Posted to alt.home.repair

Default US election 2020: Why it can be hard to vote in the US..... a BBC report

A fierce battle over who should vote and how has sparked hundreds of
lawsuits and prompted accusations of voter suppression. So what are the
barriers to voting and why do they exist?

Images of the long queues of early voters were both celebrated as a sign
of enthusiasm and criticised as evidence of a creaking electoral system.

Queues, restrictive voting laws and limited access to polling stations
all keep people from participating in the democratic process, says
Andrea Hailey, the CEO of Vote.org, a non-partisan non-profit that aims
to use technology to help people register to vote.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54240651

I agree with this report, it's strange that something so basic as
casting a vote should be made so difficult for voters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/20 11:57 PM, Bod wrote:
A fierce battle over who should vote and how has sparked hundreds of lawsuits and prompted accusations of voter suppression. So what are the barriers to voting and why do they exist?

Images of the long queues of early voters were both celebrated as a sign of enthusiasm and criticised as evidence of a creaking electoral system.

Queues, restrictive voting laws and limited access to polling stations all keep people from participating in the democratic process, says Andrea Hailey, the CEO of Vote.org, a non-partisan non-profit that aims to use technology to help people register to vote.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54240651

I agree with this report, it's strange that something so basic as casting a vote should be made so difficult for voters.

The only way Biden wins is through massive voter fraud.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 22/10/2020 12:01, Jimmy Kauffenhak wrote:
On 10/21/20 11:57 PM, Bod wrote:
A fierce battle over who should vote and how has sparked hundreds of
lawsuits and prompted accusations of voter suppression. So what are
the barriers to voting and why do they exist?

Images of the long queues of early voters were both celebrated as a
sign of enthusiasm and criticised as evidence of a creaking electoral
system.

Queues, restrictive voting laws and limited access to polling stations
all keep people from participating in the democratic process, says
Andrea Hailey, the CEO of Vote.org, a non-partisan non-profit that
aims to use technology to help people register to vote.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54240651

I agree with this report, it's strange that something so basic as
casting a vote should be made so difficult for voters.

The only way Biden wins is through massive voter fraud.

Oh dear, another conspiracy jerk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bod wrote:
A fierce battle over who should vote and how has sparked hundreds of
lawsuits and prompted accusations of voter suppression. So what are the
barriers to voting and why do they exist?

Images of the long queues of early voters were both celebrated as a sign
of enthusiasm and criticised as evidence of a creaking electoral system.

Queues, restrictive voting laws and limited access to polling stations
all keep people from participating in the democratic process, says
Andrea Hailey, the CEO of Vote.org, a non-partisan non-profit that aims
to use technology to help people register to vote.

The ability to register to vote is available year round in my state, and
I would bet it is in most every state. Also, the ability to request an
Absentee Ballot for voting in an election is available in most states
months before the election. To imply that someone is eligible to vote
and is being deprived an opportunity to register and vote, is B.S.
Voting is like providing for ones family, it takes some effort but it is
the responsible thing to do if you care.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54240651

I agree with this report, it's strange that something so basic as
casting a vote should be made so difficult for voters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/2020 05:27 AM, Ken wrote:
Bod wrote:
[...]

I've voted absentee for years so I was already registered. The county
mailed out the ballots on 10/9 and I received it on 10/10. 10/12 was a
postal holiday so it effectively wasn't in the mail until the 13th. When
I checked on the web site, it had been received and accepted on the 16th.

Anybody who can't handle that is too pig ignorant to vote.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 04:57:25 +0100, Bod wrote:

A fierce battle over who should vote and how has sparked hundreds of
lawsuits and prompted accusations of voter suppression. So what are the
barriers to voting and why do they exist?

Images of the long queues of early voters were both celebrated as a sign
of enthusiasm and criticised as evidence of a creaking electoral system.

Queues, restrictive voting laws and limited access to polling stations
all keep people from participating in the democratic process, says
Andrea Hailey, the CEO of Vote.org, a non-partisan non-profit that aims
to use technology to help people register to vote.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54240651

I agree with this report, it's strange that something so basic as
casting a vote should be made so difficult for voters.

