Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Seat belts on school buses?

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 22:25:36 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'm an adult and don't wear one for that very reason, how do you get it
off you in a wreck where it's jamming you in?

One way is when the rescue unit comes and help you get out while still
alive. I'll take that chance over the ones that get tossed out of the
car and get killed.

Like this one
https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/4-...rash-fhp-says/
A van carrying 11 people from out of state drifted off the road and
overturned. The roof of the van was ripped open during the crash and the
occupants were ejected.

There was one in CT couple of years ago the driver was ejected and
somehow got run over by his own pickup.

My uncle spent over half his life in a wheelchair after being hit by
a double cab Dodge truck in his VW beetle with no seat belts. He was
thrown out of the car and swears when he hit the road he had no more
than possibly a broken wrist - untill "that damned hitler wagon"
hunted him down and hit him, breaking his hip and his spine in 3
places.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 19:18:23 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

In my case you reach for the handy Kabar clipped to the belt and cut it.

I see YOU reaching for the unwashed Scottish ******'s belt, every time you
want to suck him off again, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 09:43:31 +1100, %%, better known as cantankerous

Ah, the standard answer when you don't have facts to back up your claim.

Pity the crashes per year are the relevant stats
you pathetic excuse for a bull**** artist.

IOW, you don't have ANY stats, and just keep smartassing in your known
delusional sick manner, senile pest!

--
pamela about Rodent Speed:
"His off the cuff expertise demonstrates how little he knows..."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 19:08:01 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I won't follow down the thread where %% loses it completely..

https://www.nhtsa.gov/road-safety/school-bus-safety

"The school bus is the safest vehicle on the road¡Xyour child is much
safer taking a bus to and from school than traveling by car. Although
four to six school-age children die each year on school transportation
vehicles, that¡¦s less than one percent of all traffic fatalities
nationwide. NHTSA believes school buses should be as safe as possible.
That¡¦s why our safety standards for school buses are above and beyond
those for regular buses."

"Students are about 70 times more likely to get to school safely when
taking a bus instead of traveling by car"

Seems the two opposite senile camps are at loggerheads about yet more off
topic bull****. Right, lowbrowwoman? LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 14:35:12 +1100, %%, better known as cantankerous

One way is when the rescue unit comes and help you get out while still
alive.

You don't need a rescue unit with a properly designed seat belt.

In auto-contradicting mode again, you miserable lonely housebound senile
trolling pest from Oz? G

--
"Who or What is Rod Speed?
man" on the InterNet."

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 29 Mar 2021 14:35:12 +1100, "%%"
wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

I'm an adult and don't wear one for that very reason, how do you get it
off you in a wreck where it's jamming you in?

One way is when the rescue unit comes and help you get out while still
alive.

You don't need a rescue unit with a properly designed seat belt.

In theory you can get tangled if you manage to drive into a river
lake or the sea but even then, you'd have to be very unlucky,

Yes, you're right. I think the problem is that traffic accidents cause
injuries. If you don't want injuries or death, don't have a traffic
accident. It may be hard to unlatch the seatbelt, but if you ram your
head against the inside of the windshield and your unconscious, it's
hard to get out of the car too. It's not just being thrown out of the
car but also hitting the windshield. Even people in the back seat used
to do that.

modern cars float for quite a while before they fill with water.

I'll take that chance over the ones that get tossed out of the
car and get killed.

Me too, tho with modern airbags even that's unlikely now.

Like this one
https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/4-...rash-fhp-says/
A van carrying 11 people from out of state drifted off the road and
overturned. The roof of the van was ripped open during the crash and the
occupants were ejected.

There was one in CT couple of years ago the driver was ejected and somehow
got run over by his own pickup.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 03:25:36 +0100, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'm an adult and don't wear one for that very reason, how do you get it
off you in a wreck where it's jamming you in?

One way is when the rescue unit comes and help you get out while still
alive. I'll take that chance over the ones that get tossed out of the
car and get killed.

Like this one
https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/4-...rash-fhp-says/
A van carrying 11 people from out of state drifted off the road and
overturned. The roof of the van was ripped open during the crash and the
occupants were ejected.

There was one in CT couple of years ago the driver was ejected and
somehow got run over by his own pickup.

And I've seen hundreds of videos of people being ejected away from the danger.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 02:18:23 +0100, rbowman wrote:

I'm an adult and don't wear one for that very reason, how do you get it
off you in a wreck where it's jamming you in?

In my case you reach for the handy Kabar clipped to the belt and cut it.

https://www.tomarskabars.com/Coll-Boot-Knife_INFO.html

I have the feeling that solution would be three kinds of illegal in
Britain. It might also discourage carjackers, but I don't tend to drive
through the areas where that is a popular sport.

