Posted to alt.home.repair

Default portable butane tank expiration

While trying to get two portable butane tanks filled at a different place than I usually do, the employee was looking intently at the tanks. I asked him, what are you doing? He was looking for the manufacture date on the tanks. One was four years out of date and couldn't be filled, the other will be out of date in four years. According to him portable butane tanks only have a life of 12 years before they have to be replaced. They're a 20# and a 40# tanks, not the little ones for lanterns and portable stoves.

He was going to fill that one tank and I told him to hell with that, I'll just take them where I usually go, they never check the date there, and they didn't, when I took them to my regular place.

Who knew they're only good for 12 years? That seems ridiculous to me. I didn't want to ask at the place I usually go to, in case they didn't want to fill them. My tanks are fairly new looking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/20 5:14 PM, Dogma wrote:
[...]

Actually it is 5 or 10 years, depending.

See
https://www.phmsa.dot.gov/sites/phms...pane_en_v3.pdf

"Propane cylinders must be requalified or replaced every 5 or 10 years
depending on the cylinder type, condition, and previous requalification
method. (Ref. 49 CFR § 180.205(d) and 180.209(e).)"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 17:25:54 -0400, posted for all of us
to digest...

On 8/22/20 5:14 PM, Dogma wrote:
[...]

I believe he was citing *butane* tanks.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 8/22/20 5:14 PM, Dogma wrote:
[...]

Well I guess I can always exchange the tanks at Home Depot or some other place like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/20 5:14 PM, Dogma wrote:
[...]

True, which made me curious. I'm not sure anyone refills butane tanks
around here although there are plenty of propane options. Butane has
some advantages but I don't think convenience is one of them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/20 5:14 PM, Dogma wrote:
[...]

Hey, no problem....as long as your fire insurance is in force with
coverage limits high enough to cover rebuilding costs ;-)

--
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 16:41:39 -0500, "Dogma"

On 8/22/20 5:14 PM, Dogma wrote:
[...]

Walmart. They will even take a rusty old "Pre OPD" cylinder and swap
it for $15. Nobody seems to look at anything except that it looks the
right size to fit in the locker.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/20 5:14 PM, Dogma wrote:
[...]

Most retail employees are suffering from mask-induced hypoxia.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Alexandria Omar-Whitmer writes:

mask-induced hypoxia

Another idiot.

Consider this, maybe your simple mind can grasp the details,
I know it's complicated for you.

The mask holds around a cubic inch of exhaled air.
Your lungs push pull about 250 cubic inches of air with each breath.

Gee, simple isn't it?

Probably not for you though.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/23/2020 05:59 AM, Dan Espen wrote:
Alexandria Omar-Whitmer writes:

mask-induced hypoxia

Another idiot.

Consider this, maybe your simple mind can grasp the details,
I know it's complicated for you.

The mask holds around a cubic inch of exhaled air.
Your lungs push pull about 250 cubic inches of air with each breath.

Gee, simple isn't it?

Probably not for you though.

You do know the normal tidal volume for an adult is 500 ml, don't you?
You do know 1 liter is 61.02 cubic inches, don't you?
You do know 61 time .5 is 30.5, don't you?
Another ****ing fact challenged idiot spouts off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/2020 5:41 PM, Dogma wrote:

wrote:
On 8/22/20 5:14 PM, Dogma wrote:
[...]

Around here, I note that swapping for refilled propane tanks at Walmart
is even cheaper than getting the old tank refilled.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 8/22/20 5:14 PM, Dogma wrote:
[...]

Just bear in mind a Blue Rhino only has 15 pounds of gas in it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jen Jen is offline

replying to Dogma, Jen wrote:
From where I have read, Butane tanks do have expiry date (not butane) and when
I purchased, they did say it lasts for 5 to 10 years post you open it. And at
per your usage the expiry depends. If your cartridges are working just fine -
it doesn't have any rust or do not seal the valve, then you can use it till
whenever that happens.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...n-1227928-.htm