Old August 2nd 20, 10:56 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I add freon to a portable air conditioner?

Is this a dumb question:
(Asking for a friend lol)
1. You should know the weight of the new machine when fully charged from the specs.

If you suspect a leak can you weigh it and attribute the difference to the weight of the freon?

If it's the same weight then likely that's not the problem

Old August 2nd 20, 03:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 5:56:05 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Is this a dumb question:
(Asking for a friend lol)
1. You should know the weight of the new machine when fully charged from the specs.

If you suspect a leak can you weigh it and attribute the difference to the weight of the freon?

If it's the same weight then likely that's not the problem

I would expect the weight spec on a portable AC or similar is far from
accurate. And it's probably the shipping weight, including the packaging.
Even if it's supposed to be the actual item weight, I would not expect it to
be accurate, could easily be off by more than the small weight of the
refrigerant.

I'm no expert on these, but every AC I've been involved with has a low
pressure cutoff switch. Finding that and seeing if it's open is probably
one way to tell that it's likely a refrigerant leak. And if it is, then
what? If it's very small, like Fretwell suggested, you could recharge it
and get some period of time again, without repairing it. If it's a larger
leak, then it has to be fixed and if that leak is in say the coils, then
it's junk anyway. All things considered, the chance of success is not high
and a new one is typically $125. Also if it's a decade or more old, the
new one will save on electric cost.

Old August 4th 20, 02:38 AM posted to alt.home.repair

People keep saying a new one costs $125

In Canada, you'd do well to find new one for $350 USD after tax. The 12000 BtU I have made by LG is closer to $450 USD

Everything on it is perfect but it only gets cool, not cold.

Should it cost more than $150 to repair and recharge?
Old August 4th 20, 01:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 3, 2020 at 9:38:44 PM UTC-4, wrote:
People keep saying a new one costs $125

In Canada, you'd do well to find new one for $350 USD after tax. The 12000 BtU I have made by LG is closer to $450 USD

Everything on it is perfect but it only gets cool, not cold.

Should it cost more than $150 to repair and recharge?

Probably. Again, it depends on what's wrong. They never need to be recharged
unless they have a leak. If it's a leak, then you have two cases:

very small leak, so you can recharge it every year or two. But unless you
DIY, what's that going to cost?

bigger leak, so where is it leaking? If it's a coil, it's going to cost
so much it winds up junked.

How do you know it's a leak? Is the compressor shot?

How much are you prepared to spend to figure it out? If you fix this,
what about the rest of it compared to a new unit?

Surprised they are so much more expensive in Canada. I;ve seen them here
for as low as $99 for a 5K unit, though I haven't looked recently.
I would think for $125 - $150 there would be many choices here for sure.
Unless you can DIY, are willing to spend the time to try to diagnose it,
have or acquire the necessary tools, it's not a very attractive proposition
to repair them.
Old Yesterday, 04:23 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 05:09:54 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

I agree I see $99 units but that $139 one was the top hit on google.