Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Operating grills on patios

I live in an apartment. For the 2nd time, I have seen another resident operating a grill on their patio.

I reported the 1st instance to the manager.

From what I understand, it is not lawful to operate an grill under a balcony and not withing 10 feet of the residence.

I am trying to find the actual statute, but having no luck.

I live in Harris County of Texas.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/11/20 6:40 PM, AK wrote:
I live in an apartment. For the 2nd time, I have seen another resident operating a grill on their patio.

I reported the 1st instance to the manager.

From what I understand, it is not lawful to operate an grill under a balcony and not withing 10 feet of the residence.

I am trying to find the actual statute, but having no luck.

I live in Harris County of Texas.

Thanks.

https://www.harriscountylawlibrary.org
https://www.harriscountylawlibrary.org/cases-statutes-and-regulations
From long ago:
http://www.bbqgeeks.com/forum/threads/texas-grill-law.1150/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 16:40:00 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

I live in an apartment.
For the 2nd time, I have seen another resident operating a grill on their patio.
I reported the 1st instance to the manager.
From what I understand, it is not lawful to operate an grill under a balcony
and not withing 10 feet of the residence.
I am trying to find the actual statute, but having no luck.
I live in Harris County of Texas.
Thanks.

Is it the smoke or fire hazard that's bothering you ?
.... or just the " rule breaking " aspect. ?
Are they grilling ganja burgers ..
or honey smoked venison .. ?
Have you taken HD photographs and
knocked on their door with a pre-planned speech ?
They might invite you in for a true feast !
Best of luck.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/11/2020 7:40 PM, AK wrote:
I live in an apartment. For the 2nd time, I have seen another resident operating a grill on their patio.

I reported the 1st instance to the manager.

From what I understand, it is not lawful to operate an grill under a balcony and not withing 10 feet of the residence.

I am trying to find the actual statute, but having no luck.

I live in Harris County of Texas.

Thanks.

Talk to your local fire department. They would probably have the
information you need. It is allowed in some places under
certaincircimstances though. This is rather generic and may not apply
to your situation:
Is it safe to grill on a balcony?
The good news is that legally you are permitted to have a BBQ on your
balcony! Probably. The International Fire Code, who operate in America,
states you cannot use charcoal burners and other open-flame cooking
devices on combustible balconies (see above) or within 10 feet of
combustible construction.

Check here too, many towns are similar when writing ordinances.
https://www.houstontx.gov/fire/HFMO/faqs.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 11 Sep 2020 20:58:47 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 9/11/2020 7:40 PM, AK wrote:
I live in an apartment. For the 2nd time, I have seen another resident operating a grill on their patio.

I reported the 1st instance to the manager.

From what I understand, it is not lawful to operate an grill under a balcony and not withing 10 feet of the residence.

I am trying to find the actual statute, but having no luck.

I live in Harris County of Texas.

Thanks.

Talk to your local fire department. They would probably have the
information you need. It is allowed in some places under
certaincircimstances though. This is rather generic and may not apply
to your situation:
Is it safe to grill on a balcony?
The good news is that legally you are permitted to have a BBQ on your
balcony! Probably. The International Fire Code, who operate in America,
states you cannot use charcoal burners and other open-flame cooking
devices on combustible balconies (see above) or within 10 feet of
combustible construction.

Check here too, many towns are similar when writing ordinances.
https://www.houstontx.gov/fire/HFMO/faqs.html

In Brooklyn, my 1930 building had wood window sills and for the kitchen
window, I nailed a board about 2 feet wide and a 1 foot deep to the
window sill and put a charcoal grill on it. I screwed some clips to
the legs so the grill wouldn't fall off. I used it aout 30 times.
Tried to keep the window open when the lighter fluid fluid was flaming,
but one time the smoke was too bad inside, I shut the window, and the
heat cracked it. That was the only repair I asked the obnoxious
landlord to make in the 12 years I lived there. I traded it for
something he owed me.

Once, only once. someone next door, at Teen Challenge, got word to me
that there was a fire, but I'm sure he saw that the fire went out.

I put the nails in part way so they could be removed. When I left I
removed the grill, but the new tenants might use the shelf for plants.
In another room, I used a similar shelf to hold a room AC, so it
wouldn't fall and hit the kids playing basketball at Teen Challenge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I live in an apartment.
For the 2nd time, I have seen another resident operating a grill on their patio.
I reported the 1st instance to the manager.
From what I understand, it is not lawful to operate an grill under a balcony
and not withing 10 feet of the residence.
I am trying to find the actual statute, but having no luck.
I live in Harris County of Texas.
Thanks.

Is it the smoke or fire hazard that's bothering you ?
... or just the " rule breaking " aspect. ?
Are they grilling ganja burgers ..
or honey smoked venison .. ?
Have you taken HD photographs and
knocked on their door with a pre-planned speech ?
They might invite you in for a true feast !
Best of luck.
John T.

When they lit the charcoal grill, the flames were going up about 2-3 feet.

Not far from the ceiling of the covered patio.

The apartments once had a fire that burned half of it down.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/11/20 7:40 PM, AK wrote:
I live in an apartment. For the 2nd time, I have seen another resident operating a grill on their patio.

I reported the 1st instance to the manager.

From what I understand, it is not lawful to operate an grill under a balcony and not withing 10 feet of the residence.

I am trying to find the actual statute, but having no luck.

I live in Harris County of Texas.

Thanks.

Ya' think that rather than seeking advice on a world-wide forum, it
might be more effective to contact the landlord or your local
authorities- fire department, zoning enforcement, county administrator,
etc.?

--
When you are dead, you do not know that you are are dead; all of the
pain is felt by others. The same thing happens if you are stupid.