Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Moss resistant patios

16 years agowhen the house was new, I laid a patio in the back garden,
using ordinary paving stones left over after the builders had
finished. Laid on top of a sub -base of Dolomite / Sharp sand,
they've withstood the test of time in stability, but the surface has
become very discoloured through moss. Their position on the North
facing elevation and in a particularly shaded spot in the garden
doesn't help. I am determined to replace them, but what with? Is
there commercially available surface which would resist moss?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

abueloeddie wrote:
16 years agowhen the house was new, I laid a patio in the back garden,
using ordinary paving stones left over after the builders had
finished. Laid on top of a sub -base of Dolomite / Sharp sand,
they've withstood the test of time in stability, but the surface has
become very discoloured through moss. Their position on the North
facing elevation and in a particularly shaded spot in the garden
doesn't help. I am determined to replace them, but what with? Is
there commercially available surface which would resist moss?

Pressure wash and apply a moss killing solution.

Nature can grow on any surface, and moss is ideal for soggy dank places.
It needs no soil since it acts as its own water retaining sponge..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"abueloeddie" wrote in message
16 years agowhen the house was new, I laid a patio in the back garden,
using ordinary paving stones left over after the builders had
finished. Laid on top of a sub -base of Dolomite / Sharp sand,
they've withstood the test of time in stability, but the surface has
become very discoloured through moss. Their position on the North
facing elevation and in a particularly shaded spot in the garden
doesn't help. I am determined to replace them, but what with? Is
there commercially available surface which would resist moss?

Can't you just use a pressure washer to clean them every few years?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Sep, 10:45, "Toby" wrote:

Can't you just use a pressure washer to clean them every few years?

I'd second this. I was amazed at the difference it made to our patio.
I'd forgotten how nice the paving stones looked until I pressure-
washed them. They'd been down for three years, and it wasn't
particularly moss so much as general grime.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

abueloeddie wrote:
16 years agowhen the house was new, I laid a patio in the back garden,
using ordinary paving stones left over after the builders had
finished. Laid on top of a sub -base of Dolomite / Sharp sand,
they've withstood the test of time in stability, but the surface has
become very discoloured through moss. Their position on the North
facing elevation and in a particularly shaded spot in the garden
doesn't help. I am determined to replace them, but what with?

Is there commercially available surface which would resist moss?

Never heard of anything like that, but you can buy plastic mop buckets that
are made with something that prevents bacteria & mould. There is also a
type of powder coating (Activecoat) for lockers in hospitals which does the
same thing. Wonder if the idea could be applied to slabs?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to The Medway Handyman, creekgirl wrote:
No, no, no! Don't powerwash moss off concrete or flagstone! At the level of
pressure sufficient to blast off moss, the surface of the concrete or stone
becomes abraded. Tiny pock marks trap dirt easier, and moss comes back more
embedded and harder to dislodge than ever. Especially tragic to ruin the
surface of beautiful, expensive flagstone. Don't ask me how I know......

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...os-506096-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 11 August 2018 17:14:04 UTC+1, creekgirl wrote:
replying to The Medway Handyman, creekgirl wrote:
No, no, no! Don't powerwash moss off concrete or flagstone! At the level of
pressure sufficient to blast off moss, the surface of the concrete or stone
becomes abraded. Tiny pock marks trap dirt easier, and moss comes back more
embedded and harder to dislodge than ever. Especially tragic to ruin the
surface of beautiful, expensive flagstone. Don't ask me how I know......

That's worth knowing, though I suspect the OP has already learnt that after 10 years.

NT