Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cement work

I decided to re-purpose my old basement darkroom.
Bought two, 50# bags of cement to more or less level the floor. Sort of
bragging to the young woman next door to me that I can still lift 50#
bags at age 71.

Due to a low spot, mentioned that I was going to have to go back to the
store and buy one more bag.

She told me: Just a minute...than ran bag into her house and came out
carrying a 50# bag and said: here ya go, if you need more, just ask.

She did not seem to be straining at all.

I live in Milwaukee. Love it here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2020 10:17 AM, philo wrote:
I decided to re-purpose my old basement darkroom.
Bought two, 50# bags of cement to more or less level the floor. Sort of
bragging to the young woman next door to me that I can still lift 50#
bags at age 71.

Due to a low spot, mentioned that I was going to have to go back to the
store and buy one more bag.

She told me: Just a minute...than ran bag into her house and came out
carrying a 50# bag and said: here ya go, if you need more, just ask.

She did not seem to be straining at all.*

I live in Milwaukee. Love it here.

That was probably a tranny. Milwaukee is famous for 'em.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Aug 2020 12:17:53 -0500, philo wrote:

I decided to re-purpose my old basement darkroom.
Bought two, 50# bags of cement to more or less level the floor. Sort of
bragging to the young woman next door to me that I can still lift 50#
bags at age 71.

Due to a low spot, mentioned that I was going to have to go back to the
store and buy one more bag.

She told me: Just a minute...than ran bag into her house and came out
carrying a 50# bag and said: here ya go, if you need more, just ask.

She did not seem to be straining at all.

I live in Milwaukee. Love it here.

Would have been great if she came out with an 80# bag.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Aug 2020 12:17:53 -0500, philo wrote:

I decided to re-purpose my old basement darkroom.
Bought two, 50# bags of cement to more or less level the floor. Sort of
bragging to the young woman next door to me that I can still lift 50#
bags at age 71.

Due to a low spot, mentioned that I was going to have to go back to the
store and buy one more bag.

She told me: Just a minute...than ran bag into her house and came out
carrying a 50# bag and said: here ya go, if you need more, just ask.

She did not seem to be straining at all.

I live in Milwaukee. Love it here.

This is my wife when she was about 50 throwing 60# bags in the mixer.
She could do the 80s but she was complaining about it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 25 Aug 2020 12:17:53 -0500, philo
wrote:

I decided to re-purpose my old basement darkroom.
Bought two, 50# bags of cement to more or less level the floor. Sort of
bragging to the young woman next door to me that I can still lift 50#
bags at age 71.

Due to a low spot, mentioned that I was going to have to go back to the
store and buy one more bag.

She told me: Just a minute...than ran bag into her house and came out
carrying a 50# bag and said: here ya go, if you need more, just ask.

LOL I feel bad for you. Isn't there something we could put in their
maypo so they wouldn't grow so strong.

How tall is she. I've noticed an enormous number of girls from 16 to 35
who are 5'11 or more. The boys didn't get that much taller, did they?
Or maybe I just don't look at boys.

She did not seem to be straining at all.

I live in Milwaukee. Love it here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/25/2020 11:17 AM, philo wrote:
I decided to re-purpose my old basement darkroom.
Bought two, 50# bags of cement to more or less level the floor. Sort of
bragging to the young woman next door to me that I can still lift 50#
bags at age 71.

Due to a low spot, mentioned that I was going to have to go back to the
store and buy one more bag.

She told me: Just a minute...than ran bag into her house and came out
carrying a 50# bag and said: here ya go, if you need more, just ask.

She did not seem to be straining at all.

She's probably used to slinging 50# kids around...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/20 12:32 PM, KWills wrote:
On 8/25/2020 10:17 AM, philo wrote:
I decided to re-purpose my old basement darkroom.
Bought two, 50# bags of cement to more or less level the floor. Sort
of bragging to the young woman next door to me that I can still lift
50# bags at age 71.

Due to a low spot, mentioned that I was going to have to go back to
the store and buy one more bag.

She told me: Just a minute...than ran bag into her house and came out
carrying a 50# bag and said: here ya go, if you need more, just ask.

She did not seem to be straining at all.*

I live in Milwaukee. Love it here.

That was probably a tranny.* Milwaukee is famous for 'em.

LOL

Yes, we do have trannys here and they are very easy to sport. She is not
one by any means.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/20 1:21 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:
On Tue, 25 Aug 2020 12:17:53 -0500, philo wrote:

I decided to re-purpose my old basement darkroom.
Bought two, 50# bags of cement to more or less level the floor. Sort of
bragging to the young woman next door to me that I can still lift 50#
bags at age 71.

