Old August 3rd 20, 01:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Sid Sid is offline

Default NIMA 14-50

Can a NIMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Would that meet code ?
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Old August 3rd 20, 01:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2020 8:30 PM, Sid wrote:
Can a NIMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Would that meet code ?
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Ask your insurance company.

When they find that mess after the fire, they prolly won't pay the claim.* Hehehe!

Old August 3rd 20, 01:49 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/20 7:30 PM, Sid wrote:
Can a NIMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?

Not properly.
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Not legal.
Would that meet code ?
No.
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Redo it with wire sized for the maximum amperage of the
receptacle which is 50 amps.
The one at Amazon is rated for 50 amps. Amazon says the outlet can
use 4,6, and 8 copper wire.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

#10 is good for 30A and should be fused as such. Doubling up for more

is a hack job. Never put more than one wire under a screw.. Do it
right. Houses burn down from hack jobs.

If I found one wired like that in my house I would disconnect it.
Old August 3rd 20, 02:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 17:30:06 -0700 (PDT), Sid
wrote:

Can a NIMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Would that meet code ?
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Short answer no, on a couple of different counts.

Old September 13th 20, 03:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 7:30:11 PM UTC-5, Sid wrote:
Can a NEMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Would that meet code ?
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Found a professional electrician to pull conduit and wire up 50 amp receptacle in garage. He stated that we needed #6 wire for the two mains, but that #10 wire could be used for the ground. All could be pulled in 1/2" conduit, but the conduit would be full and any additional wires would be overfill.

Not knowing the electrical code, Is this correct ?
Do you guys agree ?

Thanks

Old September 13th 20, 05:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 7:30:11 PM UTC-5, Sid wrote:
Can a NIMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Would that meet code ?
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

He said that 3/4" would be too hard to get around the corner ?
Old September 13th 20, 05:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/13/20 9:41 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 7:30:11 PM UTC-5, Sid wrote:
Can a NEMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Would that meet code ?
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Found a professional electrician to pull conduit and wire up 50 amp receptacle in garage. He stated that we needed #6 wire for the two mains, but that #10 wire could be used for the ground. All could be pulled in 1/2" conduit, but the conduit would be full and any additional wires would be overfill.

Not knowing the electrical code, Is this correct ?
Do you guys agree ?

Thanks

The pictures I've found show that as a 4 wire receptacle. I'm
thinking you need 4 wires, not three. A rule of thumb is the neutral
can be one size smaller than the two incoming hot wires which would put
it at #4. So 2 #6, 1 #4, and 1 #10.
http://conduitfillcalculator.com NO on the #10. See below.
The equipment ground wire sizing depends on the overcurrent device
used. (Circuit breaker or fuses) He's apparently going to use a 60
amp breaker.
BUT., the outlets I've found specify 4,6, and 8 awg so he isn't
supposed to use the #10.
Here's a calculator.
http://wiresizecalculator.net/calculators/groundconductor.htm
Wire fill isn't supposed to exceed 40% of the conduit area. 3/4"
won't quite cut it. Anyhow, I think 1" is what you should use. Wire
sizing should be 2 #6, 1 #4, and 1 # 8.
I'm curious what Fretwell has to say.