Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Passport expiration

This morning discovered my passport expires in September. One more thing
for me to forget to do. Next time I travel, likely Mexico (I'm on the
border), I'll not be able to re-enter the US because my passport is no
longer good. I'll have to spend eternity, or the rest of my life, whichever
comers first, in Mexico! And I can't speak Spanish!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 11:30:26 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
This morning discovered my passport expires in September. One more thing
for me to forget to do. Next time I travel, likely Mexico (I'm on the
border), I'll not be able to re-enter the US because my passport is no
longer good. I'll have to spend eternity, or the rest of my life, whichever
comers first, in Mexico! And I can't speak Spanish!

Another option is to renew your passport before you go. Just sayin'
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/9/2016 11:30 AM, KenK wrote:
This morning discovered my passport expires in September. One more thing
for me to forget to do. Next time I travel, likely Mexico (I'm on the
border), I'll not be able to re-enter the US because my passport is no
longer good. I'll have to spend eternity, or the rest of my life, whichever
comers first, in Mexico! And I can't speak Spanish!

Mines about to expire too. Not going anywhere but like to have it.

If your state issues the new secure drivers license it may be as
acceptable as a passport.

https://www.dhs.gov/enhanced-drivers...-what-are-they

Wife and I got them at our last drivers license renewal (DE). Required
a lot of ID. PITA for women as if they have adapted a married name they
need proof of marriage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/9/2016 9:30 AM, KenK wrote:
This morning discovered my passport expires in September. One more thing
for me to forget to do. Next time I travel, likely Mexico (I'm on the
border), I'll not be able to re-enter the US because my passport is no
longer good. I'll have to spend eternity, or the rest of my life, whichever
comers first, in Mexico! And I can't speak Spanish!

FWIW, I think a driver's license can get you across -- depending on
the mood of the border guards. OTOH, if you look hispanic...

I check mine every New Year's (for want of a better time). So,
I've known this was the year for yet-another-mugshot...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 2:27:38 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On 3/9/2016 11:30 AM, KenK wrote:
This morning discovered my passport expires in September. One more thing
for me to forget to do. Next time I travel, likely Mexico (I'm on the
border), I'll not be able to re-enter the US because my passport is no
longer good. I'll have to spend eternity, or the rest of my life, whichever
comers first, in Mexico! And I can't speak Spanish!

Mines about to expire too. Not going anywhere but like to have it.

If your state issues the new secure drivers license it may be as
acceptable as a passport.

https://www.dhs.gov/enhanced-drivers...-what-are-they

Wife and I got them at our last drivers license renewal (DE). Required
a lot of ID. PITA for women as if they have adapted a married name they
need proof of marriage.

How hard is that? I've got my marriage certificate in
my filing cabinet. Also the marriage certificate and
divorce decree from my first marriage.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/9/2016 11:30 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

Many people don't keep "vital documents" in a convenient place.

MD was surprised that I could tell him which childhood vaccinations
I'd had -- along with the DATES of each -- by putting him on hold
for 45 seconds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message
This morning discovered my passport expires in September. One more thing
for me to forget to do. Next time I travel, likely Mexico (I'm on the
border), I'll not be able to re-enter the US because my passport is no
longer good. I'll have to spend eternity, or the rest of my life,
whichever
comers first, in Mexico! And I can't speak Spanish!

Check the regulations, some countries allow citizens to return on an expired
passport up to 6 months before the "best before date", US may be the same.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 14:27:31 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

Mines about to expire too. Not going anywhere but like to have it.

If your state issues the new secure drivers license it may be as
acceptable as a passport.

Sore subject with me. Tried this week for a Real ID license. (forgot
to take a W-2 - don't get pay stubs anymore). They wanted a SS Card.
Haven't seen mine in 30 years. Gave them 4 military documents with my
SS# but they would not accept them as proof of my SS#. I'm still mad
about them not taking the military records as fact. A SS Card states
it is not to be used for identification. Even had my birth certificate
with tiny foot prints on it Nevada DMV is a sorry operation for a
state with only 2.8 million residents. I have a new DL in the mail,
but they will put a Veteran designation on it.

https://www.dhs.gov/enhanced-drivers...-what-are-they

Wife and I got them at our last drivers license renewal (DE). Required
a lot of ID. PITA for women as if they have adapted a married name they
need proof of marriage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
This morning discovered my passport expires in September. One more
thing for me to forget to do. Next time I travel, likely Mexico (I'm
on the border), I'll not be able to re-enter the US because my
passport is no longer good. I'll have to spend eternity, or the rest
of my life, whichever comers first, in Mexico! And I can't speak
Spanish!