Due to a low spot, mentioned that I was going to have to go back to the
store and buy one more bag.

She told me: Just a minute...than ran bag into her house and came out
carrying a 50# bag and said: here ya go, if you need more, just ask.

She did not seem to be straining at all.

I live in Milwaukee. Love it here.

Would have been great if she came out with an 80# bag.

Yeah

With my artificial knees I'm not sure I could carry it!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I decided to re-purpose my old basement darkroom.
Bought two, 50# bags of cement to more or less level the floor. Sort of
bragging to the young woman next door to me that I can still lift 50#
bags at age 71.

Due to a low spot, mentioned that I was going to have to go back to the
store and buy one more bag.

She told me: Just a minute...than ran bag into her house and came out
carrying a 50# bag and said: here ya go, if you need more, just ask.

LOL I feel bad for you. Isn't there something we could put in their
maypo so they wouldn't grow so strong.

How tall is she. I've noticed an enormous number of girls from 16 to 35
who are 5'11 or more. The boys didn't get that much taller, did they?
Or maybe I just don't look at boys.

She did not seem to be straining at all.

I live in Milwaukee. Love it here.

I think she's 5' 8"

Medium build and really a knock out as far as looks. I'd say maybe 35
years old.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/20 9:33 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 08/25/2020 11:17 AM, philo wrote:
I decided to re-purpose my old basement darkroom.
Bought two, 50# bags of cement to more or less level the floor. Sort of
bragging to the young woman next door to me that I can still lift 50#
bags at age 71.

Due to a low spot, mentioned that I was going to have to go back to the
store and buy one more bag.

She told me: Just a minute...than ran bag into her house and came out
carrying a 50# bag and said: here ya go, if you need more, just ask.

She did not seem to be straining at all.*

She's probably used to slinging 50# kids around...

She has no kids but I sure have seen mother's toting kids I probably
could not handle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/26/2020 06:01 PM, philo wrote:
On 8/25/20 9:33 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 08/25/2020 11:17 AM, philo wrote:
I decided to re-purpose my old basement darkroom.
Bought two, 50# bags of cement to more or less level the floor. Sort of
bragging to the young woman next door to me that I can still lift 50#
bags at age 71.

Due to a low spot, mentioned that I was going to have to go back to the
store and buy one more bag.

She told me: Just a minute...than ran bag into her house and came out
carrying a 50# bag and said: here ya go, if you need more, just ask.

She did not seem to be straining at all.

She's probably used to slinging 50# kids around...

She has no kids but I sure have seen mother's toting kids I probably
could not handle.

The gym I used to go to had a woman who competed in several matches. I
could out lift her in the dead lift but she beat me all to hell in the
bench press. Nothing special and not one of those freaky women you see
just a middle aged farm girl who found out she was good at the bench press.

Having long arms and a wonky shoulder didn't do me any favors on the bench.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/26/20 8:34 PM, rbowman wrote:
[...]

Last time I lifted weights was 1969.

When I got drafted, I left them behind in the apartment.

In basic I got my chance to lift weights.

We had to pick up a guy about our own size, throw them over our shoulder
and run with them for I think 100 yards.

It was tough but even worse actually was being carried!

A rough ride it was.
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo writes:

On 8/26/20 8:34 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 08/26/2020 06:01 PM, philo wrote:
On 8/25/20 9:33 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 08/25/2020 11:17 AM, philo wrote:
I decided to re-purpose my old basement darkroom.
Bought two, 50# bags of cement to more or less level the floor. Sort of
bragging to the young woman next door to me that I can still lift 50#
bags at age 71.

Due to a low spot, mentioned that I was going to have to go back to the
store and buy one more bag.

She told me: Just a minute...than ran bag into her house and came out
carrying a 50# bag and said: here ya go, if you need more, just ask.

She did not seem to be straining at all.Â*

She's probably used to slinging 50# kids around...

She has no kids but I sure have seen mother's toting kids I probably
could not handle.

The gym I used to go to had a woman who competed in several
matches. I could out lift her in the dead lift but she beat me all
to hell in the bench press. Nothing special and not one of those
freaky women you see just a middle aged farm girl who found out she
was good at the bench press.

Having long arms and a wonky shoulder didn't do me any favors on the bench.

Last time I lifted weights was 1969.

When I got drafted, I left them behind in the apartment.

In basic I got my chance to lift weights.

