Posted to alt.home.repair
Sid Sid is offline

Default NIMA 14-50

Can a NIMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Would that meet code ?
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2020 8:30 PM, Sid wrote:
Can a NIMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Would that meet code ?
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Ask your insurance company.

When they find that mess after the fire, they prolly won't pay the claim.Â* Hehehe!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/20 7:30 PM, Sid wrote:
Can a NIMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?

Not properly.
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Not legal.
Would that meet code ?
No.
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Redo it with wire sized for the maximum amperage of the
receptacle which is 50 amps.
The one at Amazon is rated for 50 amps. Amazon says the outlet can
use 4,6, and 8 copper wire.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

#10 is good for 30A and should be fused as such. Doubling up for more

is a hack job. Never put more than one wire under a screw.. Do it
right. Houses burn down from hack jobs.

If I found one wired like that in my house I would disconnect it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 17:30:06 -0700 (PDT), Sid
wrote:

Can a NIMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Would that meet code ?
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Short answer no, on a couple of different counts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 7:30:11 PM UTC-5, Sid wrote:
Can a NEMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Would that meet code ?
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Found a professional electrician to pull conduit and wire up 50 amp receptacle in garage. He stated that we needed #6 wire for the two mains, but that #10 wire could be used for the ground. All could be pulled in 1/2" conduit, but the conduit would be full and any additional wires would be overfill.

Not knowing the electrical code, Is this correct ?
Do you guys agree ?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 7:30:11 PM UTC-5, Sid wrote:
Can a NIMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Would that meet code ?
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

He said that 3/4" would be too hard to get around the corner ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/13/20 9:41 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 7:30:11 PM UTC-5, Sid wrote:
Can a NEMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Would that meet code ?
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Found a professional electrician to pull conduit and wire up 50 amp receptacle in garage. He stated that we needed #6 wire for the two mains, but that #10 wire could be used for the ground. All could be pulled in 1/2" conduit, but the conduit would be full and any additional wires would be overfill.

Not knowing the electrical code, Is this correct ?
Do you guys agree ?

Thanks

The pictures I've found show that as a 4 wire receptacle. I'm
thinking you need 4 wires, not three. A rule of thumb is the neutral
can be one size smaller than the two incoming hot wires which would put
it at #4. So 2 #6, 1 #4, and 1 #10.
http://conduitfillcalculator.com NO on the #10. See below.
The equipment ground wire sizing depends on the overcurrent device
used. (Circuit breaker or fuses) He's apparently going to use a 60
amp breaker.
BUT., the outlets I've found specify 4,6, and 8 awg so he isn't
supposed to use the #10.
Here's a calculator.
http://wiresizecalculator.net/calculators/groundconductor.htm
Wire fill isn't supposed to exceed 40% of the conduit area. 3/4"
won't quite cut it. Anyhow, I think 1" is what you should use. Wire
sizing should be 2 #6, 1 #4, and 1 # 8.
I'm curious what Fretwell has to say.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/13/20 11:38 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 9/13/20 9:41 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 7:30:11 PM UTC-5, Sid wrote:
Can a NEMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Would that meet code ?
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Found a professional electrician to pull conduit and wire up 50 amp
receptacle in garage.Â* He stated that we needed #6 wire for the two
mains, but that #10 wire could be used for the ground.Â* All could be
pulled in 1/2" conduit, but the conduit would be full and any
additional wires would be overfill.

Not knowing the electrical code, Is this correct ?
Do you guys agree ?

Thanks

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* The pictures I've found show that as a 4 wire receptacle.Â* I'm
thinking you need 4 wires, not three.Â*Â* AÂ* rule of thumb is the neutral
can be one size smaller than the two incoming hot wires which would put
it at #4.Â* So 2 #6, 1 #4, and 1 #10.