Es facil de aprender (it's easy to learn). Repita (repeat): cervesa, por
favor (beer, please)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/9/2016 2:45 PM, Don Y wrote:
longer good. I'll have to spend eternity, or the rest of my life,
whichever
comers first, in Mexico! And I can't speak Spanish!

FWIW, I think a driver's license can get you across -- depending on
the mood of the border guards. OTOH, if you look hispanic...

I check mine every New Year's (for want of a better time). So,
I've known this was the year for yet-another-mugshot...

If you look hispanic, they try to sign you up
for food stamps, and SSD? Voter registration
card with a list of Democrat candidates?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/9/2016 1:27 PM, Frank wrote:
On 3/9/2016 11:30 AM, KenK wrote:
This morning discovered my passport expires in September. One more thing
for me to forget to do. Next time I travel, likely Mexico (I'm on the
border), I'll not be able to re-enter the US because my passport is no
longer good. I'll have to spend eternity, or the rest of my life,
whichever
comers first, in Mexico! And I can't speak Spanish!

Mines about to expire too. Not going anywhere but like to have it.

If your state issues the new secure drivers license it may be as
acceptable as a passport.

https://www.dhs.gov/enhanced-drivers...-what-are-they

Wife and I got them at our last drivers license renewal (DE). Required
a lot of ID. PITA for women as if they have adapted a married name they
need proof of marriage.

Yep, I'm getting one of those enhanced licenses this year. Minnesota is
one of those liberal states who thought they were above the government
ID mandate, so the current license will soon not be accepted at
airports, and other places, as proper ID.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/9/2016 11:30 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

Women need those extra papers. My wife keeps important stuff in our
safe deposit box. Few weeks ago I traded in my old car for a new one.
Did this on a Saturday but bank was closed for weekend and Monday
holiday. Just extra work to do.

I see from Oren's response that he had trouble.
We had no trouble but probably took in more than we needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 14:55:53 -0600, SeaNymph
wrote:

Yep, I'm getting one of those enhanced licenses this year. Minnesota is
one of those liberal states who thought they were above the government
ID mandate, so the current license will soon not be accepted at
airports, and other places, as proper ID.

Nevada has an extension until 2020 so a regular license still allows
you to travel by air. My advice is to visit state DMV sites, see what
is needed and follow it to a tee. I mistakenly thought my military
records (4) was good enough for proof of my SS#, but the state thought
it wasn't. (I'm still steaming). Never write letters while you are
mad :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/9/2016 11:30 AM, KenK wrote:
This morning discovered my passport expires in September. One more thing
for me to forget to do. Next time I travel, likely Mexico (I'm on the
border), I'll not be able to re-enter the US because my passport is no
longer good. I'll have to spend eternity, or the rest of my life, whichever
comers first, in Mexico! And I can't speak Spanish!

Spanish lessons down there would be cheaper than the renewal charges.
You can probably find a job at a tequila factory, maybe as a taster. Or
start a drug cartel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/9/2016 3:09 PM, EXT wrote:

Check the regulations, some countries allow citizens to return on an
expired passport up to 6 months before the "best before date", US may be
the same.

Some don't. A friend with 30 days left on her passport was not allowed
to board the plane to go to Italy for a week let alone worry about a
return.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yep, I'm getting one of those enhanced licenses this year. Minnesota is
one of those liberal states who thought they were above the government
ID mandate, so the current license will soon not be accepted at
airports, and other places, as proper ID.

