yard. My philosophy is 'if its green its grass'. So
in the Spring my yard has a lot of soft wet grass that tends to bog
the mower. I have to clean under the deck much more frequently.
I also sharpen the blade in the Spring. Then in the middle of the
summer the grass is a summer grass which is
drier and stiffer, so that the blade can cut
it more readily, and it doesn't tend to stick under the deck and
bog the mower. I have a 56V EGO mower. In the Spring I frequently
run the battery down when mowing the back yard. Later when it dries
out I can mow the whole yard without stopping.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

How long has it been since you sharpened (or replaced) the blade?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I havent' sharpened it for years, but it cut the same year after year
until suddenly between last fall and now, it started cutting not nearly
as well.

To everyone who wants me to sharpen the blade, of course that will make
a difference. That was not, is not my question. My question is, What
is different now from last fall? And how can it become so different
over one winter compared to all the years before then when it was about
the same?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 12 May 2021 08:11:58 -0500, Bill Gill
wrote:

[...]

I really like your answer. If I'd used a word different from "plump", I
think I'd have gotten a Yes. Yes, drier and stiffer might be exactly
what I meant. I don't have a plump-meter, so I was guessing that it
could be un-plump now and plump later. I guess I forgot what warm
weather was like, and I was thinking that the heat would make the water
rise in the grass, but you've been paying more attention than I have.
And I guess other factors make the water rise, maybe just the difference
between 45 and below vs. 50 and above.

Your answer is actually so helpful that if I were one of the other
readers, I'd be suspicious that I'd paid you to write it.

I will examine the grass today and try to remember what it was like to
compare with the June grass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

How long has it been since you sharpened (or replaced) the blade?
Cindy Hamilton

I havent' sharpened it for years, but it cut the same year after year
until suddenly between last fall and now, it started cutting not nearly
as well.
To everyone who wants me to sharpen the blade, of course that will make
a difference. That was not, is not my question. My question is, What
is different now from last fall? And how can it become so different
over one winter compared to all the years before then when it was about
the same?

I wonder if it would help to sharpen the blade
and clean out the deck ? If you were to do it while sitting
outside on the lawn - you'd get some fresh air and sunshine
and enjoy the bees buzzing on Pretty Yellow Lawn Flowers !
... wear some paisley and tie-dye and commune with the grass,
one blade at a time. You might be surprised how your
grass-anxiety just floats away on the dandilion fluffs.
Then mow the lawn and admire how well it looks, at long last.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I will examine the grass today and try to remember what it was like to
compare with the June grass.

Commune with it. Be the grass.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/2021 12:19 PM, micky wrote:
My eletric lawn mower has for years occasionally left cresent-shaped
strips an inch wide, even though I was sure I'd covered the area.

Suddenly this spring, the same mower seems to barely cut.

But I usually don't get started mowing this early, when it's still cool
out. 60 to 65.

Does warm weather make grass plump and easier to mow?????

Dry weather makes grass much easier to mow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You should take some photos instead of trying to remember.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 May 2021 08:04:44 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

By the middle of May mine USUALLY has pretty much turned to tough dry
straw - it is lush and juicy in the spring. I mowed mine for the first
time this spring on Saturday. Usually I would have mowed it 3-5 times
already. I will be doing some re-seeding as soon as I get rid of the
speedwell and spurge that has joined the Plantain and Dandelion in
choking out my grass - - -

Those later
mowings are weeks apart, just to even it out and make it look great again
as it;s still slowly growing.

Maybe mine does too. I'll have to check.

I'm even tempted to not sharpen the blade until after it gets hot here,
to see if maybe you and Clare are wrong, at least about my grass, and it
does cut better when hot out, even with the same lawn mower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/11/21 3:19 PM, micky wrote:
My eletric lawn mower has for years occasionally left cresent-shaped
strips an inch wide, even though I was sure I'd covered the area.

My dinosaur-juice injected Kohler Command Pro has never done that. What kind of wimpy electric mower you got?

It's an AC-powered Black and Decker full-size. Has a place to attach a
bag for clippings.

I was a couple blocks away and one of my n'bors had the smallest mower
I'd ever seen
https://www.amazon.com/Sun-Joe-MJ401...778/ref=sr_1_8
Cordless. It doesn't look that small in the pictures here but it's the
cutest thing. It has a handle in the middle and barely weighs anything,
even with the battery.

14" blade!

She had a matching weed-wacker too. Very fashionable.

A friend has a weed whacker with an attachment that makes it into a
mower - I think it's between 10 and 12 inches - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Sometime after the mddle of May my grass gets "brittle" and you could
almost "cut" it with a baseball bat - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'm making up for your laxness, because usually I woudn't have mowed it
at all until June. I think one dry year I only mowed it 3 times. But
this year I started over a week ago. (I've been waiting for the
sharpening gizmo to come in the mail. But that won't answer the big
question, Why?)

I will be doing some re-seeding as soon as I get rid of the
speedwell and spurge that has joined the Plantain and Dandelion in
choking out my grass - - -

It's a shame weeds along aren't considered beautiful.

Those later
mowings are weeks apart, just to even it out and make it look great again
as it;s still slowly growing.

Maybe mine does too. I'll have to check.

I'm even tempted to not sharpen the blade until after it gets hot here,
to see if maybe you and Clare are wrong, at least about my grass, and it
does cut better when hot out, even with the same lawn mower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 12 May 2021 10:15:05 -0400,
wrote:

I will examine the grass today and try to remember what it was like to
compare with the June grass.

Commune with it. Be the grass.

No, that's dangerous. Someone might mow me.

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 12 May 2021 12:48:03 -0700, Bob F
wrote:

On 5/11/2021 12:19 PM, micky wrote:
My eletric lawn mower has for years occasionally left cresent-shaped
strips an inch wide, even though I was sure I'd covered the area.

Suddenly this spring, the same mower seems to barely cut.

But I usually don't get started mowing this early, when it's still cool
out. 60 to 65.

Does warm weather make grass plump and easier to mow?????

Dry weather makes grass much easier to mow.

I'm sure that is the difference. Problem solved.