Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Floor lamp light fitting part wanted

My wife just brought home a torchere lamp. She says something about the bowl coming off in the taxi on the way home. i am trying to figure out what, if anything broke?

The glass bowl secures to the top of the column part by means of a plastic part (with a female thread) which fits through the light fitting hole at the bottom of the bowl and secures to a male thread on a collar around the bulb socket. The light fitting moves a bit but the collar is fixed so I cant move it in any way upwards. And I cant get the plastic bit to screw onto the fixed collar around the bulb socket.

The reason seems to be that there is a 4 inch diameter outer collar which the bowl sits on which sits 1/2 inch ABOVE the level of the threaded part of the collar which the plastic part screws onto. So when I put the bowl on, there is no way I can screw the plastic part onto the bulb fitting's collar!

Does anyone think there was a collar extender (which came off in the taxi?) between the collar and the plastic part which screws through the bowl please? How would I describe that collar extender and has anyone ever seen such a thing in a shop please?

It is not an el-cheapo lamp (though it IS made in China) and I cant find anything faintly similar in any torchere lamp image search online.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/27/21 6:27 PM, Amanda Ripanykhazova wrote:
[...]

For starts the word is spelled Torchiere

Have you seen these websites:

https://www.antiquelampsupply.com/to...amp-part-index

https://foter.com/torchiere-lamp-parts

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Torchiere...f=nb_sb_noss_2

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 5:27:14 PM UTC-6, Amanda Ripanykhazova wrote:
[...]

It isn't by some silly chance left handed threading?
Posted to alt.home.repair

For starts the word is spelled Torchiere

Have you seen these websites:

https://www.antiquelampsupply.com/to...amp-part-index

https://foter.com/torchiere-lamp-parts

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Torchiere...f=nb_sb_noss_2

Thanks for that and no, it isnt left handed. The base is one of the ones shown on those pages (Phenolic or B&P) but it doesnt seem to help me much. It does show that there is no part extending the socket by the half inch necessary AND the part which holds the bowl doesnt go in some way upside down!
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 27 Feb 2021 18:26:26 -0800 (PST), Amanda
Ripanykhazova wrote:

For starts the word is spelled Torchiere

Have you seen these websites:

https://www.antiquelampsupply.com/to...amp-part-index

https://foter.com/torchiere-lamp-parts

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Torchiere...f=nb_sb_noss_2

Thanks for that and no, it isnt left handed. The base is one of the ones shown on those pages (Phenolic or B&P) but it doesnt seem to help me much. It does show that there is no part extending the socket by the half inch necessary AND the part which holds the bowl doesnt go in some way upside down!

I really couldn't follow your description.

Could you post a picture on some image sharing site and post the url
here?

And maybe a drawing by you of the missing part.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ripanykhazova wrote:

For starts the word is spelled Torchiere

Have you seen these websites:

https://www.antiquelampsupply.com/to...amp-part-index

https://foter.com/torchiere-lamp-parts

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Torchiere...f=nb_sb_noss_2

Thanks for that and no, it isnt left handed. The base is one of the ones shown on those pages (Phenolic or B&P) but it doesnt seem to help me much. It does show that there is no part extending the socket by the half inch necessary AND the part which holds the bowl doesnt go in some way upside down!

I really couldn't follow your description.

Could you post a picture on some image sharing site and post the url
here?

And maybe a drawing by you of the missing part.

Is the shade itself threaded?
Posted to alt.home.repair

No, the shade isnt threaded. And the 'collar' is surely going to be just a cylinder or tube open at both ends with a female thread at one end and a male at the other. I suppose it is possible that if the plastic part was positioned where I think it was positioned, it would have been constantly heated up and may have become brittle? But when the shade hit the roof of the cab and came off, my wife says she emphatically did look to see if a part had come off. She didnt see any part, - much less two parts!

The part which doesn't fit seems to be called an UNO RING. There is one on the Amazon link but the ones showing on the electrical fitments seem to have a longer 'cylinder' under it. I just cant figure out why on earth the original one SUDDENLY after that taxi ride isn't long enough??

Could you post a picture on some image sharing site and post the url
here?

And maybe a drawing by you of the missing part.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 9:02:42 AM UTC-6, Amanda Ripanykhazova wrote:
[...]

Would something like this do the job?
https://www.dhgate.com/product/g1-2-quot-npt-male-thread-transfer-to-female/202744383.html
One can probably get plastic or steel but this might look better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

No, thank you for the suggestion but it would have to be the same size as the hole at the base of the Uno ring, the nut would get in the way of the shade and it is an extender, not a male/female converter. And it needs to be only about a half inch long!

Would something like this do the job?
https://www.dhgate.com/product/g1-2-quot-npt-male-thread-transfer-to-female/202744383.html
One can probably get plastic or steel but this might look better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Actually the more I look at this page https://www.amazon.com/s?k=torchiere...designpower-20, the more the round extender below the UNO ring on the B&P fitment looks longer than the Phenolic one in the lower row. That might do it, - though nothing would explain how the original one is SUDDENLY too short after the taxi ride!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 28 Feb 2021 09:38:48 -0800 (PST), Amanda
Ripanykhazova wrote:

Actually the more I look at this page https://www.amazon.com/s?k=torchiere...designpower-20, the more the round extender below the UNO ring on the B&P fitment looks longer than the Phenolic one in the lower row. That might do it, - though nothing would explain how the original one is SUDDENLY too short after the taxi ride!

Which taxi company was it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I suspect it was either Checker Camel Co or Yellow Camel Co.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I figured it out: The uno ring has no downward pointing collar. It is 'flat'. the unit (which looks like a collar) is in two parts, the ring and the collar. The collar goes under the shade, the ring tightens onto it. This was, in retrospect blindingly obvious except for the supposed breakage in the taxi, which threw me off completely. the ring seems to have moved THROUGH the shade, - Carbonaro-like!! No, i cannot see how on earth this could have happened, unless the person who gave it to my wife took it off for transportation and screwed the parts together wrongly, which she said she didnt??