Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default portable butane tank expiration

On 08/22/2020 03:34 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 17:25:54 -0400, posted for all of us
to digest...

On 8/22/20 5:14 PM, Dogma wrote:
While trying to get two portable butane tanks filled at a different
place than I usually do, the employee was looking intently at the tanks.
I asked him, what are you doing? He was looking for the manufacture date
on the tanks. One was four years out of date and couldn't be filled, the
other will be out of date in four years. According to him portable
butane tanks only have a life of 12 years before they have to be
replaced. They're a 20# and a 40# tanks, not the little ones for
lanterns and portable stoves.

He was going to fill that one tank and I told him to hell with that,
I'll just take them where I usually go, they never check the date there,
and they didn't, when I took them to my regular place.

Who knew they're only good for 12 years? That seems ridiculous to me. I
didn't want to ask at the place I usually go to, in case they didn't
want to fill them. My tanks are fairly new looking.

Actually it is 5 or 10 years, depending.

See
https://www.phmsa.dot.gov/sites/phms...pane_en_v3.pdf

"Propane cylinders must be requalified or replaced every 5 or 10 years
depending on the cylinder type, condition, and previous requalification
method. (Ref. 49 CFR § 180.205(d) and 180.209(e).)"

I believe he was citing *butane* tanks.

True, which made me curious. I'm not sure anyone refills butane tanks
around here although there are plenty of propane options. Butane has
some advantages but I don't think convenience is one of them.