Nevada has an extension until 2020 so a regular license still allows
you to travel by air. My advice is to visit state DMV sites, see what
is needed and follow it to a tee. I mistakenly thought my military
records (4) was good enough for proof of my SS#, but the state thought
it wasn't. (I'm still steaming). Never write letters while you are
mad :-)

Based on what I've read, the state of Minnesota got slapped down in
their request for an extension because they ignored the whole thing
until the deadline was up.

I'm just going to take everything, based on the information I got from
the DMV. So ridiculous. You can use this for 2 things, but not for
this thing, you have to have this thing but that's all it can be used
for.......and on and on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Similar thing going on in Ontario, Canada concerning our health care
cards, my wife was forced to get hers replaced, the ID requirements are
rather picky. I am expecting my notice any time soon. I have a friend
that works in health care she said we are all being forced to get the
new cards. Bit of aggravation for mostly free medical care isn't a big
deal though in my opinion. :-)

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yep. My DD-214 was needed to show Honorable Discharge to get the
Veteran designation on the new licence, The same document with my SS#
is not good enough (and 3 others) to prove my SS#. Even my original
military ID with the number was not acceptable. Spit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/9/2016 5:53 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
rather picky. I am expecting my notice any time soon. I have a friend
that works in health care she said we are all being forced to get the
new cards. Bit of aggravation for mostly free medical care isn't a big
deal though in my opinion. :-)

All those doctors work for free in Canada?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-03-09 6:21 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/9/2016 5:53 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
rather picky. I am expecting my notice any time soon. I have a friend
that works in health care she said we are all being forced to get the
new cards. Bit of aggravation for mostly free medical care isn't a big
deal though in my opinion. :-)

All those doctors work for free in Canada?

No, they bill the government at standardized rates depending on the
procedure.

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/09/2016 09:30 AM, KenK wrote:
This morning discovered my passport expires in September. One more thing
for me to forget to do. Next time I travel, likely Mexico (I'm on the
border), I'll not be able to re-enter the US because my passport is no
longer good. I'll have to spend eternity, or the rest of my life, whichever
comers first, in Mexico! And I can't speak Spanish!

Learn all the conjugations of chingar and you'll be okay.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/9/2016 11:30 AM, KenK wrote:
This morning discovered my passport expires in September. One more thing
for me to forget to do. Next time I travel, likely Mexico (I'm on the
border), I'll not be able to re-enter the US because my passport is no
longer good. I'll have to spend eternity, or the rest of my life, whichever
comers first, in Mexico! And I can't speak Spanish!

I can relate. I'm right on the border of Canada and I don't speak Canadian.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/9/2016 11:30 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

I have my documentation from the mental hospital. I wonder if that would work? O_o

Many years ago when George Wallace was making a political speech, he held up some papers then said,"I'm not crazy, I've got the papers from the mental hospital right here to prove it." ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Mental Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/9/2016 11:30 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

I've been scanning documents into a file stored locally on my computer and also to my Google Drive. The last time I went to see my doctor before winding up in the hospital then the center, I handed her a thumb drive with all the medical information I had. She took it to a workstation and printed out my medication list so we could discuss it. I was tempted to put everything on my 10" tablet and hand that to doctors when they ask for information. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Data Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 2:19:48 PM UTC-6, Oren wrote:
[...]

I haven't seen my Social Security card in years either. It was the original I received as a teen. I was walking through the courthouse at the time when I saw a laminating machine. It was 25 cents to laminate my SS card between two strips of wide thin clear tape. It kept my card from becoming tattered and damaged by moisture over the years. At home, I have my own heated laminating machine I bought several years ago that uses fairly thick plastic sheet to cover documents as wide as 9 inches. I use it for insurance cards, vehicle tag receipts and other documents I need to keep in my vehicle. My friends found out I had a lamination machine so...... ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FM76BK

[8~{} Uncle Plastic Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 2:55:57 PM UTC-6, SeaNymph wrote:
On 3/9/2016 1:27 PM, Frank wrote:
On 3/9/2016 11:30 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

That's one of those ways the feds extort states into doing those things the feds want. The federal ID card idea has been around for quite a while. First it was floated years ago as a way to combat illegal immigration. When that didn't work, the hysteria of the citizenry demanding that the government do something about terrorism revived the concept of the Imperial Federal Government citizen ID card. If a government can find you and identify you, it can control you. Our government can't seem to do anything about illegal immigrants because it can't find them but it can easily frak with us citizens. We have become subjects of The Imperial Federal Government and we accepted it without a fight. Bend over, mandatory body cavity searches are coming to a TSA roadblock on the streets of your city. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Citizen Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yep, I'm getting one of those enhanced licenses this year. Minnesota is
one of those liberal states who thought they were above the government
ID mandate, so the current license will soon not be accepted at
airports, and other places, as proper ID.

