Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sharkbite 1/2 vs 5/8"

I thought for a while I'd have to replace the water supply valve for a
toilet, and it measured 5/8" OD but all the sharkbite valves were
specified 1/2".

I already did this once, so I know it can be done. What am I missing?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/20 6:32 PM, micky wrote:
I thought for a while I'd have to replace the water supply valve for a
toilet, and it measured 5/8" OD but all the sharkbite valves were
specified 1/2".

I already did this once, so I know it can be done. What am I missing?

The OD of nominal "1/2" inch copper pipe is 5/8"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper...nada_and_India
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 9 Oct 2020 18:52:18 -0400,
wrote:

On 10/9/20 6:32 PM, micky wrote:
I thought for a while I'd have to replace the water supply valve for a
toilet, and it measured 5/8" OD but all the sharkbite valves were
specified 1/2".

I already did this once, so I know it can be done. What am I missing?

The OD of nominal "1/2" inch copper pipe is 5/8"

Aha. That makes sense I guess in the old days, people would ask
the manager of the hardware store. I wonder if there's anyone at HD or
Lowes who knows the answer.

I'm sure the guy at Ace Hardware does.

It turned out I could change the flapper and the internal valve without
turning off the water. The water sprayed about 7 feet high, but only
a little bit landed on the wall, and not too much more on the floor. I
wiped off the wall and floor can tend to itself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper...nada_and_India

Thanks.