Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New York AG sues NRA, seeks to dissolve

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 17:58:26 -0500, Jim Joyce
wrote:

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 00:41:13 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 09 Aug 2020 21:56:42 -0500, Jim Joyce
wrote:

On Sun, 09 Aug 2020 15:20:49 -0400,
wrote:

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 06:16:12 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Saturday, August 8, 2020 at 1:49:33 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 10:22:31 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/8/2020 2:00 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 08/07/2020 08:51 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/7/2020 8:45 PM, Bob F wrote:
On 8/7/2020 4:43 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 11:49:13 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 8/7/2020 11:26 AM, Frank wrote:
On 8/7/2020 2:16 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:

"Jim Joyce" wrote in message

This is freaking fantastic, but to be honest a bit of a long shot.
The New
York Attorney General has sued the NRA, alleging vast ongoing
fraud, and
seeks to dissolve the organization.

Dissolution might be a bit of a long shot, but this is the same AG
office
that sued the Trump University and the Trump charity, forcing
both of
those
organizations to shut down. So she has some experience here.

Trump responded to the news by suggesting that the NRA simply close
up shop
in NY and move their operation to Texas. That's not possible, of
course. If
it were that easy to avoid or evade this type of lawsuit, Trump
would
have
moved his fake University and his fake charity, rather than
paying fines
and shutting down.

This is a story to watch.

Their goal is to remove the Second Amendment from the
costitution! The 2nd 'protects' the right to keep and bear
arms, not 'grant' the right to keep and bear arms! These
people in favor of eliminating it are traitors to the constitution!

The NRA was incorporated in New York.Â* They could easily transfer
this
to another state and take their corporate taxes there, if there are
any
since it is a non-profit.

I'm an NRA lifer and urge others to join the NRA to put this kind of
crap to rest.Â* Any gun owner should be a member, if he wants to
keep his
guns.

Nice of you to pay for numerous private jet trips to the tropics for
Wayne Lapierre and his family. Millions spent. I am sure your
"friends"
appreciate their chance to help his vacations too.

NRA is quite the "charity".

I don't want to shock you scooter but most charities have stories like
this.

I guess this AG is going to have plenty of work. I'm glad she is on it.

If the NRA is doing shady stuff, good for her.Â* Getting rid of the NRA
does not change the 2nd amendment.

without the NRA do you think the interpretation of the 2nd Amendment
wouldn't have changed?

Perhaps, but that does not give the NRA to abuse funds if that is the
case. If I was an NRA member I may want it investigated to see where my
does money is being spent.

That is a separate issue than whether they should be disbanded.
Calling attention to it and getting La Pierre fired is not the same as
disbanding the organization.

The NRA members should have done that, years ago. Obviously they don't
care what's really going on.

If someone was stealing from United Way, would we disband United Way?

This clearly is political. NY govt was already attacking the NRA
several years ago. In that case, because they hate the NRA, they
used state bank regulators to threaten banks operating in NY that
do business with the NRA to try to get them to cut off doing business
with the NRA. That was corrupt, an abuse of govt, those officials
should have been removed.

Seems to me while this could be a big inconvenience for the NRA, it
doesn't mean that they would be really dissolved. They would only
be dissolved in NY state and could immediately resume operations
in another gun friendly state. I suppose given the attitude of NY
though, they may choose to pull some more dirty shystering tricks,
like claiming the NRA list of members has to say with the NY
dictators. But even that would not be the end of the NRA. This
probably is helping them more than hurting them. And helping move
some votes to Trump too, it was really, really dumb move, IMO.

I suspect they need some presence in NY to have standing in their law
suits. I do find it strange that they allege fraud against a
corporation but they are not prosecuting that fraud, they are just
trying to kill the corporation.

No, the AG is prosecuting the fraud. Dissolution could be one of the
possible outcomes, but it seems unlikely, doesn't it? It seems more likely
to me that, even if the AG is successful, there might only be some fines
involved, or perhaps the NRA's tax-exempt status could be revoked.

Fraud is a crime. If she can make that case why didn't she?

It sounds to me like that is exactly the case that she's making. This is
from her office's press release:

"In the complaint, Attorney General James lays out dozens of examples where
the four individual defendants failed to fulfill their fiduciary duty to
the NRA and used millions upon millions from NRA reserves for personal use,
including trips for them and their families to the Bahamas, private jets,
expensive meals, and other private travel. In addition to shuttering the
NRAs doors, Attorney General James seeks to recoup millions in lost assets
and to stop the four individual defendants from serving on the board of any
not-for-profit charitable organization in the state of New York again."

Sounds like fraud to me, but I suppose there could be other terms that
better describe it.

If she had a case for fraud this would be in criminal court, not civil
court.

That would be like finding out the CFO
of Chase was padding his expense account so they try to kill off
Chase.

I don't see how it's anything like that.

I am sure you don't because the NRA really ****es you off and you
don't care whether this is fair or not.

Why in the **** do you care what happened to the money anyway? You
never gave them any.

So illegal activity of any kind is fine with you as long as you aren't
directly affected by it? That's an interesting position.

If this is illegal activity indict them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Saturday, August 8, 2020 at 1:49:33 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 10:22:31 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/8/2020 2:00 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 08/07/2020 08:51 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/7/2020 8:45 PM, Bob F wrote:

"Jim Joyce" wrote in message

[...]

The NRA was incorporated in New York.* They could easily transfer
this
to another state and take their corporate taxes there, if there are
any
since it is a non-profit.

I'm an NRA lifer and urge others to join the NRA to put this kind of
crap to rest.* Any gun owner should be a member, if he wants to
keep his
guns.

Nice of you to pay for numerous private jet trips to the tropics for
Wayne Lapierre and his family. Millions spent. I am sure your
"friends"
appreciate their chance to help his vacations too.

NRA is quite the "charity".

I don't want to shock you scooter but most charities have stories like
this.

I guess this AG is going to have plenty of work. I'm glad she is on it.

If the NRA is doing shady stuff, good for her.* Getting rid of the NRA
[...]

Thanks for the heads up. I suppose someone should let her know.

New York AG sues NRA, seeks to dissolve [email protected] Home Repair 2 August 11th 20 08:06 PM
What is dissolve mean??? param UK diy 32 September 7th 05 06:33 PM
best chemical to dissolve aluminum? williamhenry Metalworking 8 February 17th 05 05:48 AM
dishwasher - soap doesn't dissolve KD Home Repair 8 January 18th 05 04:50 AM