Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Seat belts on school buses?

With all this talk about gov't. job is to keep us safe (mask mandate, auto
crash standards, vaping prohibitions, for instance), I've always wondered
why seat belts aren't required on school buses.

Could it be that there's nothing in it for elected officials? Too much
lobbying money against it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2021 12:29 AM, MikeJ wrote:
With all this talk about gov't. job is to keep us safe (mask mandate, auto
crash standards, vaping prohibitions, for instance), I've always wondered
why seat belts aren't required on school buses.

Could it be that there's nothing in it for elected officials? Too much
lobbying money against it?

Years ago we made a part for the bus seats. They are designed for
impact and the seat backs are higher than your car.

There is also the possibility of kids turning the belts into weapons.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/27/2021 10:29 PM, MikeJ wrote:
With all this talk about gov't. job is to keep us safe (mask mandate, auto
crash standards, vaping prohibitions, for instance), I've always wondered
why seat belts aren't required on school buses.

Could it be that there's nothing in it for elected officials? Too much
lobbying money against it?

The first problem is getting the kids to wear the seat belts. It's hard
enough to keep them from destroying the bus.

The real problem is what do you do in a bad wreck, say a rollover with
thirty or forty panicked kids hanging from their belts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

MikeJ wrote

With all this talk about gov't. job is to keep us safe
(mask mandate, auto crash standards, vaping
prohibitions, for instance), I've always wondered
why seat belts aren't required on school buses.

My state in Oz is mandating them this year.

Could it be that there's nothing in it for elected officials?
Too much lobbying money against it?

More likely that its one of those things that come later.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 03/27/2021 10:29 PM, MikeJ wrote:
With all this talk about gov't. job is to keep us safe (mask mandate,
auto
crash standards, vaping prohibitions, for instance), I've always wondered
why seat belts aren't required on school buses.

Could it be that there's nothing in it for elected officials? Too much
lobbying money against it?

The first problem is getting the kids to wear the seat belts. It's hard
enough to keep them from destroying the bus.

The real problem is what do you do in a bad wreck, say a rollover with
thirty or forty panicked kids hanging from their belts?

But planes have a lot more pax.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 04:29:53 -0000 (UTC), MikeJ
wrote:

With all this talk about gov't. job is to keep us safe (mask mandate, auto
crash standards, vaping prohibitions, for instance), I've always wondered
why seat belts aren't required on school buses.

Could it be that there's nothing in it for elected officials? Too much
lobbying money against it?

Would you want to be the person to tell a bunch of kids to fasten
their seat belt?
If you think they would, you must be old.
They have enough trouble keeping them from smoking dope and having sex
on the bus.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Mr. "There is no tide in the Suez Canal" LMAO

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 16:25:38 +1100, %%, better known as cantankerous

But planes have a lot more pax.

Not as much as you got **** in your head, sociopath!

--
pamela about Rodent Speed:
"His off the cuff expertise demonstrates how little he knows..."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2021 1:25 AM, %% wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 03/27/2021 10:29 PM, MikeJ wrote:
With all this talk about gov't. job is to keep us safe (mask mandate,
auto
crash standards, vaping prohibitions, for instance), I've always
wondered
why seat belts aren't required on school buses.

Could it be that there's nothing in it for elected officials?* Too much
lobbying money against it?

The first problem is getting the kids to wear the seat belts. It's
hard enough to keep them from destroying the bus.

The real problem is what do you do in a bad wreck, say a rollover with
thirty or forty panicked kids hanging from their belts?

But planes have a lot more pax.

Buses don't travel 500 mph and have air pockets that suddenly drop them
2000 feet. Nor do buses land at school at 130 mph in the driveway
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/21 9:06 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/28/2021 1:25 AM, %% wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message ...
On 03/27/2021 10:29 PM, MikeJ wrote:
With all this talk about gov't. job is to keep us safe (mask mandate, auto
crash standards, vaping prohibitions, for instance), I've always wondered
why seat belts aren't required on school buses.

Could it be that there's nothing in it for elected officials?* Too much
lobbying money against it?

The first problem is getting the kids to wear the seat belts. It's hard enough to keep them from destroying the bus.

The real problem is what do you do in a bad wreck, say a rollover with thirty or forty panicked kids hanging from their belts?

But planes have a lot more pax.

Buses don't travel 500 mph and have air pockets that suddenly drop them 2000 feet.* Nor do buses land at school at 130 mph in the driveway

My neighbor drives a bus, an A320 I think.

https://www.airbus.com/aircraft/pass...20-family.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/27/2021 11:25 PM, %% wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 03/27/2021 10:29 PM, MikeJ wrote:
With all this talk about gov't. job is to keep us safe (mask mandate,
auto
crash standards, vaping prohibitions, for instance), I've always
wondered
why seat belts aren't required on school buses.

