Old February 18th 21, 12:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT What a jenny

On 2/17/21 6:33 PM, trader_4 wrote:
He just killed 10K+ high paying jobs on the XL pipeline so more
stupid things to appease people like you doesn't seem unexpected.

Liquid energy still needs to be moved so someone will benefit. Who owns the trains?

Old February 18th 21, 01:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 5:33:56 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/17/2021 5:04 PM, micky wrote:
CNN had two people on to talk about the proposed rebate on college
loans. Because I only listen, I don't know who they were. Sometimes
one is from each party but this time, they might both have been
Democrats.

Anyone, one of them was wanting a $50,000 rebate instead of 10 like Joe
wants (and he said no to 50). And she said roughly, a real leader
would do something about college tuition.

What a jackass. Doesn't she pay attention? In the campaign and again
last night Joe said that junior college** should be free and state
schools should be free to those with parents earning under 75K or 100K,
something like that. What more does she want and Biden has been saying
it for months. I'm going to try to find out who she was. It's too soon
for there to be anything on the web.

**My father graduated high school in 1910. High school was free then.
Now a high school diploma won't get you much, the country is much richer
and still free education hasn't gone any farther than high school. In
fact in 1957 Indiana University and most state schools charge in-state
residents no tuition (although there were fees which were not nothing)
and we've gone backwards on that.

As an aside, after HS my father went on to dental school for 4 years,
commuting 50 miles each way every day by train, doing homework on the
train, and working in his father's hardware store when he got home.

Paying off all loans will **** off everyone that paid their way through
already. Everyone talks about forgiving the debt, no one asks why it
cost so mush to go to school in the first place.

Not everyone benefits from college, some would to better in a trade or
technical school rather than a degree is 4th century Greek sculpture

I doubt that anybody getting a degree in 4th Century Greek sculpture
could hack it at trade or technical school. Those disciplines require
aptitude.

Now, don't get me started on how useless most young people are because
they've spent their whole lives twiddling cell phone buttons or going to
"maker academy" where nothing has to be kludged together.

"Here, go into those woods and build a reasonably weatherproof structure
from the stuff that people have dumped there."

Cindy Hamilton
Old February 18th 21, 01:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 8:15:56 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 17 Feb 2021 15:33:19 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 5:04:20 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
CNN had two people on to talk about the proposed rebate on college
loans. Because I only listen, I don't know who they were. Sometimes
one is from each party but this time, they might both have been
Democrats.

Anyone, one of them was wanting a $50,000 rebate instead of 10 like Joe
wants (and he said no to 50). And she said roughly, a real leader
would do something about college tuition.

What a jackass. Doesn't she pay attention? In the campaign and again
last night Joe said that junior college** should be free and state
schools should be free to those with parents earning under 75K or 100K,
something like that. What more does she want

50K-10K obviously. Feel free to speak out against AOC, Bernie, etc

I've never said anything good about them. Have I? I don't know if
I've ever posted about either of them but they're both jackassses.
at any time.

and Biden has been saying
it for months. I'm going to try to find out who she was. It's too soon
for there to be anything on the web.

So what? He's the president, but many others in your party, who

Stop your partisan crap. it's so boring. Poor you, a man without a
party.

ROFL

I should stop the partisan crap. One post, one thread after another from
you, always bitching about Republicans or something someone said about
a Democrat, but never ever about a Democrat. Above, is the only time
I've ever seen you complain about any Democrat. Half a sentence.
This thread is because someone said a real leader would give a $50K
college deal. BFD. How about Cuomo? Right now? He's mired in scandal,
covered up the nursing home deaths in NY. But no, some lameos on CNN
said something that could be interpreted as negative about Biden, boom
you're on it.

Old February 18th 21, 04:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/18/2021 05:04 AM, wrote:
"Here, go into those woods and build a reasonably weatherproof structure
from the stuff that people have dumped there."

I spent a winter building shortwave radios out of junk I found in the
desert. Shotgun shells make great coil forms. Punch out the primer and
they're ready to screw to your breadboard.

I did splurge on a RadioShack FET for a transmitter. I made a CW contact
with a guy in Vegas. He said my frequency was drifting a little which
was rather amazing for the pile of junk (literally) I was transmitting with.

Old February 18th 21, 05:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 09:54:14 -0500, Ralph Mowery

says...

I can also easily point out a lot of those degrees don't actually
teach anyone how to do anything useful. That is why there are so many
graduates still sleeping in Mom's basement.
If they want to subsidize STEM degrees it might make some sense but
art history? Really? I don't see that job advertised very often maybe
never. That kind of job is usually taken by a person who went to
school when they were 5 or 6 and never left. They just work there now
making more people who can't find a job.

Yes, there are lots of degrees that there are very few job openings for.
My son took some kind of business course about 20 years ago. Took him a
bout 15 years to find a job that paid very much in the field. Before
that he worked at jobs that was along the line of his education,but
they did not pay very much over most manual labor jobs in the area.
He did hve about a 3.5 GPA so that should have landed him some good job
offerings after graduation, but it did not. Found out that most of the
job offerings in the field required several years of experiance.

It amazes me how the colleges can get big fees for courses that the end
result is jobs that do not pay much.

When a decent electrician makes $50k a year and up in wage depressed
Florida and find a job in the morning, it does make you wonder why a
BA is really worth much, particularly if you start your life $30k in
debt.

Old February 18th 21, 05:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 09:56:45 -0500, Ralph Mowery

says...

I doubt that anybody getting a degree in 4th Century Greek sculpture
could hack it at trade or technical school. Those disciplines require
aptitude.

Now, don't get me started on how useless most young people are because
they've spent their whole lives twiddling cell phone buttons or going to
"maker academy" where nothing has to be kludged together.

Yes, today the young people do not seem to be able to do simple repair
things around the house.

That is only because they never had a chance to be taught. "Shop"
disappeared from middle and high school in the 70s (probably because
educators didn't know which end of a hammer you hold) and we are
seeing the fallout now. Latinos are kicking our ass in the trades. If
you don't speak a little Spanish you can't be a job super or a
contractor these days. I was helped being an inspector because I took
a Spanish class and I made the extra effort to expand that "do you
have a telephone" stuff into the terms used in construction.
Old February 18th 21, 05:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Its different tho if you want to do some work. If you want
to be an engineer, doctor, dentist etc, you don't even get to
start without a degree. Nurses too now in many jurisdictions.

And with plenty of more than menial office jobs they don't even
consider your application at all if you don't have any qualifications.