OOPS. #8 is the first size smaller then #6.

http://conduitfillcalculator.comÂ*Â* NO on the #10.Â* See below.
Â*Â* The equipment ground wire sizing depends on the overcurrent device
used.Â*Â*Â* (Circuit breaker or fuses)Â* He's apparently going to use a 60
amp breaker.
BUT.,Â* the outlets I've found specify 4,6, and 8 awg so he isn't
supposed to use the #10.
Here's a calculator.
http://wiresizecalculator.net/calculators/groundconductor.htm
Â* Wire fill isn't supposed to exceed 40% of the conduit area.Â*Â* 3/4"
won't quite cut it.Â* Anyhow,Â* I think 1" is what you should use.Â* Wire
sizing should be 2 #6, 1 #4, and 1 # 8.
Â* I'm curious what Fretwell has to say.

I messed up. It should be 2 #6, and 2 #8. So 3/4" EMT
conduit would work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 7:30:11 PM UTC-5, Sid wrote:
Can a NIMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Would that meet code ?
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

If you read the recommendations on the Tesla site they recommend 3/4" conduit and #6 wires.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default NEMA 14-50

In Dean Hoffman writes:

Code would let you down size the neutral and equipment ground a
little. There's sure nothing wrong with making them bigger. 3/4" EMT
would be big enough according to the first site I mentioned. Conduit
fill would be just over 38%. Up to 40% is allowable.

I'm afraid I don't have a copy of latest NEC at my Pandemic
Safety and Secret Location, so can't double check.

However, my recollection is that while a smaller neutral
had been ok, this was revised a couple of years ago
(which could easily be a decade by now..) so that all
three wires (the two hot legs and the neutral) had to
be the same size.

(Not sure about the safety ground).

As always, best to check with The Local Authority
Having Jurisdiction.

Best wishes to all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 11:38:42 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 9/13/20 9:41 AM, wrote:
[...]

You would need to show me a load calculation to downsize the neutral
but 250.122 lets you use a #10 cu ground on a 60a circuit. Typically
anything feeding a receptacle needs a full sized neutral because we
don't have a clue what the user might plug in. You can get three #6s
and a #10 (THHN/THWN) in 3/4" but I wouldn't want to pull it very far.
If you are going around a corner, I would suggest an LB conduit body
for an outside turn or an LL/LR for an inside corner. You can make the
turn tighter and it gives you another pull point.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/13/20 3:30 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 11:38:42 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 9/13/20 9:41 AM,
wrote:
[...]

Question. The receptacles I've found are sized for 4,6,and 8.
Doesn't that rule out #10 as the equipment ground?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 7:30:11 PM UTC-5, Sid wrote:
Can a NIMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Would that meet code ?
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

I thought the EMT was the ground and the receptacle required 3 #6 wires ?
(2 hots and a neutral ?)
This will be an inside corner and the run is not very far as the electrical panel is in the garage. Wall is not finished, but I requested the conduit be in the wall so when I do finish it, it will look nice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/13/20 8:18 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 7:30:11 PM UTC-5, Sid wrote:
Can a NIMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Would that meet code ?
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

I thought the EMT was the ground and the receptacle required 3 #6 wires ?
(2 hots and a neutral ?)
This will be an inside corner and the run is not very far as the electrical panel is in the garage. Wall is not finished, but I requested the conduit be in the wall so when I do finish it, it will look nice.

I used to work with three phase and four wires were mandatory
because of the nature of the work. We just got used to running four wires.
I'd want four wires if it was mine. Two hots, a neutral, and an
equipment ground. There would be only two connections for the
equipment ground.
EMT as the equipment ground would probably require a few connections
in the equipment ground. The connections are subject to expansion and
contraction due to
temperature changes. The equipment ground is there mainly for safety
reasons.
I went back to the first site to check conduit fill. Even three #6
would need 3/4" EMT.
Would flexible non metallic conduit be an option? Carflex is one
brand. You would have to run four wires. Four #6 would just stay under
40% conduit fill for 3/4". Your guy might be able to put the wire in
the conduit first then put the conduit in the wall.
Fretwell knows the code upside down so I'm again curious what he has
to say.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 7:30:11 PM UTC-5, Sid wrote:
Can a NIMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Would that meet code ?
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Contractor stated that the city code would not allow 'Romex' or Flex, that's why he did not want to run through the ceiling or use something other than EMT. 4 pieces of 1/2" was already purchased, but that can be returned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 16:08:24 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 9/13/20 3:30 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 11:38:42 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 9/13/20 9:41 AM,
wrote:
[...]

