Posted to alt.home.repair

Default NIMA 14-50

On 9/13/20 8:18 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 7:30:11 PM UTC-5, Sid wrote:
Can a NIMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Would that meet code ?
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

I thought the EMT was the ground and the receptacle required 3 #6 wires ?
(2 hots and a neutral ?)
This will be an inside corner and the run is not very far as the electrical panel is in the garage. Wall is not finished, but I requested the conduit be in the wall so when I do finish it, it will look nice.

I used to work with three phase and four wires were mandatory
because of the nature of the work. We just got used to running four wires.
I'd want four wires if it was mine. Two hots, a neutral, and an
equipment ground. There would be only two connections for the
equipment ground.
EMT as the equipment ground would probably require a few connections
in the equipment ground. The connections are subject to expansion and
contraction due to
temperature changes. The equipment ground is there mainly for safety
reasons.
I went back to the first site to check conduit fill. Even three #6
would need 3/4" EMT.
Would flexible non metallic conduit be an option? Carflex is one
brand. You would have to run four wires. Four #6 would just stay under
40% conduit fill for 3/4". Your guy might be able to put the wire in
the conduit first then put the conduit in the wall.
Fretwell knows the code upside down so I'm again curious what he has
to say.