Maybe they should import Bolivians to teach them how to vote.
But it's pretty simple = One citizen, 1 vote.
Any questions?
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/2020 12:08 PM, Alexandria Reed wrote:
On Thursday, October 22, 2020 at 4:57:32 AM UTC+1, Bod wrote:
A fierce battle over who should vote and how has sparked hundreds of
lawsuits and prompted accusations of voter suppression. So what are the
barriers to voting and why do they exist?

Images of the long queues of early voters were both celebrated as a sign
of enthusiasm and criticised as evidence of a creaking electoral system.

Queues, restrictive voting laws and limited access to polling stations
all keep people from participating in the democratic process, says
Andrea Hailey, the CEO of Vote.org, a non-partisan non-profit that aims
to use technology to help people register to vote.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54240651

I agree with this report, it's strange that something so basic as
casting a vote should be made so difficult for voters.

I've been voting for over 50 years. Never found it difficult. You
register, you go to the polling place and vote. Now I vote by mail.

Some ballots by mail have to be signed. They were rejected in not
signed. Do you think reading instructions and signing your name is too
difficult?

Long lines? Sure, if a lot of people show up at the same time. Never
had to wait more than a few minutes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 22, 2020 at 4:57:32 AM UTC+1, Bod wrote:
A fierce battle over who should vote and how has sparked hundreds of
lawsuits and prompted accusations of voter suppression. So what are the
barriers to voting and why do they exist?

Images of the long queues of early voters were both celebrated as a sign
of enthusiasm and criticised as evidence of a creaking electoral system.

Queues, restrictive voting laws and limited access to polling stations
all keep people from participating in the democratic process, says
Andrea Hailey, the CEO of Vote.org, a non-partisan non-profit that aims
to use technology to help people register to vote.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54240651

I agree with this report, it's strange that something so basic as
casting a vote should be made so difficult for voters.

I vote from overseas for the US elections. I was a bit late to request an absentee ballot by mail, so I requested via email (which took 10 days approx. for a response due to Covid). As I filled out the down-loaded PDF with a wish to support freedom with my vote, I came across the envelope business (everything for overseas on the FVAP.gov website), and cursed, because nothing is simple. Nothing is guaranteed; nothing is warranted; but give it a try, and seek help if needed - every vote counts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/2020 9:16 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/23/2020 12:08 PM, Alexandria Reed wrote:
On Thursday, October 22, 2020 at 4:57:32 AM UTC+1, Bod wrote:
A fierce battle over who should vote and how has sparked hundreds of
lawsuits and prompted accusations of voter suppression. So what are the
barriers to voting and why do they exist?

Images of the long queues of early voters were both celebrated as a sign
of enthusiasm and criticised as evidence of a creaking electoral system.

Queues, restrictive voting laws and limited access to polling stations
all keep people from participating in the democratic process, says
Andrea Hailey, the CEO of Vote.org, a non-partisan non-profit that aims
to use technology to help people register to vote.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54240651

I agree with this report, it's strange that something so basic as
casting a vote should be made so difficult for voters.

I've been voting for over 50 years.Â* Never found it difficult.Â* You
register, you go to the polling place and vote.Â* Now I vote by mail.

Some ballots by mail have to be signed.Â* They were rejected in not
signed. Do you think reading instructions and signing your name is too
difficult?

Long lines?Â* Sure, if a lot of people show up at the same time.Â* Never
had to wait more than a few minutes.

Long lines occur in places that provide insufficient polling places for
the population there. Somehow, they are usually poorer areas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski writes:
[...]

Well, you are but one of 350 million citizens. It's not hard to believe
that not everyone is as privilged as you have been.

You
register, you go to the polling place and vote. Now I vote by mail.

When the only polling place is 50 miles away, and you don't
have a car, and your state won't allow you to absentee vote,
then what do you do?

Long lines? Sure, if a lot of people show up at the same time. Never
had to wait more than a few minutes.

And if there is only one polling place in a town with 100,000 residents...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
Ed Pawlowski writes:
[...]

Get radical and get a lift with one of your neighbours when
they are voting or maybe ring the party you want to vote
for and see if they can organise a lift there and back.