Dunno, the Leviton I am holding says #10 - #4 on the yoke.

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/50a%...ire%20size.JPG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Sep 2020 08:37:07 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 9/13/20 8:18 PM, wrote:
[...]

Greenfield (Flex metal) is also a possibility

Legally raceway systems are supposed to be installed empty, then you
pull the wire. I am not saying I have never seen feed as you go but it
isn't legal and it was on the line side of the service point so I
didn't have a say in it. (service laterals run by the FPL contractor).
OTOH I would really like to see someone pull wire through a carflex
elbow at anywhere near the conduit limit.

It is always easier to pull than push, particularly any raceway with
ridges inside like FMC but it does give you a lot of flexibility in
the installation. Is the OP in Chicago? That is one of the few places
that don't like non-metallic wiring methods.
Using EMT as the ground is legal but these days most inspectors want
compression connectors made up wrench tight. Flex generally can't be
used as the ground. The exception is AC cable but that has a bonding
strip inside. There is also an MC cable that uses a thick aluminum
bonding conductor inside. The intent is to eliminate the "choke"
effect of that coiled armor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 7:30:11 PM UTC-5, Sid wrote:
Can a NIMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Would that meet code ?
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Chicago: No, but I live in a suburb.
Don't know why he wanted to use the 1/2". Probably because it was already on site. I will suggest using 3/4" and see what he says.

I do know other people that have told me that Romex is approved in this area. May not be a great idea for wiring up a Tesla ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Sep 2020 13:23:43 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 7:30:11 PM UTC-5, Sid wrote:
Can a NIMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Would that meet code ?
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Chicago: No, but I live in a suburb.
Don't know why he wanted to use the 1/2". Probably because it was already on site. I will suggest using 3/4" and see what he says.

I do know other people that have told me that Romex is approved in this area. May not be a great idea for wiring up a Tesla ?

There is nothing wrong with Romex as long as you can protect it from
physical damage, like inside a wall. Most of the country uses it with
no problems. I do hear some of the burbs around Chicago have loosened
up their rules but electricians are slow to change.
The 1/2" is probably not going to work for you tho. This is a
continuous load (3 hours) so you want to err on the safe side when
you are sizing conductors. You certainly want to use #6 on the
ungrounded conductors and the inspector probably wants to see that on
the neutral although the neutral load is minimal on a vehicle charger
if present at all. I see a lot of people saying they are using a 6-50
or 10-50 receptacle for a Tesla. That is 2#6s and a 10. It still needs
a 3/4" pipe tho.
If you hold your nose, say the terminals are all rated 75c so you can
use that column, 2 #8s and a 10 fit in a 1/2". I am not sure what the
I2R losses would add up to over the years. It won't burn your house
down tho.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/20 7:30 PM, Sid wrote:
Can a NIMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Would that meet code ?
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Just playing devil's advocate. Is there something else you
might want 220 vac for close to that spot? Welder? What does a
charger for a battery lawn mower need? Something you'll wish for right
after that wall is closed?
There must be some kind of law about such things.
The I wish I woulda.....................................rule.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Sep 2020 19:40:47 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 8/2/20 7:30 PM, Sid wrote:
Can a NIMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Would that meet code ?
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Just playing devil's advocate. Is there something else you
might want 220 vac for close to that spot? Welder? What does a
charger for a battery lawn mower need? Something you'll wish for right
after that wall is closed?
There must be some kind of law about such things.
The I wish I woulda.....................................rule.