Could it be that there's nothing in it for elected officials? Too much
lobbying money against it?

The first problem is getting the kids to wear the seat belts. It's
hard enough to keep them from destroying the bus.

The real problem is what do you do in a bad wreck, say a rollover with
thirty or forty panicked kids hanging from their belts?

But planes have a lot more pax.

Apples and oranges. Afaik city buses do not have seat belts.

https://thenewswheel.com/7-reasons-w...ve-seat-belts/

Some states, like New York, require school buses to have seat belts;
they do not require the students to use them. Given the safety record of
school buses it's a hard sell.

The second reason is probably why there isn't more pressure to adopt
them. I've driven a school bus. It's hard enough to keep the kids from
carving on the seats, shining laser pointers in your mirrors, throwing
things, and fighting with each other less alone making sure they are
buckled in.

The drivers and bus companies want no part of it. Installing belts cost
money, which ultimately goes back to the schools when they renew their
transportation contracts. Given that most school districts have never
had a child injured or killed in a school bus, it doesn't look like a
good investment.

I don't see any grand conspiracy or lobbying involved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 3/28/2021 1:25 AM, %% wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 03/27/2021 10:29 PM, MikeJ wrote:
With all this talk about gov't. job is to keep us safe (mask mandate,
auto
crash standards, vaping prohibitions, for instance), I've always
wondered
why seat belts aren't required on school buses.

Could it be that there's nothing in it for elected officials? Too much
lobbying money against it?

The first problem is getting the kids to wear the seat belts. It's hard
enough to keep them from destroying the bus.

The real problem is what do you do in a bad wreck, say a rollover with
thirty or forty panicked kids hanging from their belts?

But planes have a lot more pax.

Buses don't travel 500 mph and have air pockets that suddenly drop them
2000 feet. Nor do buses land at school at 130 mph in the driveway

Buses crash far more often.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2021 1:23 PM, %% wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

The first problem is getting the kids to wear the seat belts. It's
hard enough to keep them from destroying the bus.

The real problem is what do you do in a bad wreck, say a rollover
with thirty or forty panicked kids hanging from their belts?

But planes have a lot more pax.

Buses don't travel 500 mph and have air pockets that suddenly drop
them 2000 feet.* Nor do buses land at school at 130 mph in the driveway

Buses crash far more often.

Since you have that statistic please share the death rates too. It is
more meaningful that way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 04:23:00 +1100, %%, better known as cantankerous

But planes have a lot more pax.

Buses don't travel 500 mph and have air pockets that suddenly drop them
2000 feet. Nor do buses land at school at 130 mph in the driveway

Buses crash far more often.

This is about school buses, you "argumentative asshole".

--
Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 10:38:32 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

Apples and oranges. Afaik city buses do not have seat belts.

https://thenewswheel.com/7-reasons-w...ve-seat-belts/

Some states, like New York, require school buses to have seat belts;
they do not require the students to use them. Given the safety record of
school buses it's a hard sell.

The second reason is probably why there isn't more pressure to adopt
them. I've driven a school bus...

Oh, no!

FLUSH quickly
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 06:11:38 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 03/27/2021 10:29 PM, MikeJ wrote:
With all this talk about gov't. job is to keep us safe (mask mandate, auto
crash standards, vaping prohibitions, for instance), I've always wondered
why seat belts aren't required on school buses.

Could it be that there's nothing in it for elected officials? Too much
lobbying money against it?

The first problem is getting the kids to wear the seat belts. It's hard
enough to keep them from destroying the bus.

Indeed. When I were a lad, the bus company used the oldest clapped out coaches they had. Which was fun when they broke down and we got a couple of hours off school.

One time the driver asked my friend who was getting on, "could I get some water". To the driver and everyone else already on the bus, it was obvious this meant for the radiator, as the bus was overheating. My friend brought a glass of water for him to drink. The driver threw it across the steaming hot radiator and said "I'm gonna need a bucket".

The real problem is what do you do in a bad wreck, say a rollover with
thirty or forty panicked kids hanging from their belts?

I'm an adult and don't wear one for that very reason, how do you get it off you in a wreck where it's jamming you in?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2021 1:25 AM, %% wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message ...
On 03/27/2021 10:29 PM, MikeJ wrote:
With all this talk about gov't. job is to keep us safe (mask mandate, auto
crash standards, vaping prohibitions, for instance), I've always wondered
why seat belts aren't required on school buses.

Could it be that there's nothing in it for elected officials?Â* Too much
lobbying money against it?

The first problem is getting the kids to wear the seat belts. It's hard enough to keep them from destroying the bus.

The real problem is what do you do in a bad wreck, say a rollover with thirty or forty panicked kids hanging from their belts?

But planes have a lot more pax.

