Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why did my roof stop leaking?

I have a pitched roof with, I guess, asphalt shingles.

A few weeks ago, water was dripping from a spot in the 2nd floor
ceiling, during the rain.

But the rain was ending when I woke up, and it's rained several times
since then, even more heavily, with no dripping.

Not positive but I don't think there was much wind when it was dripping.

What's going on?

What should I look for when getting it fixed?

How can this be?

Why did my roof stop leaking?

The drip was only a foot from a 12" stovepipe fireplace chimney, hidden
in the walls, but on the roof that has a metal collar around it, and it
was sealed properly around the base of the pipe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 26, 2020 at 6:21:44 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
I have a pitched roof with, I guess, asphalt shingles.

A few weeks ago, water was dripping from a spot in the 2nd floor
ceiling, during the rain.

But the rain was ending when I woke up, and it's rained several times
since then, even more heavily, with no dripping.

Not positive but I don't think there was much wind when it was dripping.

What's going on?

What should I look for when getting it fixed?

A complete tear-off and inspection of the sheathing with
replacement of any rotted areas.

How can this be?

Why did my roof stop leaking?

It doesn't matter. Get your roof fixed. Didn't we talk about the
selfsame roof like two years ago?

Water is the enemy.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 26, 2020 at 7:19:05 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Saturday, December 26, 2020 at 6:21:44 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
I have a pitched roof with, I guess, asphalt shingles.

A few weeks ago, water was dripping from a spot in the 2nd floor
ceiling, during the rain.

But the rain was ending when I woke up, and it's rained several times
since then, even more heavily, with no dripping.

Not positive but I don't think there was much wind when it was dripping.

What's going on?

What should I look for when getting it fixed?

A complete tear-off and inspection of the sheathing with
replacement of any rotted areas.
How can this be?

Why did my roof stop leaking?

It doesn't matter. Get your roof fixed. Didn't we talk about the
selfsame roof like two years ago?

Water is the enemy.

Cindy Hamilton

It did not stop. The water chose a different path.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/26/2020 5:01 AM, Thomas wrote:
[...]

Or, it is just not raining as hard, and the wood structure and
insulation is absorbing it to rot the structure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 14:01:21 -0800, Bob F wrote:

[...]

Along with the boxes in the basement soaking up the water I think
Mikey's house will be "dozer reno" job when he's finished with it - -
- -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 26, 2020 at 6:21:44 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
I have a pitched roof with, I guess, asphalt shingles.

A few weeks ago, water was dripping from a spot in the 2nd floor
ceiling, during the rain.

But the rain was ending when I woke up, and it's rained several times
since then, even more heavily, with no dripping.

Not positive but I don't think there was much wind when it was dripping.

What's going on?

What should I look for when getting it fixed?

A competent roofer.

How can this be?

Why did my roof stop leaking?

The drip was only a foot from a 12" stovepipe fireplace chimney, hidden
in the walls, but on the roof that has a metal collar around it, and it
was sealed properly around the base of the pipe.

By sealed properly I hope you mean flashed. And how do you know it was
done right, were you up there when they did it? The chimney would be
high on the list of suspects. Also, how old is this roof? 30 or 3?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 27 Dec 2020 00:23:04 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

[...]

You have a point there, but the basement hasn't flooded in 20 years. So
the boxes are all dry, but I still think a couple would fall apart if I
tried to move them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2020 4:05 PM, micky wrote:

Why did my roof stop leaking?
It doesn't matter. Get your roof fixed. Didn't we talk about the
selfsame roof like two years ago?

Water is the enemy.

Cindy Hamilton
It did not stop. The water chose a different path.

Or, it is just not raining as hard, and the wood structure and
insulation is absorbing it to rot the structure.

Along with the boxes in the basement soaking up the water I think
Mikey's house will be "dozer reno" job when he's finished with it - -
- -

You have a point there, but the basement hasn't flooded in 20 years. So
the boxes are all dry, but I still think a couple would fall apart if I
tried to move them.

If the boxes have not been moved in 20 years they probably should be
moved once, to go to the Goodwill collections station. When moving I
took a lot of stuff to Salvation Army and Goodwill and have not missed
any of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 11:17:28 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

If they got wet and dried out by themselves it's more likely they
should go to the dump

Posted to alt.home.repair

EPDM Liquid Rubber can be applied over asphalt roofing as follows:
Built up asphalt roofs-You would first need to apply the ProFlex Primer before applying the liquid EPDM.
Modified asphalt roll roofing - First needing the ProFlex Primer
Asphalt Shingles-For the Asphalt substrates there cannot be any separation between layers. Cracked ridges must be cut out and filled with PROFLEX and rubber mix plus reinforced with POLY FABRIC.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 5:24:13 AM UTC-5, Lillian Quintero wrote:
EPDM Liquid Rubber can be applied over asphalt roofing as follows:
Built up asphalt roofs-You would first need to apply the ProFlex Primer before applying the liquid EPDM.
Modified asphalt roll roofing - First needing the ProFlex Primer
Asphalt Shingles-For the Asphalt substrates there cannot be any separation between layers. Cracked ridges must be cut out and filled with PROFLEX and rubber mix plus reinforced with POLY FABRIC.

Must look really great to use liquid rubber to repair a shingle roof.
Might as well put a big sign up, "Shyster Work Here". Cut out cracked
ridges and filled with more crap? What morons wrote this spam?