Old February 18th 21, 06:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 08:04:21 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I spent a winter building shortwave radios out of junk

Wow! You certainly are the coolest gossip I ever heard gossiping, lowbrowgirl! BG

Old February 18th 21, 06:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Feb 2021 03:51:51 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Its different tho

Of course, you auto-contradicting senile pest! BG

cretin's pathological trolling:
Old February 18th 21, 07:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT What a jenny

On Thursday, February 18, 2021 at 9:54:21 AM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

I can also easily point out a lot of those degrees don't actually
teach anyone how to do anything useful. That is why there are so many
graduates still sleeping in Mom's basement.
If they want to subsidize STEM degrees it might make some sense but
art history? Really? I don't see that job advertised very often maybe
never. That kind of job is usually taken by a person who went to
school when they were 5 or 6 and never left. They just work there now
making more people who can't find a job.

Yes, there are lots of degrees that there are very few job openings for.
My son took some kind of business course about 20 years ago. Took him a
bout 15 years to find a job that paid very much in the field. Before
that he worked at jobs that was along the line of his education,but
they did not pay very much over most manual labor jobs in the area.
He did hve about a 3.5 GPA so that should have landed him some good job
offerings after graduation, but it did not. Found out that most of the
job offerings in the field required several years of experiance.

It amazes me how the colleges can get big fees for courses that the end
result is jobs that do not pay much.

Before jobs became so specialized, it was possible to major in, say, English
Literature and get a good job at a corporation. Those same jobs now require
a degree from an accredited business school.

Universities have not quite caught up to the idea that their output should
match the demand.

Cindy Hamilton

Old February 18th 21, 08:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 09:56:45 -0500, Ralph Mowery

says...

I doubt that anybody getting a degree in 4th Century Greek sculpture
could hack it at trade or technical school. Those disciplines require
aptitude.

Now, don't get me started on how useless most young people are because
they've spent their whole lives twiddling cell phone buttons or going to
"maker academy" where nothing has to be kludged together.

Yes, today the young people do not seem to be able to do simple repair
things around the house.

That is only because they never had a chance to be taught.

I didn't need to be taught, I learned it for myself and that's
what most who are any good at doing simple repairs around
the house get to do simple repairs around the house.

I built my own quite sophisticated passive solar house
on a bare block of land that way and worked out all
the non obvious detail by wandering around the
houses being built in the area after hours.

And a young bloke who I have known since he was a
preschool kid is still doing that right now when he is
getting his house built by a builder, telling the builder
how he wants stuff done with the concrete outside the
house etc etc etc.

"Shop" disappeared from middle and high school in the
70s (probably because educators didn't know which end
of a hammer you hold) and we are seeing the fallout now.

You don't need to be taught that stuff. And even
in the 70s most couldn't work out why their lawn
mower stopped working and I did all the basic
stuff like fixing the neighbours kids bikes etc.

Latinos are kicking our ass in the trades.

Not because they still get taught shop in their schools.

If you don't speak a little Spanish you can't be a job
super or a contractor these days. I was helped being
an inspector because I took a Spanish class and I
made the extra effort to expand that "do you have
a telephone" stuff into the terms used in construction.

Old February 18th 21, 09:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Feb 2021 06:55:51 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"ThatĘs because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Old February 19th 21, 04:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 17:39:42 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

writes:
On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 09:56:45 -0500, Ralph Mowery

says...

I doubt that anybody getting a degree in 4th Century Greek sculpture
could hack it at trade or technical school. Those disciplines require
aptitude.

Now, don't get me started on how useless most young people are because
they've spent their whole lives twiddling cell phone buttons or going to
"maker academy" where nothing has to be kludged together.

Yes, today the young people do not seem to be able to do simple repair
things around the house.

That is only because they never had a chance to be taught. "Shop"
disappeared from middle and high school in the 70s (probably because

Really? Must be a Florida thing. There's still shop class
in high school here in California (called industrial arts).

Forbes disagrees with you.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tarabro...h=11b97aa9541f

"Shop classes are being eliminated from California schools due to the
University of California/California State 'a-g' requirements. 'The
intent of the 'a-g' subject requirements is to ensure that students
can participate fully in the first-year program at the University in a
wide variety of fields of study.'"

educators didn't know which end of a hammer you hold) and we are

It's pretty telling that you can't make a simple statement
without resorting to insult.

See above

Old February 19th 21, 04:07 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 10:18:08 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

These days if you don't have a significant amount of computer science
in your quiver, you better be able to float drywall, wire or paste
pipe.
An English major is competing with a million other English majors for
a thousand jobs in journalism.
As often as not that is going to be TV so you better be cute and look
good on camera. Newspapers are circling the bowl.