Nevada has an extension until 2020 so a regular license still allows
you to travel by air. My advice is to visit state DMV sites, see what
is needed and follow it to a tee. I mistakenly thought my military
records (4) was good enough for proof of my SS#, but the state thought
it wasn't. (I'm still steaming). Never write letters while you are
mad :-)

Roll over, get up, OK now fetch! Good boy! Your a good boy Orin. Here's a treat. Ready? Lets go again boy! Your training is going great. Soon you'll be a well trained subject. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Training Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

A motor vehicle operator's permit (Drivers License) is authorization for operating a motor vehicle on public roads. At least that's what it's supposed to be for. It's been hijacked by The Imperial Federal Government as a way to control its subjects. For those with a belief in The Bible, it's basically become "The Mark Of The Beast". It's something everyone should ponder and wonder what will be heaped upon us next. o_O

[8~{} Uncle ID Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

DE will still issue a non-compliant license if you don't have all the
papers required for federal compliance or don't want it.

Selective enforcement of this crap has us all annoyed. The same people
that want your full identity want to allow people to vote without proof
of citizenship.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/10/2016 05:29 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
A motor vehicle operator's permit (Drivers License) is authorization for operating a motor vehicle on public roads. At least that's what it's supposed to be for. It's been hijacked by The Imperial Federal Government as a way to control its subjects. For those with a belief in The Bible, it's basically become "The Mark Of The Beast". It's something everyone should ponder and wonder what will be heaped upon us next. o_O

It's illegal in this state for any state official to try to implement
RealID, and that law was signed by a Democratic governor. They just
added so stuff to the DL and went to great pains to point out that is
still isn't federally compliant and won't be anytime soon.

Some states asked for a waiver but Montana never did. The feds gave us a
waiver just to save face.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/9/2016 3:19 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 14:27:31 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

Mines about to expire too. Not going anywhere but like to have
it.

If your state issues the new secure drivers license it may be as
acceptable as a passport.

Sore subject with me. Tried this week for a Real ID license. (forgot
to take a W-2 - don't get pay stubs anymore). They wanted a SS Card.
Haven't seen mine in 30 years.

[snip]

Will they take any 1099s from your copy of last year's income tax
return? Those have your name, mailing address, and many still have a
full ssn printed on them (although many now only print the last 4 digits).

Also, go to www.socialsecurity.gov - register on the site - apply
for a replacement card.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yep, I'm getting one of those enhanced licenses this year. Minnesota is
one of those liberal states who thought they were above the government
ID mandate, so the current license will soon not be accepted at
airports, and other places, as proper ID.

Nevada has an extension until 2020 so a regular license still allows
you to travel by air. My advice is to visit state DMV sites, see what
is needed and follow it to a tee. I mistakenly thought my military
records (4) was good enough for proof of my SS#, but the state thought
it wasn't. (I'm still steaming). Never write letters while you are
mad :-)

Roll over, get up, OK now fetch! Good boy! Your a good boy Orin. Here's a treat. Ready? Lets go again boy! Your training is going great. Soon you'll be a well trained subject. o_O

I've been watching a show called "Lucky Dog", and they say every dog
should be tested on the basic commands: sit, stay, down, come, off,
heel, and no. Then there's specialty training, but I think that's
probably too advanced.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/10/2016 6:29 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

A motor vehicle operator's permit (Drivers License) is authorization
for operating a motor vehicle on public roads. At least that's what it's
supposed to be for. It's been hijacked by The Imperial Federal Government
as a way to control its subjects. For those with a belief in The Bible,
it's basically become "The Mark Of The Beast". It's something everyone
should ponder and wonder what will be heaped upon us next. o_O

I always thought the individual implanted identity chip would be more
along the lines of what the mark of the best would entail. Possibly
even a bar code tatoo on a persons wrist.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/10/2016 2:06 PM, Muggles wrote:

I've been watching a show called "Lucky Dog", and they say every dog
should be tested on the basic commands: sit, stay, down, come, off,
heel, and no. Then there's specialty training, but I think that's
probably too advanced.