Buses don't travel 500 mph and have air pockets that suddenly drop them 2000 feet.Â* Nor do buses land at school at 130 mph in the driveway

My neighbor drives a bus, an A320 I think.

https://www.airbus.com/aircraft/pass...20-family.html

Ah the plane that floats better than it flies.,

https://tinyurl.com/fxjrynr8
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2021 1:25 AM, %% wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 03/27/2021 10:29 PM, MikeJ wrote:
With all this talk about gov't. job is to keep us safe (mask mandate,
auto
crash standards, vaping prohibitions, for instance), I've always
wondered
why seat belts aren't required on school buses.

Could it be that there's nothing in it for elected officials? Too much
lobbying money against it?

The first problem is getting the kids to wear the seat belts. It's hard
enough to keep them from destroying the bus.

The real problem is what do you do in a bad wreck, say a rollover with
thirty or forty panicked kids hanging from their belts?

But planes have a lot more pax.

Buses don't travel 500 mph and have air pockets that suddenly drop them
2000 feet. Nor do buses land at school at 130 mph in the driveway

Buses crash far more often.

Kids don't get killed that often. In fact they are more likely to get
run over by the bus or a (illegal) passing vehicle than to die in it.
OTOH school buses kill far more people unfortunate enough to get hit
by one. These things are tanks.

https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/motor-ve...rs/school-bus/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2021 1:23 PM, %% wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

The first problem is getting the kids to wear the seat belts. It's
hard enough to keep them from destroying the bus.

The real problem is what do you do in a bad wreck, say a rollover with
thirty or forty panicked kids hanging from their belts?

But planes have a lot more pax.

Buses don't travel 500 mph and have air pockets that suddenly drop them
2000 feet. Nor do buses land at school at 130 mph in the driveway

Buses crash far more often.

Since you have that statistic please share the death rates too. It is
more meaningful that way.

No it isnt with seat belts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2021 1:25 AM, %% wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message
[...]

Tad worse for the pax with yours
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...0mNqo&usqp=CAU

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2021 1:25 AM, %% wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message
[...]

Irrelevant to whether seat belts help, just like masks do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2021 1:23 PM, %% wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

The first problem is getting the kids to wear the seat belts. It's
hard enough to keep them from destroying the bus.

The real problem is what do you do in a bad wreck, say a rollover
with thirty or forty panicked kids hanging from their belts?

But planes have a lot more pax.

Buses don't travel 500 mph and have air pockets that suddenly drop
them 2000 feet.* Nor do buses land at school at 130 mph in the driveway

Buses crash far more often.

Since you have that statistic please share the death rates too.* It is
more meaningful that way.

No it isnt with seat belts.

So, you have nothing. Death rate of passengers in a crash would be
meaningful. Even belted in, not uncommon for a 100% death rate on an
airplane.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 06:35:57 +1100, %%, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH more of the trolling senile asshole's troll****

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Who or What is Rod Speed?"

"Rod Speed is an entirely modern phenomenon. Essentially, Rod Speed
man" on the InterNet."

Bod addressing senile Rodent:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
and totally irresponsible talk. Your mouth could get you into a lot of
trouble."
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
news

On 3/28/2021 1:23 PM, %% wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

The first problem is getting the kids to wear the seat belts. It's
hard enough to keep them from destroying the bus.

The real problem is what do you do in a bad wreck, say a rollover
with thirty or forty panicked kids hanging from their belts?

But planes have a lot more pax.

Buses don't travel 500 mph and have air pockets that suddenly drop
them 2000 feet. Nor do buses land at school at 130 mph in the
driveway

Buses crash far more often.

Since you have that statistic please share the death rates too. It is
more meaningful that way.

No it isnt with seat belts.

So, you have nothing.

Bull****. The crash rate with commercial jet
aircraft is vastly lower than with school buses.

Death rate of passengers in a crash would be meaningful.

Seat belts arent just about deaths.

Even belted in, not uncommon for a 100% death rate on an airplane.

But **** all crash every year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2021 4:36 PM, %% wrote:

Buses don't travel 500 mph and have air pockets that suddenly drop
them 2000 feet.* Nor do buses land at school at 130 mph in the
driveway

Buses crash far more often.

Since you have that statistic please share the death rates too.* It
is more meaningful that way.

No it isnt with seat belts.

So, you have nothing.

Bull****. The crash rate with commercial jet
aircraft is vastly lower than with school buses.

Death rate of passengers in a crash would be meaningful.

Seat belts arent just about deaths.

So tell us about the injuries that would have been prevented. You have
nothing.

Even belted in, not uncommon for a 100% death rate on an airplane.

But **** all crash every year.

I didn't bring up airplanes and it was stupid for someone to use it as
comparison.

Don't just make a comment about seatbelts unless you have something to
substantiate your claims.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 07:36:09 +1100, %%, better known as cantankerous

So, you have nothing.

