Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sump pump hole

In a stone and clay crawl space, digging down I hit concrete along the wall?
How far from wall should I go through it so as not to risk the foundation
footing? I'll have to rent some kind of jackhammer to get through it.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1131787-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 May 2017 17:44:02 GMT, Michael
m wrote:

In a stone and clay crawl space, digging down I hit concrete along the wall?
How far from wall should I go through it so as not to risk the foundation
footing? I'll have to rent some kind of jackhammer to get through it.

Try another hole a foot or so away from the wall. The footer should be
~18" wide. You should be able to miss it if you get a foot or two away
from the wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

In a stone and clay crawl space, digging down I hit concrete along the wall?
How far from wall should I go through it so as not to risk the foundation
footing? I'll have to rent some kind of jackhammer to get through it.

Try another hole a foot or so away from the wall. The footer should be
~18" wide. You should be able to miss it if you get a foot or two away
from the wall.

Also, this is not high precision NASA work. That footer isn't 18" plus or minus .001. It can vary back and forth as forms sag or are sloppily framed. It's probably 18 inches plus or minus 3. Maybe plus or minus 6 in spots. So moving laterally can sometimes help too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2017 10:44 AM, Michael wrote:
In a stone and clay crawl space, digging down I hit concrete along the
wall? How far from wall should I go through it so as not to risk the
foundation
footing? I'll have to rent some kind of jackhammer to get through it.

Jackhammer seems to be a brute force method.
Is there no other way, like a vent hole?
How about a concrete drill?
Directional drilling under the footing?

If a contractor said he was gonna use a jackhammer
to poke a 1" hole thru my foundation, I'd go rent
a different contractor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 12, 2017 at 1:44:06 PM UTC-4, Michael wrote:
In a stone and clay crawl space, digging down I hit concrete along the wall?
How far from wall should I go through it so as not to risk the foundation
footing? I'll have to rent some kind of jackhammer to get through it.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1131787-.htm

A related question is how much good a sump pump hole will do without
being connected to a drainage system that is installed along the
perimeter of the footings, which is what is typically done.