Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - minimum wage

Google tells us this:

"The percentage of hourly paid workers earning the prevailing federal
minimum wage or less declined from 2.7 percent in 2016 to 2.3 percent in
2017. This remains well below the percentage of 13.4 recorded in 1979,
when data were first collected on a regular basis."

So, what's all the noise about?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 9:24:17 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
Google tells us this:

"The percentage of hourly paid workers earning the prevailing federal
minimum wage or less declined from 2.7 percent in 2016 to 2.3 percent in
2017. This remains well below the percentage of 13.4 recorded in 1979,
when data were first collected on a regular basis."

So, what's all the noise about?

How many people are making a nickel over minimum wage? Or
a dollar over minimum wage?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/27/2021 9:24 AM, Frank wrote:
Google tells us this:

"The percentage of hourly paid workers earning the prevailing federal
minimum wage or less declined from 2.7 percent in 2016 to 2.3 percent in
2017. This remains well below the percentage of 13.4 recorded in 1979,
when data were first collected on a regular basis."

So, what's all the noise about?

The noise is mostly for the states still using the federal minimum of
$7.25 from 2009 and no adjustment. The reason it changed is that many
states saw the problem and did something about it, some better than
others.

How many workers do you know that would be happy in their job getting
the same was they got in 2009?
Posted to alt.home.repair

" writes:
On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 9:24:17 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
Google tells us this:

"The percentage of hourly paid workers earning the prevailing federal
minimum wage or less declined from 2.7 percent in 2016 to 2.3 percent in
2017. This remains well below the percentage of 13.4 recorded in 1979,
when data were first collected on a regular basis."

So, what's all the noise about?

How many people are making a nickel over minimum wage? Or
a dollar over minimum wage?

Or are making minimum wage but only part-time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 11:18:51 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/27/2021 9:24 AM, Frank wrote:
Google tells us this:

"The percentage of hourly paid workers earning the prevailing federal
minimum wage or less declined from 2.7 percent in 2016 to 2.3 percent in
2017. This remains well below the percentage of 13.4 recorded in 1979,
when data were first collected on a regular basis."

So, what's all the noise about?

The noise is mostly for the states still using the federal minimum of
$7.25 from 2009 and no adjustment. The reason it changed is that many
states saw the problem and did something about it, some better than
others.

How many workers do you know that would be happy in their job getting
the same was they got in 2009?

My pension hasn't gone up since 2009. ****'m.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 14:29:35 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 14:11:03 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/27/2021 1:52 PM, wrote:
[...]

Hmmmnm, mine has. So has SS, trivial as it was.

SS barely covered the hike in Part B and your pension must be
government or union.

Not necessarily, they can be invested in what does better than inflation.

That still does not address your pension.

Corse it does if your pension fund does that and plenty do.

Probably not SS either if we get Carter era inflation.

Unlikely any time soon.

Most investments were not even keeping up.

BULL****.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 15:42:14 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile sicko's latest troll**** unread

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 23:16:32 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

How many workers do you know that would be happy in their job getting
the same was they got in 2009?

My pension hasn't gone up since 2009. ****'m.

Hmmmnm, mine has. So has SS, trivial as it was.

SS barely covered the hike in Part B and your pension must be
government or union.

From what little I know about pensions, many from companies do not go up
after you start them. Mine does not go up from the starting ammount.

Maybe some of the government ones do ?

The SS has not kept up at all with the cost of living. Each year they
change the rules as to what they use to compute the cost of living.
Just glad I put a fair ammount in the 401k type retirement. Many
companies do not even have pensons. This past year my IRA made as much
as I would have made before taxes in over 2 working years. Had my SS
money gone in to the same IRA plan I would get about twice as much as
the SS pays.

Pensions from companies are generally going to be a fixed annuity.
They make a one time pay out to a financial institution. Back in the
olden days a company doing well might throw more money in the pot and
raise the value of the annuity but that is not likely these days. If
anything they will raid the pension fund and reduce it to the minimum
required by ERISA.
Public service unions will add COLAs to their contracts and that is
one reason why so many big cities are going broke. They have
underfunded or unfunded pension plans.
Regular unions used to see regular COLA adjustments but my FIL says
UAW is lagging behind in that. My pension check is about the same as
his, we were making the same kind of money and he worked there 10
years longer than me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 10:22:14 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Pensions from companies are generally going to be a fixed annuity.
They make a one time pay out to a financial institution. Back in the
olden days a company doing well might throw more money in the pot and
raise the value of the annuity but that is not likely these days. If
anything they will raid the pension fund and reduce it to the minimum
required by ERISA.

The company I worked for has changed owners several times. The first
one had a pension fund of about 2 times the required or needed money.
They raided that money to make the company more attractive to buyers, or
else the buyers took that extra money. Hard to remember what they did
about 30 years ago other than I remember a TV special on a show like 60
minutes showing how they raided that money.

One thing I seem to remember is the pension funds are somehow connected
to a sort of insurance thing where if the pension fund or company
funding it goes under, then you still get a guaranteed pension, but it
may be less than what you were getting.

PBGC will match your core benefit but that will not include anything
but the pension itself. No other benefits COLAs or other things you
might get are covered.
I also understand if you retired early and got a full pension, they
might recalculate your benefit using the original formula and that
will might much less.
In my case the pension is actually a paid up annuity so the failure
would have to be Fidelity. We already know the meager amount they
throw at my health care is at risk with nothing more than a vote from
the board. It is less than $4k a year so I would survive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 23:16:32 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

How many workers do you know that would be happy in their job getting
the same was they got in 2009?

My pension hasn't gone up since 2009. ****'m.

Hmmmnm, mine has. So has SS, trivial as it was.

SS barely covered the hike in Part B and your pension must be
government or union.

From what little I know about pensions, many from companies do not go up
after you start them. Mine does not go up from the starting ammount.

"defined benetit" pensions fo not change. Indexed pensions change.
Defined benefit pensions are also known as final salary pensions -
you get a percentage of your last year's salary depending on how many
years you have "invested"

Maybe some of the government ones do ?

Don't know about states bat all Candian government pensions - federal
or provincial, are "indexed".
Never had a "work" pension but did manage to squirrel away a "small"
nestegg. It is possible for a couple to live on government pension if
both worked and contributed for a reasonable length of time at a
reasonable income rate and you own your home free and clear.. We don't
live high, but we manage