Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old sump pump hole

My basement is one third dirt. I recently put in a battery backup sump pump but had to dig a new hole. Do I fill in the old hole?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-3083422-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 25, 2020 at 10:31:25 AM UTC-5, Wpellis wrote:
My basement is one third dirt. I recently put in a battery backup sump pump but had to dig a new hole. Do I fill in the old hole?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-3083422-.htm

Not much to go on. Why the new hole? Typically a sump pump pit isn't just a hole. There
are drain pipes laid around the perimeter of the foundation that lead to it, so it can
collect water across the basement, not just in one localized spot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had to put in a new hole because the original hole was very small and wouldn't hold the sump pump and the battery backup sump.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-3083422-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2020 10:01 AM, Wpellis wrote:
I had to put in a new hole because the original hole was very small and
wouldn't hold the sump pump and the battery backup sump.

Why did you not just dig out the old one? Did you check it for collector
pipes coming into it below the water line?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Question still is are there any pipes or drains that feed into the old hole ? How did water fill the old sump ?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-3083422-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's just a hole in the floor but closer to the dirt part so fills quickly. We put the new hole closer to the other side of the house so the water going out wouldn't come back against the house but drain down an incline. It works beautifully but for the water overflowing from the old hole. Should I fill it or just try to cut a groove thru the cement to drain it?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-3083422-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2020 12:01 PM, Wpellis wrote:
It's just a hole in the floor but closer to the dirt part so fills
quickly. We put the new hole closer to the other side of the house so
the water going out wouldn't come back against the house but drain down
an incline. It works beautifully but for the water overflowing from the
old hole. Should I fill it or just try to cut a groove thru the cement
to drain it?

Clearly, the old hole is properly constructed to catch the water that
needs to be expelled. Put the old pump back in it and pipe it to where
you want it to go. Put the battery pump in the new hole, and it will
catch the water flowing from the old hole when the power is out after it
flows across your floor and messes it all up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2020 1:01 PM, Wpellis wrote:
I had to put in a new hole because the original hole was very small and
wouldn't hold the sump pump and the battery backup sump.

Fill it with the dirt you took out of the other hole.