Posted to alt.home.repair
%%[_2_] %%[_2_] is offline

Default US election 2020: Why it can be hard to vote in the US..... a BBC report

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
Ed Pawlowski writes:
On 10/23/2020 12:08 PM, Alexandria Reed wrote:
On Thursday, October 22, 2020 at 4:57:32 AM UTC+1, Bod wrote:
A fierce battle over who should vote and how has sparked hundreds of
lawsuits and prompted accusations of voter suppression. So what are the
barriers to voting and why do they exist?

Images of the long queues of early voters were both celebrated as a
sign
of enthusiasm and criticised as evidence of a creaking electoral
system.

Queues, restrictive voting laws and limited access to polling stations
all keep people from participating in the democratic process, says
Andrea Hailey, the CEO of Vote.org, a non-partisan non-profit that aims
to use technology to help people register to vote.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54240651

I agree with this report, it's strange that something so basic as
casting a vote should be made so difficult for voters.

I've been voting for over 50 years. Never found it difficult.

Well, you are but one of 350 million citizens. It's not hard to believe
that not everyone is as privilged as you have been.

You
register, you go to the polling place and vote. Now I vote by mail.

When the only polling place is 50 miles away, and you don't
have a car, and your state won't allow you to absentee vote,
then what do you do?

Get radical and get a lift with one of your neighbours when
they are voting or maybe ring the party you want to vote
for and see if they can organise a lift there and back.

Long lines? Sure, if a lot of people show up at the same time. Never
had to wait more than a few minutes.

And if there is only one polling place in a town with 100,000 residents...