We had to pick up a guy about our own size, throw them over our
shoulder and run with them for I think 100 yards.

It was tough but even worse actually was being carried!

A rough ride it was.

Last time I lifted was yesterday.
I'm 74.
Carrying a heavy weight doesn't do the same job.

To get maximum benefit:

1. Use about 75% of the max weight you can lift.
2. Repeat the movement through the muscles full range of motion in a
controlled motion.
3. Repeat the movement 10 to 12 times. That's a set.
4. Do 3 sets.
5. Don't hold your breath, breath steadily.
6. Try to exercise all the major muscle groups.
7. Work up to 12 repetitions, then increase the weight and
start at 10 again.

Working out with weights can do amazing things to your health.
I wish I had done more but I still have a pretty good build.
Weight lifting can help most anyone.
If you've neglected yourself, start slowly.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 09:09:30 -0500, philo wrote:

On 8/26/20 7:37 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:
On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 18:56:37 -0500, philo wrote:

On 8/25/20 4:40 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 25 Aug 2020 12:17:53 -0500, philo wrote:

I decided to re-purpose my old basement darkroom.
Bought two, 50# bags of cement to more or less level the floor. Sort of
bragging to the young woman next door to me that I can still lift 50#
bags at age 71.

Due to a low spot, mentioned that I was going to have to go back to the
store and buy one more bag.

She told me: Just a minute...than ran bag into her house and came out
carrying a 50# bag and said: here ya go, if you need more, just ask.

She did not seem to be straining at all.

I live in Milwaukee. Love it here.

This is my wife when she was about 50 throwing 60# bags in the mixer.
She could do the 80s but she was complaining about it.

Though my wife buys flower is a five pound bag or whatever, I do recall
my grandmother's 50# bag of it.

When I was a kid, my mother would buy the big bags of flour and we'd dump
them into a big red aluminum container, about 3 1/2 feet tall by 3 feet
across. When she needed to refill the little flour canister in the kitchen,
she'd send one of us upstairs to get it from that red bin. We always sifted
it at that point, and we _always_ found small black bugs.

Good to sift out the bugs but of course after baking , no chance of harm.

Probably no harm without baking!

In college, I gave a speech on why we should eat more insects, especially
termites.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/20 4:40 PM, wrote:
[...]

You know, the sifting isn't just because of bugs. It's to get the lumps
out of the flour. I do think you know that, but for the record.

About 10 days ago I bought some breaded roast chicken, already cut up,
and it looked so good but it was a big disappointment. I ate most of
it anyhow and thought I'd eaten all of it. Left it out of the fridge
and the next day were larvae, pupas, something, 1000s of them , 2 mm
long worms in the clamshell container with the clear top.

It sealed really well and they couldnt' get out so I decided to see what
happened. After a day or two they stopped moving. I can only guess
that they used up all O2. After another day or two, the individuals
could not be seen separately anymore. There are empty areas but it's
like one yellow/brown/orange paste.

Good to sift out the bugs but of course after baking , no chance of harm.

Probably no harm without baking!

In college, I gave a speech on why we should eat more insects, especially
termites.

Did you feel that way? Do you still?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 28 Aug 2020 11:43:06 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

philo writes:

[...]

This is the first time I've seen this mentioned. I think I tend to
hold my breath, but I'm not sure. I can't do things and pay attention
to my breath at the same time, but I know what sets the limit of my
efforts is that I run out of breah first, before my muscles are tired.

How do I solve this?

6. Try to exercise all the major muscle groups.
7. Work up to 12 repetitions, then increase the weight and
start at 10 again.

Working out with weights can do amazing things to your health.
I wish I had done more but I still have a pretty good build.
Weight lifting can help most anyone.
If you've neglected yourself, start slowly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/20 4:40 PM, wrote:
[...]

Yes, good point, but as a kid, the bugs were far more interesting than the
occasional lump.

About 10 days ago I bought some breaded roast chicken, already cut up,
and it looked so good but it was a big disappointment. I ate most of
it anyhow and thought I'd eaten all of it. Left it out of the fridge
and the next day were larvae, pupas, something, 1000s of them , 2 mm
long worms in the clamshell container with the clear top.

Maggots?

It sealed really well and they couldnt' get out so I decided to see what
happened. After a day or two they stopped moving. I can only guess
that they used up all O2. After another day or two, the individuals
could not be seen separately anymore. There are empty areas but it's
like one yellow/brown/orange paste.