If it is a receptacle, you can plug anything in. That is why we like
full size conductors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 13, 2020 at 9:18:30 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 7:30:11 PM UTC-5, Sid wrote:
Can a NIMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Would that meet code ?
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

I thought the EMT was the ground and the receptacle required 3 #6 wires ?
(2 hots and a neutral ?)
This will be an inside corner and the run is not very far as the electrical panel is in the garage. Wall is not finished, but I requested the conduit be in the wall so when I do finish it, it will look nice.

EMT can be the ground, but for most residential work, at least around here, PVC
is typically used, for obvious reasons. For a short, easy run in the garage
EMT sounds fine. Pitty the Tesla crowd with a panel on the opposite side of
the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 7:30:11 PM UTC-5, Sid wrote:
Can a NIMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Would that meet code ?
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

I ask the contractor about using 3/4" conduit and he stated that the radius was too big to hide in the wall. He said he may use 3/4" but use a 1/2" piece to get around the corner.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 18:42:17 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 09/18/2020 10:26 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 7:30:11 PM UTC-5, Sid wrote:
Can a NIMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Would that meet code ?
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

I ask the contractor about using 3/4" conduit and he stated that the radius was too big to hide in the wall. He said he may use 3/4" but use a 1/2" piece to get around the corner.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-3-...4107/100136138

I'd find another contractor.

That works if you can get to the hole (outside corner) but it isn't
legal to bury it in the wall. If you never thought you would want to
pull the wire out, it isn't necessarily unsafe but just not legal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 13:16:26 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 9/18/2020 11:26 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 7:30:11 PM UTC-5, Sid wrote:
Can a NIMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Would that meet code ?
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

I ask the contractor about using 3/4" conduit and he stated that the radius was too big to hide in the wall. He said he may use 3/4" but use a 1/2" piece to get around the corner.

Call your local building inspector office and check that you can't just
run Romex...

Then you'll know if the contractor is just stuck in old Chicago or your
jurisdiction hasn't changed to match the times yet, either.

I'd guess odds are 50:50 it would meet your locality's code and
eliminate all the hassle.

Or, if it's so difficult a run to make a bend in the wall (and I can't
see why that should be so -- he might have to make a bigger hole to feed
one end through a joist if it won't fit in one 16" joist bay, but that
shouldn't be any big deal), just do the overhead to the joist cavity
that wants to hit and come in the top of the box and the elbow is above
or could use the pull box in the attic in Code as wouldn't be covered there.

But, going Romex is the smart thing to do -- check with your
municipality to find out what the pertinent Code really is.

Or "BX" if protection is rerquired?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/2020 11:26 AM, wrote:
[...]

The work was supposed to be done this wknd, but the contractor called on the day of and said he had a family emergency.
If we start having problems like that , I will look around for another contractor.

The corner is an inside corner. Here is a pic from Menards:
https://www.menards.com/main/electri...4430897073.htm

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/2020 11:26 AM, wrote:
[...]

Here is the HD link: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-3-...4607/100210850
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/2020 11:26 AM, wrote:
[...]

I got a text from my tenant on Friday stating the receptacle was in and working. Contractor stated that he only needed 2 #6 wires and use the conduit as a ground for the ground and neutral. Don't know I have not seen it yet. May end up ripping it out and re-doing it myself.

Any thoughts ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/2020 11:26 AM, wrote:
[...]

There's at least a possibility that the conduit will be routinely
carrying current. The elbow isn't threaded. That would make it easier
to get a bad connection.
I'd vote no. I'm curious what Fretwell has to say.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/11/20 1:52 AM, Eli Sidwell Iii wrote:
Contractor stated that he only needed 2 #6 wires and use the conduit as a ground for the ground and neutral.

Using the conduit as a neutral is dangerous.Â* I'd fire that clowntractor and do it right.