Long lines? Sure, if a lot of people show up at the same time. Never
had to wait more than a few minutes.

And if there is only one polling place in a town with 100,000 residents...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/20 11:56 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Ed Pawlowski writes:
[...]

I wonder if it's really harder to vote than it has been in the
past. There have
been pictures on the internet of long lines. Hasn't it been the same in
the past?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 12:16:31 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

That's been my experience too, never had to wait for more than maybe 3
people ahead of me and that was rare, usually no wait at all. The
interesting thing is that the libs and Democrats make it sound like the
places where there have been long waits was because the Republicans were
screwing people. Yet the cases I've heard of seem to be mostly Democrat
area, eg Los Angeles. They had a disaster there, they drastically reduced
the number of polling places and botched the process at the remaining ones.

This time I saw long lines, people waiting in line for 4 or 6 hours in Georgia
on the first day of in-person voting. Are they stupid or what? This was a
week ago when you had 3 weeks to vote! Why would you stand in line for hours
instead of coming back when the line is short? Wouldn't be surprised you could
still get an absentee ballot at that point too. The NYC news crew was down
here, showing people waiting in a line to drop off their ballots at the
election official's office. Right there is one of the many drop off boxes
that are available around the county. Apparently people are so crazy they
think someone is going to tamper with their ballot in the steel box right
outside the office, but inside it's all OK. Go figure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski writes:
[...]

We live in a village of a few thousand people and we have a voting
station. Our nearest town has 12 voting stations for a population of
164,000. I've never seen a queue of more than about 5 people.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski writes:
[...]

Well, you are but one of 350 million citizens.Â* It's not hard to believe
that not everyone is as privilged as you have been.

Â* You
register, you go to the polling place and vote.Â* Now I vote by mail.

When the only polling place is 50 miles away, and you don't
have a car, and your state won't allow you to absentee vote,
then what do you do?

Long lines?Â* Sure, if a lot of people show up at the same time.Â* Never
had to wait more than a few minutes.

And if there is only one polling place in a town with 100,000
residents...

Â*Â*Â* I wonder if it's really harder to vote than it has been in the
past.Â* There have
been pictures on the internet of long lines.Â* Hasn't it been the same in
the past?

We are still quite a time from the election. At least now, most places,
everyone doesn't have to vote one workday.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski writes:
[...]

Sure, but I have lived in three different states and in this election
have talked to other friends and relatives in different areas and none
have had a problem this time around.

Sure, a few places have lines but I don't see it as rampant. Most
states have early voting for a total of 10 to 20 days of voting time.
In places like that there is no excuse unless you wait to the last day.
Long lines the first day? Go the second or third day.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 16:56:24 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski writes:
[...]

Maybe all the states should be as progressive as Florida.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/2020 10:16 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Apparently for a number of voters. Fill the choices completelly with a
blue or black pen, put the ballot in the security envelope and seal it,
sign and date the outside envelope. Do not mke marks on the security
envelope. Mail before 11PM Nov 2.

That's an awful lot of steps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Our ballots were dropped in the dropbox yesterday. Just checked, and
both have been COUNTED. Thank you Washington state.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/2020 10:04 PM, Bob F wrote:

Our ballots were dropped in the dropbox yesterday. Just checked, and both have been COUNTED. Thank you Washington state.

How many ballots did you vote?

--
Demolitioncrats are destroying America!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 17:17:38 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

What state is that?

The State of Confusion

Good description of yourself again, endlessly gossiping senile Trumptard!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 17:15:58 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

Apparently for a number of voters. Fill the choices completelly with a
blue or black pen, put the ballot in the security envelope and seal it,
sign and date the outside envelope. Do not mke marks on the security
envelope. Mail before 11PM Nov 2.

That's an awful lot of steps.

Nope, this is just an awful lot of SENILE BLATHER, yet again! tsk Do you
useless senile cretins REALLY have to destroy Usenet with your senility?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
On 10/23/2020 9:16 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/23/2020 12:08 PM, Alexandria Reed wrote:
difficult?

Long lines?Â* Sure, if a lot of people show up at the same time.Â* Never
had to wait more than a few minutes.

