Old October 31st 05, 04:16 PM

Default Fitting a dimmer switch to a floor lamp - No Earth

Hi,

we have a floor lamp that makes the room far too bright when on, and
leaves the room too dark when off. So, we asked our unreliable
handyman to fit a dimmer switch, which he did, a normal click on/off
dimmer in a plastic housing, by cutting the main cord, and putting it
inbetween the plug and lamp.

He left the job muttering something about "it buzzes because there is
no earth". The thing did buzz, and the lamp flickered as well, and
eventually after a week or so, there was a reasonbly loud bang, and the
lamp stopped working.

How do I do this properly without the above problems?

Many thanks
Colin

Old October 31st 05, 04:27 PM

I've fitted in cheap Ikea in-line dimmers to table lamps with no earth
connections, and no problems. Can't see the problem..

Old October 31st 05, 08:22 PM
[email protected]

wrote:
Hi,

we have a floor lamp that makes the room far too bright when on, and
leaves the room too dark when off. So, we asked our unreliable
handyman to fit a dimmer switch, which he did, a normal click on/off
dimmer in a plastic housing, by cutting the main cord, and putting it
inbetween the plug and lamp.

He left the job muttering something about "it buzzes because there is
no earth". The thing did buzz, and the lamp flickered as well, and
eventually after a week or so, there was a reasonbly loud bang, and the
lamp stopped working.

How do I do this properly without the above problems?

Many thanks
Colin

He's talking bs.

fitting a lower power bulb might make more sense. Dimming kills energy
efficiency, and filament bulbs are already bad.

NT

Old October 31st 05, 09:09 PM
chris French

In message .com,
writes
Hi,

we have a floor lamp that makes the room far too bright when on, and
leaves the room too dark when off.

alower wattage bulb?

--
Chris French

Old November 1st 05, 12:40 PM
[email protected]

Does this lamp have a low voltage halogen bulb in it?

The buzzing noise, flickering and final bang symptoms suggest that the
lamp has (or had) a built in transformer or power supply unit that is
unsuitable for dimming.

How do I do this properly without the above problems?

If you have such a fitting then you would need to replace the power
supply unit with one that can be dimmed.

Yes it is a halogen floor stander, with 10 flexible arms each with a
halogen bulb at the end of it.

So from what you are saying I will actually have to change the internal
workings/power supply of the lamp, in order to get it to work and its
nothing to do with earth or a crap dimmer switch?

Old November 1st 05, 12:55 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
Yes it is a halogen floor stander, with 10 flexible arms each with a
halogen bulb at the end of it.

So from what you are saying I will actually have to change the internal
workings/power supply of the lamp, in order to get it to work and its
nothing to do with earth or a crap dimmer switch?

You need a dimmer stated to be suitable for 'low voltage lighting' use.

--
*Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old November 1st 05, 01:01 PM
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Does this lamp have a low voltage halogen bulb in it?

The buzzing noise, flickering and final bang symptoms suggest that the
lamp has (or had) a built in transformer or power supply unit that is
unsuitable for dimming.

How do I do this properly without the above problems?

If you have such a fitting then you would need to replace the power
supply unit with one that can be dimmed.

Yes it is a halogen floor stander, with 10 flexible arms each with a
halogen bulb at the end of it.

So from what you are saying I will actually have to change the internal
workings/power supply of the lamp, in order to get it to work and its
nothing to do with earth or a crap dimmer switch?

Is it a low voltage array?