Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Welding Aluminum vs Braising Aluminum.

I want to join some pieces of square aluminum to build a frame.

Is brazing on Aluminum as strong as welding Aluminum ?
If Not, whats the downside ?
Is it half as strong ? or just don't do it ?

Or:
Should I just stick with square steel tubing and just buy a wire welder ?
Can a simple wire welding weld 1/8" aluminum ?

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 1:23:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I want to join some pieces of square aluminum to build a frame.

Is brazing on Aluminum as strong as welding Aluminum ?
If Not, whats the downside ?
Is it half as strong ? or just don't do it ?

Or:
Should I just stick with square steel tubing and just buy a wire welder ?
Can a simple wire welding weld 1/8" aluminum ?

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

How much strength do you need? Do you know? Mohr's Circle, for example?

If you know, then you may be able to do join square tubing much more easily by drilling and using bolts.

There is a huge advantage to using bolts instead of welding. When you are finished and you realize it will be in the basement next to your boat forever, because neither fits through the door, you just unbolt it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/24/2021 12:23 PM, Sid 03 wrote:
I want to join some pieces of square aluminum to build a frame.

Is brazing on Aluminum as strong as welding Aluminum ?
If Not, whats the downside ?
Is it half as strong ? or just don't do it ?

Or:
Should I just stick with square steel tubing and just buy a wire welder ?
Can a simple wire welding weld 1/8" aluminum ?

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

The problem with aluminum is the oxide coating that forms pretty much
instantaneously when you sand/grind/file it . Welding it takes special
equipment that isn't cheap . I have no experience with brazing it . HF
and eBay sell flux core wire welders for a couple hundred bucks that
will do what you want with steel , wire welding aluminum also takes
special equipment .
--
Snag
In 1775, the British demanded we give them our guns.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 10:23:48 -0800 (PST), Sid 03
wrote:

I want to join some pieces of square aluminum to build a frame.

Is brazing on Aluminum as strong as welding Aluminum ?
If Not, whats the downside ?
Is it half as strong ? or just don't do it ?

Or:
Should I just stick with square steel tubing and just buy a wire welder ?
Can a simple wire welding weld 1/8" aluminum ?

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

If you are talking about that low temperature solder stuff, I hear it
is not that strong. You really need a TIG machine to make an aluminum
weld look good although shielding gas MIG works. I think that unless
this is a whole lot of welding, I would hire a guy. By the time you
buy a machine and get good with it you could find a truck welder and
be done with it.

OTOH they just screw screen cages together and get 170 MPH ratings on
them. What kind of "frame" are you building?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I want to join some pieces of square aluminum to build a frame.

Is brazing on Aluminum as strong as welding Aluminum ?
If Not, whats the downside ?
Is it half as strong ? or just don't do it ?

Or:
Should I just stick with square steel tubing and just buy a wire welder ?
Can a simple wire welding weld 1/8" aluminum ?

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

I built a bicycle rack for my trailer and a canoe rack for my
brother's van using the alloy "brazing" rods and the joints stood up
very well. With utility grade aluminum the joint was stronger than the
square tubing. With 6061T6 I think it was pretty much a toss-up. A
good TIG job would have definitely been neater - and possibly
marginally stronger but I don't think a wire-feed joint - unless done
by an expert (if even then)- would have been any better for the
application's requirements.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I want to join some pieces of square aluminum to build a frame.

Is brazing on Aluminum as strong as welding Aluminum ?
If Not, whats the downside ?
Is it half as strong ? or just don't do it ?

Or:
Should I just stick with square steel tubing and just buy a wire welder ?
Can a simple wire welding weld 1/8" aluminum ?

How much strength do you need? Do you know? Mohr's Circle, for example?

If you know, then you may be able to do join square
tubing much more easily by drilling and using bolts.

More easily, but a much worse result imo.

There is a huge advantage to using bolts instead of welding.

But a huge disadvantage too.

When you are finished and you realize it will
be in the basement next to your boat forever,

Dont have a basement or a boat.

because neither fits through the door, you just unbolt it.

I never have that problem because all rooms except
the bathrooms and toilets have at least one patio door
with a 4' opening pane. And welded is much more solid.

Dexion square tubing is still available. It uses
nock in corners leaves bolting for dead.
https://www.dexionstore.co.uk/dexion...ck-p-9223.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 09:32 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER SEVEN HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 09:32:31 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

09:32 already? So you've been up and trolling ALL NIGHT LONG, yet AGAIN!

Just HOW sick and perverted are you, you subnormal senile psychopathic
swine?

being widely accepted."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 5:01:43 PM UTC-6, Peeler wrote:
On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 09:32:31 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

09:32 already? So you've been up and trolling ALL NIGHT LONG, yet AGAIN!

Just HOW sick and perverted are you, you subnormal senile psychopathic
swine?

being widely accepted."
MID:

Here is an example I found on Aluminum Brazing:
https://youtu.be/yqHZ1JbmWSw

Let me know how strong and/or practical this is ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 6:31:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 5:01:43 PM UTC-6, Peeler wrote:
On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 09:32:31 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

09:32 already? So you've been up and trolling ALL NIGHT LONG, yet AGAIN!

Just HOW sick and perverted are you, you subnormal senile psychopathic
swine?

being widely accepted."
MID:

Here is an example I found on Aluminum Brazing:
https://youtu.be/yqHZ1JbmWSw

Let me know how strong and/or practical this is ?

Brazing Aluminum Tubing to Aluminum Parts
-- https://www.pinterest.com/pin/472103973441743551/