Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default How do I add freon to a portable air conditioner?

On Monday, August 3, 2020 at 9:38:44 PM UTC-4, wrote:
People keep saying a new one costs $125

In Canada, you'd do well to find new one for $350 USD after tax. The 12000 BtU I have made by LG is closer to $450 USD

Everything on it is perfect but it only gets cool, not cold.

Should it cost more than $150 to repair and recharge?

Probably. Again, it depends on what's wrong. They never need to be recharged
unless they have a leak. If it's a leak, then you have two cases:

very small leak, so you can recharge it every year or two. But unless you
DIY, what's that going to cost?

bigger leak, so where is it leaking? If it's a coil, it's going to cost
so much it winds up junked.

How do you know it's a leak? Is the compressor shot?

How much are you prepared to spend to figure it out? If you fix this,
what about the rest of it compared to a new unit?

Surprised they are so much more expensive in Canada. I;ve seen them here
for as low as $99 for a 5K unit, though I haven't looked recently.
I would think for $125 - $150 there would be many choices here for sure.
Unless you can DIY, are willing to spend the time to try to diagnose it,
have or acquire the necessary tools, it's not a very attractive proposition
to repair them.