Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Angle adapter widget for outdoor light fixture?

I'm replacing two motion activated outdoor lights. The old ones were
Heath- Zenith halogen with the dual bright feature. That's where they
come on at dusk for 4 or 6 hours at maybe 30% intensity to provide
accent lighting. At night if there is motion anytime, they come on full.

So, I'm replacing them with LED. First problem is that almost all the
LED ones just put out 5000 temp harsh light, even if they put out less
than full, it's still harsh and ugly. Next is that these have to go under
a soffit and while some of these lights claim to be mountable either
on a wall or under a soffit, they really don't point right when mounted
under a soffit. They wind up pointing to the ground close to where
they are mounted, at best, instead of lighting an area 25 ft out.
Next problem is the ones that are allegedly usable
under a soffit are meant to be installed on a 90 deg soffit and my
soffit follows the roof pitch, which is 22 deg on one roof. The other
is less, maybe 15 deg. After searching, the best light I found
are these, that Lowes stocks:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Enbrighten-...mer/1000478503

They allow you to adjust the color of the low accent lighting, which
sounds really nice. And the heads are adjustable for use under
a soffit as much as any are adjustable.

So, I'm looking for an adapter that can go as an interposer between
the fixture and electrical box so the fixture mounts horizontal, 90 deg
instead of 90 - 22 deg, etc. One box is 4" round, other is std
rectangular type. I could replace the rectangular one if needed.
The interposer needs to have an angle of at least 22 deg. If it's
more, like 33 deg I think it would work better, helping make it so
the light heads can be positioned facing out, away from the house
more.

I haven't really started to look for the interposer widget, but thought
I'd ask here is anyone knows of ones that would work. White or
paintable white, angle of 22 min, more maybe 33 to even 45 might
be better. If there was something you could cut to whatever angle
you want that might be good too. Anyone know of a good candidate?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/20 12:12 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

My dad had a carpenter's tool to copy angles. No idea what it's
called. There are all
sorts of adjustable brackets that lets one set the angle. One type is
for flag poles. Another is for trail cameras. What about using mirrors
or some other reflector to divert the light? Convex trucker's mirror?
Are there any barn or yard lights that would fit the
bill?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2020 10:12 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Make it by cutting and bending a 1/16" or so thick piece of sheet metal
to the right angle with holes through each "fold" the appropriate size
to wedge a bit of suitable size plastic conduit to run the wire between
the box and the lamp. Drill appropriate holes for mounting to the box
and the lamp. You could even allow enough extra to fold sides to cover
the fold gap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2020 1:12 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Would something like this work?
https://tinyurl.com/yavw6gcd

This does not seem to have enough angle unless you used two
https://tinyurl.com/yccjrwjv
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 12:43:55 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

[...]

Whst about a block of wood on the table saw to "adjust" the angle of
the soffit where the loght is mounted. Mabee a bit of trim to make it
less blockyand obvious?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 30, 2020 at 2:10:42 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Thanks Ed. That first square thing might work with the round plate adapter
shown below it. But one round thing would look better and 45 may be too
much. I have to go pick up one of these LED lights and see how it positions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

No table saw here and was hoping to avoid a lot of custom work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2020 11:43 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

My dad had a carpenter's tool to copy angles. No idea what it's
called.

Probably a sliding bevel.

https://cutthewood.com/diy/use-sliding-bevel

They're pretty simple. You can use a protractor to set a given angle but
a lot of times you don't really care how many degrees it is as long as
all the angles are the same.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My thought but I would use Trex or Azek, not wood.

My first question is what is the light for?
If it is for people you are NOT trying to scare away, I would find
other options beside spot/flood lights.
You can just buy the motion heads and choose more pleasant lights. I
only have 2 flood fixtures here and over 20 motion activated lights.
You can have your whole house and yard be lit when you get there and
be dark when you leave. Then you find you want soft light everywhere
instead of the Stalag 13 Klieg Lights in a few spots and flipping
switches everywhere else..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

If you do decide to go with a wedge I can send you one. I have a piece
of knock off Azek under my table saw that would prop up a 4"
box.What's the pitch of your roof?
(Probably 5:12 up there)
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 19:52:35 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

On 12/30/2020 11:43 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

My dad had a carpenter's tool to copy angles. No idea what it's
called.

Probably a sliding bevel.

https://cutthewood.com/diy/use-sliding-bevel

LOL! The senile "link-provider" struck again! You REALLY got nothing to do
but search for any stupid link to any stupid article whether on topic or off
topic, eh, senile gossip?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Did you look at the link? They provide accent lighting at a low level at dusk
and if anyone walks by they come on full. And the color temperature of the
accent lighting is adjustable. So they are a combination of accent lighting,
security lighting, and convenience lighting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

.

Thanks for the offer, I'll see what I can find that's ready made first. One roof
is ~22 deg, the other maybe 15. But more pitch than the roof is probably
better. I have to go buy one of the lights and then I'll know better. Previously
had Heath-Zenith halogen ones that were the same function. They had
rectangular heads and were barely positionable to get them pointed in an
acceptable direction, but they worked without an interposer. From what I've
seen in my searching, all the possible replacements are not going to work
without one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

