Posted to alt.home.repair

Default US election 2020: Why it can be hard to vote in the US..... a BBC report

On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 14:53:26 -0500, Jim Joyce
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 12:37:43 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , says...

We are talking about voting, not shopping. The fact is that the long
lines happen frequently in poorer areas and almost never in affluent areas.

And not at all in states with mail voting for everyone.

Withe eairly voting it is easy to not wait too long now. I pass by the
local voting place 2 or 3 times a week. The first 2 times there was a
long line outside the building. Then there was only 2 people outside on
the 3 rd time. Went there and they let those 2 in just as we got to the
door. Waited about 2 minites and 2 came out and we were invited in.
Walked right up to the place to get the ballot. Then the only time was
how long it took me and the wife to fill out the ballot.

It partially depends on your state. Here in backwards Mississippi, to vote
early or to vote by mail, I'd have to be over 65 or have a doctor's note or
be Active military or I'd have to sign an affidavit, under penalty of
perjury, saying that I'll be away from my polling place on election day.
None of those apply to me or my wife.

Some states proactively send out ballot applications. Some states send out
ballot application upon request, no questions asked. Some states send out
ballot applications only under specific circumstances. I'll stop there,
except to give my opinion that letting each state set its own voting rules
seems to be an epic fail.

If a person is registered to vote and eligible to vote, why can't they walk
into any voting location anywhere in the country and vote? We have
computers now. There's no reason that every ballot from every precinct
can't be made available at every voting place, with the completed ballot
sent back to the home precinct for tabulating.

Wouldn't that really have to require some kind of voter ID?