Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default How do I add freon to a portable air conditioner?

In article ,
says...

Probably. Again, it depends on what's wrong. They never need to be recharged
unless they have a leak. If it's a leak, then you have two cases:

very small leak, so you can recharge it every year or two. But unless you
DIY, what's that going to cost?

If it is the very small leak and has to be recharged every year, unless
it is a do it yourself, the cost will pay for a new one in 2or 3 years.

I doubt anyone would even look at it for less than $ 50 to $ 100. That
is taking it out of the window and taking it to the shop.

For the home do it your self person, you could get one of the pearcing
valves. Then hope you do not get caught as it used to be a very large
(around $ 10,000) fine, you blead off all the refrigerent to the
atmosphere. Then put in the number of ounces that the name plate calls
for. Just stop the blead when it gets very low so as not to add any air
to the system.

If there is no pressure left in the system to bleed out, you are
probably screwed and need a new unit.