They are still spot/flood lights. You can buy the Dual Bright sensors
and get the same effect with other lighting plans.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't expect a motion sensor with dual bright to work with LEDs. In fact,
since I had Heath-Zenith halogen before, I was ready to order their LED light
version. That is until I read the reviews. Many people were saying the same
thing, the low level accent lighting isn't low level, it's like 90% of full brightness
and almost indistinguishable. So if they couldn't get that right on a packaged
unit, I'd expect similar would happen if you tried to use a separate dual bright
motion sensor with some LED lighting you pick out. Which is why the ones
I selected that offer a color temp adjustment seemed like they were well
suited to the application. Also, unless LEDs are specifically designed to offer
a color change like that, just reducing a dimmable LED, you wind up with the
same horrible, harsh color temp as full brightness. It's dimmed but ugly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I don't really use the dual bright thing in most places. The full
power lighting is still pretty soft with lots of lights instead of a
couple bright ones. There are 16 15w sign bulbs in my screen cage but
they are on a dimmer. That is plenty of light to walk around in and in
the places where I need task light, it is separately switched. The
whole house pretty much works that way. The walking around light in
the bathrooms, kitchen and hall is rope light, hidden so it is
indirectly lighting the ceiling and under the toe kicks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 10:12:39 -0800 (PST), trader_4 posted for all of us to
digest...

[...]

Look at these: http://www.aifittings.com/catalog/fa...boxes/fan-and-
fixture-mounting-boxes-for-new-construction/
They are for fans but will work for your purposes and IIRC are made of plastic
so you can trim them for the slope.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 31, 2020 at 4:26:43 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

That's kind of what I was hoping to find. Only problem is it says it's 8" square,
so it's huge for what I need. I don't have time right now, but I will look there
to see if they have something similar and smaller. Thanks for the tip.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Jan 2021 11:57:11 -0800 (PST), trader_4 posted for all of us to
digest...

[...]

NP, you could also look up Orbit, but I think they make just metallic devices.
Good luck, let us know how you make out.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 4, 2021 at 4:10:43 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Two things I found that are interesting:

https://www.walterswholesale.com/cra...brushed-740797

The above I might be able to use just the angle half, but then IDK how I would fasten
that plus the fixture to the box. I don't think it has any mounting, it's just for a fan
as an adapter and the fan uses it's mounting to hold it all together.

https://www.fanshoppe.com/product/ac...iling-adapter/

This looks more promising, looks like it just uses longer screws where the fixture
attaches to the box. Looks good, except for the price

I still haven't acquired the fixture yet to check it out. I'm also thinking if a PVC pipe
size happens to work, maybe I cut cut an angled piece of that as an interposer.
I said I don't have a table saw, which is true, but I do have a chop saw. One thing for
sure, that would be the lowest cost solution, if the diameter just happens to work.
I could seal it up with silicone. If the size doesn't match up, I could go to a size that's
the next size over. But then I'd need a flat piece of something that I could cut into
a circle to cover the end the fixture will attach to. Not sure what that material
would be. Exterior plywood? I guess I could get a piece of sheet aluminum or metal,
but that would be harder to cut.

I'm really surprised that there are not ready made adapters for this. You'd think that
I'm not the only person that wants to mount something at some angle to a round
box. I did see some 45 adapters for rectangular boxes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/21 9:17 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Would it work to use a round to square adapter then do whatever?
Anything here work?
https://www.hubbell.com/raco/en/Products/Electrical-Electronic/Floor-Boxes/In-Floor/c/2324616

Posted to alt.home.repair

So I finally got around to working on this. I bought one of the fixtures.
First thing I realized is that the base of it is almost square, not round
like I had thought. That's very good, because if I need to make an
interposer to adjust the angle, I can make it out of wood fairly easy.

But of course it's not that easy.... The good news is that for the first
location where the roof/soffit slope is very low, it will fit and can be
nicely angled for coveratge. It's better than I hoped for. The bad news
is the freaking thing doesn't work correctly. Here is the situation.
This light has an accent mode, where it can be set to come on a low
brightness at dusk for 3 or 6 hours or from dusk till dawn. It has a
security light mode that can be set to come on when motion is
detected for 1, 5 or 20 minutes. The two modes are supposed to
work together, which makes sense.

It has a test mode so that you can adjust the motion sensor. When
the switch is set to test, the security light works. I can walk around
the area, it triggers momentarily, when I stop moving it goes off.
The accent mode works, when that setting switch is turned on,
it comes on at low output at dusk. But with the motion sensor enabled,
no response to motion at night. When I move the switch from test to either
1 min, 5 min or 20 mins, the light does not respond to motion, it just
stays on in low level accent mode. I thought maybe the motion setting
switch that moves between test, 1, 5, 20 is bad, but that can't be, because
when I turn the accent lighting mode off, then it does sense motion at
night and go to full brightness in the 1 min position. Turn the accent
lighting back on, then no response to motion.

This is very bizarre, seems something would have to be wrong with the IC
that they have in there that controls it for this to happen. I'm going to call
the company up today, see what they have to say, but I can't figure out a
logical explanation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 7, 2021 at 8:40:47 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Never mind.....

Just got off the phone with Jasco. That's the way the stupid thing is designed.
When accent lighting is on, it will not respond to motion and go into full brightness
security light mode. I had Heath/Zenith ones previously and they had accent
mode and when motion was detected, then they went to full brightness. This
is really dumb. With one more switch, they could have had it selectable to
either of those two ways of operation.

I can see where in some applications you would not want it to respond to motion
when accent lighting is on. Like if you have it in your backyard, like to hang out
there after dark with mosquitoes, want the accent lighting, but don't want it going
to full brightness when you move. But IMO there are more applications where you
want it to respond and go to full on, like when a car pulls up, you go out at night
so it lights up the whole area better so you can see, etc. I guess I can live with
it though, since it's perfect in all other respects. I'll just set it for 6 hours of
accent. Now I have to get another one for the other end of the house, where the
roof/soffit slope is greater and see if it can work there too.