Bull****. The crash rate with commercial jet
aircraft is vastly lower than with school buses.

Looks like someone else is now finding out what a SICK asshole, bull****
artist and psycho you are, senile Rodent! BG

--
Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

More of your mindless bull****.

Even belted in, not uncommon for a 100% death rate on an airplane.

But **** all crash every year.

I didn't bring up airplanes

You have always been, and always will be, completely
and utterly irrelevant. What you might or might not
have brought up in spades.

and it was stupid for someone to use it as comparison.

It wasn’t a comparison.

Don't just make a comment about seatbelts unless you have something to
substantiate your claims.

Go and **** yourself.

And the crash rate per year does substantiate the claim.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 08:36:54 +1100, %%, better known as cantankerous

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2021 5:36 PM, %% wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Go and **** yourself.

And the crash rate per year does substantiate the claim.

Ah, the standard answer when you don't have facts to back up your claim.
Be sure to show your mother how you handled this, it will make her
proud.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2021 5:36 PM, %% wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Go and **** yourself.

And the crash rate per year does substantiate the claim.

Ah, the standard answer when you don't have facts to back up your claim.

Pity the crashes per year are the relevant stats
you pathetic excuse for a bull**** artist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 18:34:19 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 3/28/2021 5:36 PM, %% wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Go and **** yourself.

And the crash rate per year does substantiate the claim.

Ah, the standard answer when you don't have facts to back up your claim.
Be sure to show your mother how you handled this, it will make her
proud.

Just some gee whiz info but 25 million kids ride the bus 180 days a
year, 2 ways and that is over 19 million trips a year. They lose a few
a year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Plonking this anonymous fool
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/28/2021 11:33 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/28/2021 1:23 PM, %% wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

The first problem is getting the kids to wear the seat belts. It's
hard enough to keep them from destroying the bus.

The real problem is what do you do in a bad wreck, say a rollover
with thirty or forty panicked kids hanging from their belts?

But planes have a lot more pax.

Buses don't travel 500 mph and have air pockets that suddenly drop
them 2000 feet. Nor do buses land at school at 130 mph in the driveway

Buses crash far more often.

Since you have that statistic please share the death rates too. It is
more meaningful that way.

I won't follow down the thread where %% loses it completely..

https://www.nhtsa.gov/road-safety/school-bus-safety

"The school bus is the safest vehicle on the road—your child is much
safer taking a bus to and from school than traveling by car. Although
four to six school-age children die each year on school transportation
vehicles, that’s less than one percent of all traffic fatalities
nationwide. NHTSA believes school buses should be as safe as possible.
That’s why our safety standards for school buses are above and beyond
those for regular buses."

"Students are about 70 times more likely to get to school safely when
taking a bus instead of traveling by car"

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm an adult and don't wear one for that very reason, how do you get it
off you in a wreck where it's jamming you in?

In my case you reach for the handy Kabar clipped to the belt and cut it.

https://www.tomarskabars.com/Coll-Boot-Knife_INFO.html

I have the feeling that solution would be three kinds of illegal in
Britain. It might also discourage carjackers, but I don't tend to drive
through the areas where that is a popular sport.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 29/3/21 11:59 am, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 07:36:09 +1100, "%%" wrote:

Plonking this anonymous fool

It's Rod Speed in one of his many aliases. Plonk away! ;-)

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 13:08:03 +1100, Xeno
wrote:

On 29/3/21 11:59 am, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 07:36:09 +1100, "%%" wrote:

Plonking this anonymous fool

It's Rod Speed in one of his many aliases. Plonk away! ;-)

Only problem is his munged ID is plonkproof -- - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm an adult and don't wear one for that very reason, how do you get it
off you in a wreck where it's jamming you in?

One way is when the rescue unit comes and help you get out while still
alive. I'll take that chance over the ones that get tossed out of the
car and get killed.

Like this one
https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/4-...rash-fhp-says/
A van carrying 11 people from out of state drifted off the road and
overturned. The roof of the van was ripped open during the crash and the
occupants were ejected.

There was one in CT couple of years ago the driver was ejected and
somehow got run over by his own pickup.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2021 1:23 PM, %% wrote:

[...]

I put some real numbers up earlier but the Readers Digest version is
25 million kids take 9 BILLION* trips a year and they lose a few a
year.

*I had a typo in my other note
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

I'm an adult and don't wear one for that very reason, how do you get it
off you in a wreck where it's jamming you in?

One way is when the rescue unit comes and help you get out while still
alive.

You don't need a rescue unit with a properly designed seat belt.

In theory you can get tangled if you manage to drive into a river
lake or the sea but even then, you'd have to be very unlucky,
modern cars float for quite a while before they fill with water.

I'll take that chance over the ones that get tossed out of the
car and get killed.

Me too, tho with modern airbags even that's unlikely now.