Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Welding Aluminum vs Braising Aluminum.

On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 10:23:48 -0800 (PST), Sid 03
wrote:

I want to join some pieces of square aluminum to build a frame.

Is brazing on Aluminum as strong as welding Aluminum ?
If Not, whats the downside ?
Is it half as strong ? or just don't do it ?

Or:
Should I just stick with square steel tubing and just buy a wire welder ?
Can a simple wire welding weld 1/8" aluminum ?

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

If you are talking about that low temperature solder stuff, I hear it
is not that strong. You really need a TIG machine to make an aluminum
weld look good although shielding gas MIG works. I think that unless
this is a whole lot of welding, I would hire a guy. By the time you
buy a machine and get good with it you could find a truck welder and
be done with it.

OTOH they just screw screen cages together and get 170 MPH ratings on
them. What kind of "frame" are you building?