My friend's a taxi driver, he legally is not required to wear one (in case a passenger behind him grabs the belt and strangles him). So he cut off a clicky thing from a car in the local junk yard and leaves it plugged in to stop the "ding!". My car only has a warning light, so I painted it over with gloss black paint.

I don't take precautions against unlikely things. Safety mechanisms are only needed if death is likely, like having a reserve parachute.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 20:59:24 -0400, Clare Snyder posted for all of us to
digest...

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 07:36:09 +1100, "%%" wrote:

Plonking this anonymous fool

I mastered this buffoon after a few posts, for amusement purposes only. I un-
plonked him and others to see if they were adding anything useful. This clown
doesn't, some have. He is being much more ludicrous than usual.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 15:35:48 -0400, posted for all of us to
digest...

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 04:23:00 +1100, "%%" wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 3/28/2021 1:25 AM, %% wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 03/27/2021 10:29 PM, MikeJ wrote:
With all this talk about gov't. job is to keep us safe (mask mandate,
auto
crash standards, vaping prohibitions, for instance), I've always
wondered
why seat belts aren't required on school buses.

Could it be that there's nothing in it for elected officials? Too much
lobbying money against it?

The first problem is getting the kids to wear the seat belts. It's hard
enough to keep them from destroying the bus.

The real problem is what do you do in a bad wreck, say a rollover with
thirty or forty panicked kids hanging from their belts?

But planes have a lot more pax.

Buses don't travel 500 mph and have air pockets that suddenly drop them
2000 feet. Nor do buses land at school at 130 mph in the driveway

Buses crash far more often.

Kids don't get killed that often. In fact they are more likely to get
run over by the bus or a (illegal) passing vehicle than to die in it.
OTOH school buses kill far more people unfortunate enough to get hit
by one. These things are tanks.

https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/motor-ve...rs/school-bus/

Yes they are. PSP inspects them before the school year starts from front to
back... Fail them for any kind of infraction as small as the seat stitching
unraveling. The seat cover MUST be replaced by OEM materials. All systems MUST
be first rate, steering, suspension, brakes, lights, doors, emergency exits,
etc. I think the side collision braces would stop a gravel truck (guessing no
proof)

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2021 1:25 AM, %% wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message
[...]

I had a friend who was a mechanic in the Montgomery County Md school
bus yard. These things use a heavy duty truck chassis and then add
more metal.
You do not want to get hit by one, even in an H1 Hummer.
These things weigh from 12-18 tons empty, depending on what size it
is. Some places have to use smaller busses just because of the bridges
they have to cross.
Yeah the vehicle to load weight ratio is ridiculous and they get 6-7
MPG (Diesel). Our district logs a couple million miles a year.
There are also lots of rules for the drivers. In Lee County they need
an extra validation their license to back up.
We got that from the director of transportation when we asked why all
the school busses were lapping our neighborhood and never dropped off
any kids. They were not allowed to turn around if it required backing
up. We are at the end of a dead end road so they just "went around the
block", a one mile trip according to the joggers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

news

On 3/28/2021 1:25 AM, %% wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message
[...]

So much for the land of the free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 Apr 2021 14:48:06 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

So much for the land of the free.

So much for another insipid troll from the obnoxious resident senile Ozzie
troll!

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 22:21:48 -0400, posted for all of us to
digest...

On 3/28/2021 1:25 AM, %% wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message
[...]

Yup, a CDL w/ school bus endorsement. You should hear them talk on the radio.
Any discrepancy is a call to arms. I was chastised for parking in front of the
HS one time. The world was ending... They boxed me in within inches. I wasn't
done with my work so they just had to deal with it. Funny though when they
needed their computers fixed I was welcomed with open arms. Later one of the
drivers pronged the overhang with one. They used to come into the garage
stating the door wasn't operating correctly. I was there when this complaint
was related to the mechanic. His reply: She must have hit a curb. We went out
and looked and nodded. She wouldn't admit to it but the lower body and door
hinge was bent about 30deg. The mechanic, after much effort, unscrewed the door
hinge and took the door off - used a sledgehammer for the body work and hinge
and remounted the door, called it a day. Didn't even have to give it a shot of
chrome yellow...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/01/2021 01:06 PM, Tekkie� wrote:
Yup, a CDL w/ school bus endorsement.

I had a CDL with tanker, hazmat, double/triples, and so forth and had
put on I don't know how many hundred thousand miles all over the
country, and I still had to take a road test in a school bus to get the
endorsement.

Like they say the only difference between hauling cattle and driving a
bus is you can use an electric prod on the cows.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 Apr 2021 14:48:06 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

news

On 3/28/2021 1:25 AM, %% wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message
[...]

