Posted to alt.home.repair

Default why can't I stop this da** commode from leaking!!!

Alright, after a complete change of the flush valve to brass, fill
valve, flapper a few weeks back, this darned commode is leaking again!
This is like the umpteenth time it has started leaking in the flapper
area and I'm running out of options and patience. Right now, I'm trying
to see if the cause is the valve itself or, once again, the da**
flapper. I've tried like 4 different flappers on this thing and they
seem to work for a while, then start letting water through. I even went
so far as a reseating kit which is in place this time and I could hear
the darned thing running occasionally yet AGAIN and turning off the
incoming water, lost a bunch of water in the tank in about an hour.

I've about reached an impass. Usually I'm pretty good at odd around the
house jobs like this, but no matter what I do with this commode, I can't
seem to get a good flapper seal. It is an older 5 gal type from the
'50's and originally had the brass valves in it. After the
servicemaster failed a while back, I went back to all brass and it's
still leaking through the flapper.

What gives? I mean, seriously! It shouldn't be this hard to get a
seal. No, the tank isn't leaking.... no water on the floor and I've
drained all the water down to just above the fill valve (but below the
flapper) to rule out leaks around the valve, but been there done that
and it wasn't so I'm sure I'm back to a leaky, da** flapper! I've tried
Korky, even the one for 5 gallon toilets, the original sealing ball for
the brass (before the reseating kit), and some off brand flappers and
nothing seems to do the job permanently. It shouldn't be THIS difficult
to nail down this issue once and for all!
Posted to alt.home.repair

OK, it seems to be the CHAIN from flapper to commode flush handle. It's
a stainless steel linked type and the links keeping getting caught on
one another, incredible! Is there a chain or method that won't tangle
here (sigh and eye roll...)?

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 20:06:03 -0500, Bill Baxter
wrote:

[...]

Somewhere in the above threads, I mentioned the possibility of a
hairline crack. You cannot always see them. The fix would be to
replace the toilet so somebody doesn't get hurt, should it collapse.
My two cents. I'm shocked at the price of some of these new ADA
toilets...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 20:17:28 -0500, Bill Baxter
wrote:

OK, it seems to be the CHAIN from flapper to commode flush handle. It's
a stainless steel linked type and the links keeping getting caught on
one another, incredible! Is there a chain or method that won't tangle
here (sigh and eye roll...)?

For giggles try some fishing line or a float on the chain for support.

Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/16 8:17 PM, Bill Baxter wrote:
OK, it seems to be the CHAIN from flapper to commode flush handle.
It's a stainless steel linked type and the links keeping getting
caught on one another, incredible! Is there a chain or method that
won't tangle here (sigh and eye roll...)?

Where is it written that it has to be a chain ?

Maybe try replacing with heavy fishing line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/16 8:28 PM, Retired wrote:
On 2/5/16 8:17 PM, Bill Baxter wrote:
OK, it seems to be the CHAIN from flapper to commode flush handle.
It's a stainless steel linked type and the links keeping getting
caught on one another, incredible! Is there a chain or method that
won't tangle here (sigh and eye roll...)?

Where is it written that it has to be a chain ?

Maybe try replacing with heavy fishing line.

or this:

Smarter Flush SF0700A Flapper Replacement with Chrome Handle
by Smarter Flush
Link: http://amzn.com/B00HFVWLCW
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/05/2016 08:28 PM, Retired wrote:
On 2/5/16 8:17 PM, Bill Baxter wrote:
OK, it seems to be the CHAIN from flapper to commode flush handle.
It's a stainless steel linked type and the links keeping getting
caught on one another, incredible! Is there a chain or method that
won't tangle here (sigh and eye roll...)?

Where is it written that it has to be a chain ?

Maybe try replacing with heavy fishing line.