Long lines occur in places that provide insufficient polling places for
the population there. Somehow, they are usually poorer areas.

Long lines also occur at stores such as Walmart when there are lots of
customers. It has nothing to do with the wealth of the clientele, just
how many are there at a specific time. Every inconvenience a person
encounters in their life, is not due to racism.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2020 8:01 AM, Ken wrote:
Bob F wrote:
On 10/23/2020 9:16 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/23/2020 12:08 PM, Alexandria Reed wrote:
difficult?

Long lines?Â* Sure, if a lot of people show up at the same time.Â* Never had to wait more than a few minutes.

Long lines occur in places that provide insufficient polling places for the population there. Somehow, they are usually poorer areas.

Long lines also occur at stores such as Walmart when there are lots of customers.Â* It has nothing to do with the wealth of the clientele, just how many are there at a specific time.Â* Every inconvenience a person encounters in their life, is not due to
racism.

And it doesn't help when criminalcrats hit multiple polling places and vote more than once.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2020 5:01 AM, Ken wrote:
Bob F wrote:
On 10/23/2020 9:16 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/23/2020 12:08 PM, Alexandria Reed wrote:
difficult?

Long lines?Â* Sure, if a lot of people show up at the same time.
Never had to wait more than a few minutes.

Long lines occur in places that provide insufficient polling places
for the population there. Somehow, they are usually poorer areas.

Long lines also occur at stores such as Walmart when there are lots of
customers.Â* It has nothing to do with the wealth of the clientele, just
how many are there at a specific time.Â* Every inconvenience a person
encounters in their life, is not due to racism.

We are talking about voting, not shopping. The fact is that the long
lines happen frequently in poorer areas and almost never in affluent areas.

And not at all in states with mail voting for everyone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 12:37:43 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , says...

We are talking about voting, not shopping. The fact is that the long
lines happen frequently in poorer areas and almost never in affluent areas.

And not at all in states with mail voting for everyone.

Withe eairly voting it is easy to not wait too long now. I pass by the
local voting place 2 or 3 times a week. The first 2 times there was a
long line outside the building. Then there was only 2 people outside on
the 3 rd time. Went there and they let those 2 in just as we got to the
door. Waited about 2 minites and 2 came out and we were invited in.
Walked right up to the place to get the ballot. Then the only time was
how long it took me and the wife to fill out the ballot.

It partially depends on your state. Here in backwards Mississippi, to vote
early or to vote by mail, I'd have to be over 65 or have a doctor's note or
be Active military or I'd have to sign an affidavit, under penalty of
perjury, saying that I'll be away from my polling place on election day.
None of those apply to me or my wife.

Some states proactively send out ballot applications. Some states send out
ballot application upon request, no questions asked. Some states send out
ballot applications only under specific circumstances. I'll stop there,
except to give my opinion that letting each state set its own voting rules
seems to be an epic fail.

If a person is registered to vote and eligible to vote, why can't they walk
into any voting location anywhere in the country and vote? We have
computers now. There's no reason that every ballot from every precinct
can't be made available at every voting place, with the completed ballot
sent back to the home precinct for tabulating.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2020 3:53 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:

If a person is registered to vote and eligible to vote, why can't they walk
into any voting location anywhere in the country and vote? We have
computers now. There's no reason that every ballot from every precinct
can't be made available at every voting place, with the completed ballot
sent back to the home precinct for tabulating.

Oh come on. Next thing you know you'll want roads connected from state
to state too like some sort of interstate transportation system. Can't
be done!

Many towns are still split and have books on paper with the registered
voter listing. Go to wrong place and you can't vote so drive acr4oss
town to the other place. There has to be some initiative to get rid of
the fiefdom mentality and update the systems. Start with a universal
database that towns must have by 2022, state wide by 2024, country wide
by 2026.
If we can have things like Facebook we can certainly have better voting
systems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 14:53:26 -0500, Jim Joyce
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 12:37:43 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , says...

[...]

Wouldn't that really have to require some kind of voter ID?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 15:09:08 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

Facebook is a monolithic private company.

You are certainly a "monolithic", huge, senile blabbermouth! LOL