I think a lot of the food we eat has insect eggs on the outside or under
the skin, or possibly insects that have bored in, or if it's processed food
it can have insect parts. The FDA specifies how many parts are allowed and
AFAIK the answer is never zero in common foods.

There was recently a viral video about strawberries. They said you should
always soak your strawberries in salt water for 10-15 minutes because some
have bugs and the sal****er drives them out. The video showed the bugs
crawling out and coming up for air. I think it may have been Snopes that
said only about 2% of strawberries have bugs, so it's not really something
to worry about. Besides, eating them isn't a problem.

Good to sift out the bugs but of course after baking , no chance of harm.

Probably no harm without baking!

In college, I gave a speech on why we should eat more insects, especially
termites.

Did you feel that way? Do you still?

I ate bugs as a kid, probably every boy has, but my speech topic was driven
by an article I had read that said the world's population was increasing
faster than the farmers could provide food, and that it was inevitable that
the time would come when we can't produce enough. At the time, 6 billion
was the looming line in the sand, but of course we've zipped past that by
now, passing 7.5 billion.

Beef, especially, is problematic, because cows need an awful lot of feed,
take a long time to get market ready, need a lot of space, and produce a
lot of methane. Termites, on the other hand, are easy to feed, very quick
to reach maturity, and are very high in protein and other minerals. They
can be ground as flour, made into a paste, baked into other foods, etc. The
only thing stopping us is the ick factor, but as I pointed out in my
speech, as young kids we learn which foods will gross us out. In some Asian
countries, certain insects are part of their diet and no one is grossed
out. It's an interesting topic, but my speech instructor said that in 40
years of teaching, no one else had spoken on that subject.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/20 4:40 PM, wrote:
[...]

I read one of those novels about captives of the Japs in WWII and they
pointed out the weevils in the rice might be their only source of
protein. I guess once you get over the yuck factor, bugs are just
food. I am sure we have all eaten our share of them in factory food.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/20 4:40 PM, wrote:
[...]

I've seen bugs in Raspberries and blackberries -due to the way they
are "constructed" - never seen them in strawberries - they are "built"
differently

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I get those Knorr Pasta Sides for cheap meals when camping. I've noticed
that some of the older packets have little holes where the cabinet
beetle have chewed their way out.

Some whole grains become breeding grounds too. I've never had a problem
with rolled oat meal and I think it's because the oats are steamed prior
to rolling.

Those of sensitive stomachs don't want to know about the legal limits
for insect parts and rodent hairs in foods.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/28/2020 08:01 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
I've seen bugs in Raspberries and blackberries -due to the way they
are "constructed" - never seen them in strawberries - they are "built"
differently

I took a walk Sunday and it was grasshoppers galore. I was thinking of
the Indian trick of lighting the grass but there just was a grass fire
lower down the mountain and they'd be upset with another. The idea works
like a charm though. Fresh, crispy fried hoppers. The tickly little legs
burn off and best of all you don't have to chase the damn things with a net.

Ecologically, burning off the grasslands isn't a bad idea in itself. The
ash is more readily available fertilizer than waiting for the dead grass
to decompose naturally.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Clare Snyder pretended :

I've seen bugs in Raspberries and blackberries -due to the way they
are "constructed" - never seen them in strawberries - they are "built"
differently

Yes, they are not a true fruit, but an accessory fruit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 21:11:40 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 08/28/2020 08:01 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
I've seen bugs in Raspberries and blackberries -due to the way they
are "constructed" - never seen them in strawberries - they are "built"
differently

I took a walk Sunday and it was grasshoppers galore. I was thinking of
the Indian trick of lighting the grass but there just was a grass fire
lower down the mountain and they'd be upset with another. The idea works
like a charm though. Fresh, crispy fried hoppers. The tickly little legs
burn off and best of all you don't have to chase the damn things with a net.

Ecologically, burning off the grasslands isn't a bad idea in itself. The
ash is more readily available fertilizer than waiting for the dead grass
to decompose naturally.

Fire is a natural part of the environment in a lot of places. Man has
not done himself any favors by jumping to put out every fire right
away. It just tends to build up fuel and make the fires they get, much
worse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 28 Aug 2020 22:01:24 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

I've seen bugs in Raspberries and blackberries -due to the way they
are "constructed" - never seen them in strawberries - they are "built"
differently

Strawberries have their seeds on the outside!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've seen bugs in Raspberries and blackberries -due to the way they
are "constructed" - never seen them in strawberries - they are "built"
differently

Strawberries have their seeds on the outside!

Achenes, to be accurate...