Ok, guys, luckily I had some heavy fishing line around so out came the
chains and in went the line, being careful not to make it too tight or
loose. I sincerely hope to NOT hear from Mr. Commode again! He/she's
been like a cranky baby and won't settle down!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/05/2016 08:33 PM, Retired wrote:
On 2/5/16 8:28 PM, Retired wrote:
On 2/5/16 8:17 PM, Bill Baxter wrote:
OK, it seems to be the CHAIN from flapper to commode flush handle.
It's a stainless steel linked type and the links keeping getting
caught on one another, incredible! Is there a chain or method that
won't tangle here (sigh and eye roll...)?

Where is it written that it has to be a chain ?

Maybe try replacing with heavy fishing line.

or this:

Smarter Flush SF0700A Flapper Replacement with Chrome Handle
by Smarter Flush
Link: http://amzn.com/B00HFVWLCW

Thanks. I did try this exact device a few weeks back and it wouldn't
even fit into the tank. Once I sort of forced it into place, I then
couldn't get it to seal and returned it. A good idea, but too generic
for all commodes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Baxter wrote in :

[...]
seem to get a good flapper seal. It is an older 5 gal type from the
'50's and originally had the brass valves in it.

Why are you still dicking around with a 60+ year old toilet? Replace it. The savings on your
water bill will pay for it in a year or two, tops.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yes you did and I actually checked this, using a fiber optic light that
was able to reach inside the very small separation of tank to base area.
Once illuminated, I was able to directly see much of the underside of
the tank with a small drain camera I borrowed from a friend. No leaks!
BTW, a plumber tipped me off to checking it another way, not foolproof
of course but often right: let the tank drain until water level goes
just below the top of the flush valve and then let it set overnight. If
the level still drops, either a leak around the fill, flush valves or
crack in the tank bottom. I did this test too and the water level
didn't drop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/05/2016 10:29 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
Bill Baxter wrote in :

[...]
seem to get a good flapper seal. It is an older 5 gal type from the
'50's and originally had the brass valves in it.

Why are you still dicking around with a 60+ year old toilet? Replace it. The savings on your
water bill will pay for it in a year or two, tops.

I seriously thought about it, Doug, but "experts" in the field told me
that I would hate the newer toilets because they need a lot more
flushing to get stuff to go down properly. Maybe BS, maybe not, but
decided to continue trying to troubleshoot. It's been
good up until the last couple of days. Also, I was having difficulty
trying to match the offset "pink" of this 60+ year old Allianceware
toilet to the modern equivalent. The better half insisted on the same
color and it looked like it was going to be a problem finding one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2016 10:38 PM, Bill Baxter wrote:
On 02/05/2016 10:29 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
Bill Baxter wrote in
:

[...]
seem to get a good flapper seal. It is an older 5 gal type from the
'50's and originally had the brass valves in it.

Why are you still dicking around with a 60+ year old toilet? Replace
it. The savings on your
water bill will pay for it in a year or two, tops.

I seriously thought about it, Doug, but "experts" in the field told me
that I would hate the newer toilets because they need a lot more
flushing to get stuff to go down properly. Maybe BS, maybe not, but
decided to continue trying to troubleshoot. It's been
good up until the last couple of days. Also, I was having difficulty
trying to match the offset "pink" of this 60+ year old Allianceware
toilet to the modern equivalent. The better half insisted on the same
color and it looked like it was going to be a problem finding one.

They were right 15 years ago when the first low flush hi the market.
Today there are many 1.6 and 1.28 toilets that do a great job. See the
other thread about what toilets to buy. We really like the Kohler
comfort height, but there are other good ones.

Nothing beats the clean look of a white toilet too. Goes well with pink.

Them experts are probably telling you how easy it is to adjust the
carburetor so you don't have that fancy fuel injection.

Main stop-tap leaking Simon T[_4_] UK diy 16 November 5th 15 09:25 PM
Commode Bowl Leaking [email protected] Home Repair 2 June 19th 06 05:29 PM
Leaking stop cock Pedge UK diy 3 April 24th 05 07:59 PM
Leaking Stop Valve George Home Repair 2 March 15th 04 02:21 AM
Stop cock leaking Rich UK diy 7 September 29th 03 01:45 PM