Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default why can't I stop this da** commode from leaking!!!

On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 20:06:03 -0500, Bill Baxter
wrote:

Alright, after a complete change of the flush valve to brass, fill
valve, flapper a few weeks back, this darned commode is leaking again!
This is like the umpteenth time it has started leaking in the flapper
area and I'm running out of options and patience. Right now, I'm trying
to see if the cause is the valve itself or, once again, the da**
flapper. I've tried like 4 different flappers on this thing and they
seem to work for a while, then start letting water through. I even went
so far as a reseating kit which is in place this time and I could hear
the darned thing running occasionally yet AGAIN and turning off the
incoming water, lost a bunch of water in the tank in about an hour.

I've about reached an impass. Usually I'm pretty good at odd around the
house jobs like this, but no matter what I do with this commode, I can't
seem to get a good flapper seal. It is an older 5 gal type from the
'50's and originally had the brass valves in it. After the
servicemaster failed a while back, I went back to all brass and it's
still leaking through the flapper.

What gives? I mean, seriously! It shouldn't be this hard to get a
seal. No, the tank isn't leaking.... no water on the floor and I've
drained all the water down to just above the fill valve (but below the
flapper) to rule out leaks around the valve, but been there done that
and it wasn't so I'm sure I'm back to a leaky, da** flapper! I've tried
Korky, even the one for 5 gallon toilets, the original sealing ball for
the brass (before the reseating kit), and some off brand flappers and
nothing seems to do the job permanently. It shouldn't be THIS difficult
to nail down this issue once and for all!

Somewhere in the above threads, I mentioned the possibility of a
hairline crack. You cannot always see them. The fix would be to
replace the toilet so somebody doesn't get hurt, should it collapse.
My two cents. I'm shocked at the price of some of these new ADA
toilets...