It has more to do with the quality of the drivers they can get for
that ****ty job in spite of a pretty good compensation package.
Most school bus drivers don't last that long.
The guy who manages them was losing his mind too.
I got caught in the middle of a few neighbors really ****ed about
having buses driving by their house all day and the manager who was
listening to people complaining all day.
We got along OK because I never really complained and I tried to take
the reality back to some asshole neighbors. The manager and I actually
became pretty good friends and we talked a lot. I think he just liked
one person in his life who wasn't bitching at him all the time. I did
learn a lot about the bus system and the drivers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 Apr 2021 19:56:57 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I had a CDL with tanker, hazmat, double/triples

I know, blabbermouth! BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 Apr 2021 19:56:57 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

On 04/01/2021 01:06 PM, Tekkie? wrote:
Yup, a CDL w/ school bus endorsement.

I had a CDL with tanker, hazmat, double/triples, and so forth and had
put on I don't know how many hundred thousand miles all over the
country, and I still had to take a road test in a school bus to get the
endorsement.

Like they say the only difference between hauling cattle and driving a
bus is you can use an electric prod on the cows.

HAAAAAAAAAA! The cows are quieter and smell better?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 01 Apr 2021 23:44:18 -0400, posted for all of us to
digest...

It has more to do with the quality of the drivers they can get for
that ****ty job in spite of a pretty good compensation package.
Most school bus drivers don't last that long.
The guy who manages them was losing his mind too.
I got caught in the middle of a few neighbors really ****ed about
having buses driving by their house all day and the manager who was
listening to people complaining all day.
We got along OK because I never really complained and I tried to take
the reality back to some asshole neighbors. The manager and I actually
became pretty good friends and we talked a lot. I think he just liked
one person in his life who wasn't bitching at him all the time. I did
learn a lot about the bus system and the drivers.

That's true. I still see signs the districts/companies needing drivers.

The managers get all sorts of calls: the bus is late, early, not here, I don't
like that stop, etc. It is one of those jobs of serving disgruntled people and
disgruntled drivers and disgruntled administration. I always tried to stay on
their good side because I heard the cacophony of the office.

The early mechanic had to run around and start all the bus' in the cold weather
and work on the ones that didn't until the board finally approved block heaters
and associated wiring and infrastructure. Then the drivers would forget to hook
them up and complain it wasn't in the contract and then they had to check the
bus for trash and sleeping kids and complained that wasn't in the contract,
then they had to post a sign in the back to indicate they had checked it and
complained it wasn't in the contract... They had hazmat paks for kid puke...

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 2 Apr 2021 16:12:06 -0400, Tekkie© wrote:

[...]

School bus drivers are like fast food. Some stay and make a career of
it but they are rare. The overall turnover rate is very high.
Lots of people "drove a school bus" for a while.
I know 3. None lasted more than a school year.
One may not count, He was a senior (not a senior citizen, a high
school senior).
He didn't really have many discipline problems on the bus. A recon
Marine Vietnam combat vet does not take a lot of crap. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 12:29:58 AM UTC-4, MikeJ wrote:
With all this talk about gov't. job is to keep us safe (mask mandate, auto
crash standards, vaping prohibitions, for instance), I've always wondered
why seat belts aren't required on school buses.

Could it be that there's nothing in it for elected officials? Too much
lobbying money against it?

_________
From the Bureau of Schittz N Giggulz:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a_jkdFbdNFY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Apr 2021 21:02:09 -0500, Jim Joyce
wrote:

On Mon, 05 Apr 2021 19:48:39 -0400, wrote:

School bus drivers are like fast food. Some stay and make a career of
it but they are rare. The overall turnover rate is very high.

Back when I was in Junior High and High School, all of the bus drivers had
been driving for multiple years or even decades. I imagine the smaller
rural areas have a lot less turnover than the urban areas, for multiple
reasons.

Lots of people "drove a school bus" for a while.
I know 3. None lasted more than a school year.
One may not count, He was a senior (not a senior citizen, a high
school senior).
He didn't really have many discipline problems on the bus. A recon
Marine Vietnam combat vet does not take a lot of crap. ;-)

I'm not sure exactly how that works, but kudos to the High School senior
who is not only a bus driver but is also a Marine combat vet. He must have
been a toddler during his time over there, but even then the math doesn't
really work out.

There were quite a few highschool dropouts ended up in 'Nam who
decided to get their GED or actually finish high school on return to
civilian life so they didn't have to be a "grunt" for the rest of
their lives.
Didn't even have to be vets - I knew a few who returned to high
school in their 20s - and one of them WAS a school bus driver.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I don't know anyone who did that so it seemed unlikely to me but I
appreciate the info.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

This guy's family had dreams of him going to college but most
colleges don't think much of GEDs. His mom pushed him back into
school. It turned out the phone company made him an offer he couldn't
refuse and he went to work for them. He was making the same kind of
money IBM was paying me with better benefits (union)