Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default How do I add freon to a portable air conditioner?

On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 5:56:05 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Is this a dumb question:
(Asking for a friend lol)
1. You should know the weight of the new machine when fully charged from the specs.

If you suspect a leak can you weigh it and attribute the difference to the weight of the freon?

If it's the same weight then likely that's not the problem

I would expect the weight spec on a portable AC or similar is far from
accurate. And it's probably the shipping weight, including the packaging.
Even if it's supposed to be the actual item weight, I would not expect it to
be accurate, could easily be off by more than the small weight of the
refrigerant.

I'm no expert on these, but every AC I've been involved with has a low
pressure cutoff switch. Finding that and seeing if it's open is probably
one way to tell that it's likely a refrigerant leak. And if it is, then
what? If it's very small, like Fretwell suggested, you could recharge it
and get some period of time again, without repairing it. If it's a larger
leak, then it has to be fixed and if that leak is in say the coils, then
it's junk anyway. All things considered, the chance of success is not high
and a new one is typically $125. Also if it's a decade or more old, the
new one will save on electric cost.