Easy to do for dogs, now try it for kids. Impossible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yep, I'm getting one of those enhanced licenses this year. Minnesota is
one of those liberal states who thought they were above the government
ID mandate, so the current license will soon not be accepted at
airports, and other places, as proper ID.

Nevada has an extension until 2020 so a regular license still allows
you to travel by air. My advice is to visit state DMV sites, see what
is needed and follow it to a tee. I mistakenly thought my military
records (4) was good enough for proof of my SS#, but the state thought
it wasn't. (I'm still steaming). Never write letters while you are
mad :-)

Roll over, get up, OK now fetch! Good boy! Your a good boy Orin. Here's a treat. Ready? Lets go again boy! Your training is going great. Soon you'll be a well trained subject. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Training Monster

My wife can't break me. She found the perfect man to marry and has
spent 30 years trying to change me. You expect me to comply with the
government. Not today

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 11:30:26 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
This morning discovered my passport expires in September. One more thing
for me to forget to do. Next time I travel, likely Mexico (I'm on the
border), I'll not be able to re-enter the US because my passport is no
longer good. I'll have to spend eternity, or the rest of my life, whichever
comers first, in Mexico! And I can't speak Spanish!

They last 10 years and then you have to have it renewed for about $85.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/10/2016 05:27 PM, Frank wrote:
They last 10 years and then you have to have it renewed for about $85.

You can get a sort of Passport Lite that's good for Canada. I'm not sure
about Mexico.
Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote in news:dkf14vF9uclU4
@mid.individual.net:

On 03/10/2016 05:27 PM, Frank wrote:
They last 10 years and then you have to have it renewed for about $85.

You can get a sort of Passport Lite that's good for Canada. I'm not

sure
about Mexico.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. $85 for a 10-year passport to Mexico
is pretty expensive. It wasn't that long ago when all you needed was a
driver's license.

I'll have to look on Google. Not sure of what to search for. Maybe

'mexico only passport'

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote in
:

rbowman wrote in news:dkf14vF9uclU4
@mid.individual.net:

On 03/10/2016 05:27 PM, Frank wrote:
They last 10 years and then you have to have it renewed for about
$85.

You can get a sort of Passport Lite that's good for Canada. I'm not

sure
about Mexico.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. $85 for a 10-year passport to
Mexico is pretty expensive. It wasn't that long ago when all you
needed was a driver's license.

I'll have to look on Google. Not sure of what to search for. Maybe

'mexico only passport'

Evidently it's $110 now! A passcard gets you into Mexico (and other
places) at $30 but uou need a passport book to get the card - $140.
sigh

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/11/2016 12:47 PM, KenK wrote:
KenK wrote in
:

rbowman wrote in news:dkf14vF9uclU4
@mid.individual.net:

On 03/10/2016 05:27 PM, Frank wrote:
They last 10 years and then you have to have it renewed for about
$85.

You can get a sort of Passport Lite that's good for Canada. I'm not

sure
about Mexico.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. $85 for a 10-year passport to
Mexico is pretty expensive. It wasn't that long ago when all you
needed was a driver's license.

I'll have to look on Google. Not sure of what to search for. Maybe

'mexico only passport'

Evidently it's $110 now! A passcard gets you into Mexico (and other
places) at $30 but uou need a passport book to get the card - $140.
sigh

Nope 10 years, $55
https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...tion/card.html

Adults (Age 16 and Older)

Validity: 10 years

First-Time Applicant Cost: $55

Previous Passport Holder Cost: $30

If you are interested in applying for a U.S. passport card but you have
never had a U.S. passport book or are not eligible to use Form DS-82,
you must apply in person using Form DS-11.