Posted to alt.home.repair

Default car battery explosions, was: Why are Li Ion UPSs so expensive?

From an engineering standpoint I like the transverse engine FWD

design.
All the stuff is in one place turning in the same direction.

I can't remember seeing an engine the other way round. I think the

old
Morris Marinas were that way, they had a very long bonnet.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/36535/...n-for-a-reason

With the weight that far forwards, braking hard would do an endo.

If you don't know what an endo is:
https://www.wikihow.com/images/e/ee/...-endo-bike.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCHsNoBEdrM

I've been known to pull a wheelie a time or two but I'll leave the endos
to the kiddies. I'm all to familiar with the 6 to 8 weeks bones take to
knit. Except ribs. Those suckers take forever.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...rumented-test/

Like I said VW's first attempt at FWD was not the most successful
design. It wasn't the car's fault but when the 55 mph national speed
limit went into effect in '74 it really didn't have the gearing to deal
with it. 55 was way down in the power curve in 4th so you had to
downshift to get over a mouse turd.

What was the speed limit before then?

It varied by the state, with the western states having a higher limit.
iirc Massachusetts, Vermont, and New York were 65, and New Hampshire was
70. They wouldn't bother you a 5 over and with reasonable care you could
cruise at 90-100. The Audi was happy at 75-80.

When the national speed limit went into effect the cops were really
****y for six months or so, longer in some states. I didn't pay close
attention to the mpg figures but I wouldn't be surprised if the Audi
used more fuel at 55. An 1.8 liter cc engine needs to be in its sweet
spot. otoh, my Lincoln had a 7 liter engine and wasn't fussy.

Purely personal but while the 'ergonomic' bucket seats certainly
appeared luxurious after about an hour it was the most uncomfortable
damn thing I've ever sat it.

As Martin Clunes (a British comedian) once said in an interview, "I
don't have a Recaro arse".

Ain't that the truth. If you matched the generic model it might have
been fantastic. I was more comfortable in the Sprite which was as
ergonomic as a lawn chair. It was amusing watching me unfold myself from
the little bugger though.

Some of the new Audis look really nice but I still have bad memories.

VW are cheaper.

When I bought the Audi all VW had was the Beetle and Type 3 (1500/1600).
The first gen 100LS was a shot at the BMW/Merc market. In Audi's
genealogy it became the A6 but I'd say it was closer to the A4.

VW tried sort of a parallel with the Phaeton but that was a dud in the
US. In fact none of the VW models are strong. The Golf, Taureg, and
Tiguan have sales but can't compete with the Japanese models. The local
dealer focuses mainly on the Taureg.

Posted to alt.home.repair

* From an engineering standpoint I like the transverse engine FWD
*
* I can't remember seeing an engine the other way round.* I think the
old
* Morris Marinas were that way, they had a very long bonnet.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/36535/...n-for-a-reason

With the weight that far forwards, braking hard would do an endo.

If you don't know what an endo is:
https://www.wikihow.com/images/e/ee/...-endo-bike.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCHsNoBEdrM

I've been known to pull a wheelie a time or two but I'll leave the endos
to the kiddies. I'm all to familiar with the 6 to 8 weeks bones take to
knit. Except ribs. Those suckers take forever.

I used to love doing endos in white water kayaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Sun, 1 Nov 2020 20:27:17 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I've been known to pull a wheelie a time

You are known to be a senile sucker of troll cock, lowbrowwoman! ...and a
ridiculous Covid- and Trumptard, to boot! LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 02 Nov 2020 04:25:28 -0000, Bob F wrote:

On 11/1/2020 7:27 PM, rbowman wrote:
From an engineering standpoint I like the transverse engine FWD
design.
All the stuff is in one place turning in the same direction.

I can't remember seeing an engine the other way round. I think the
old
Morris Marinas were that way, they had a very long bonnet.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/36535/...n-for-a-reason

With the weight that far forwards, braking hard would do an endo.

If you don't know what an endo is:
https://www.wikihow.com/images/e/ee/...-endo-bike.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCHsNoBEdrM

I've been known to pull a wheelie a time or two but I'll leave the endos
to the kiddies. I'm all to familiar with the 6 to 8 weeks bones take to
knit. Except ribs. Those suckers take forever.

I used to love doing endos in white water kayaks.

I prefer touring in a canoe. Like with a bicycle, it's a vehicle for travelling and enjoying scenery, not for performing tricks.