Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Welding Aluminum vs Braising Aluminum.

On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 10:23:48 -0800 (PST), Sid 03
wrote:

I want to join some pieces of square aluminum to build a frame.

Is brazing on Aluminum as strong as welding Aluminum ?
If Not, whats the downside ?
Is it half as strong ? or just don't do it ?

Or:
Should I just stick with square steel tubing and just buy a wire welder ?
Can a simple wire welding weld 1/8" aluminum ?

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

I built a bicycle rack for my trailer and a canoe rack for my
brother's van using the alloy "brazing" rods and the joints stood up
very well. With utility grade aluminum the joint was stronger than the
square tubing. With 6061T6 I think it was pretty much a toss-up. A
good TIG job would have definitely been neater - and possibly
marginally stronger but I don't think a wire-feed joint - unless done
by an expert (if even then)- would have been any better for the
application's requirements.