TOM KAN PA

Default Kitchen remodeling questions

My wife wants a stainless steel backsplash. I think it would look too
commercial. You know, the Greasy Spoon where they grille right behind the lunch
counter.
Also she wants a stainless steel counter top. I never heard of such an animal
and if there was one, I'd think that in no time at all, it would be scratched,
dented, scraped and god knows what else.
Any opinions on these ideas?

Charles Spitzer

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
My wife wants a stainless steel backsplash. I think it would look too
commercial. You know, the Greasy Spoon where they grille right behind the

lunch
counter.
Also she wants a stainless steel counter top. I never heard of such an

animal
and if there was one, I'd think that in no time at all, it would be

scratched,
dented, scraped and god knows what else.
Any opinions on these ideas?

this is actually one of the in looks recently. will you like it in 5-10
years though?

do you have s.s. appliances? if so, how do you like cleaning them? think of
doing a lot more of it. yes, it scratches. it probably won't dent if the
backing is done properly.

Grandpa Koca

TOM KAN PA wrote:

My wife wants a stainless steel backsplash. I think it would look too
commercial. You know, the Greasy Spoon where they grille right behind the lunch
counter.
Also she wants a stainless steel counter top. I never heard of such an animal
and if there was one, I'd think that in no time at all, it would be scratched,
dented, scraped and god knows what else.
Any opinions on these ideas?

SWMBO wants it and *you're* asking for dissenting opinions? tsk, tsk.

Nevertheless, going where even angels fear to tread, consider the SS
sinks and cooktops and what they look like in a couple of years. With
proper care, they don't look too scratched, dented, or scraped. You're
probably thinking of your time spent in the greasy spoon as a youth and
what those countertops looked like, but then the schleppers weren't
exactly careful now were they? Scratches can be polished out, the dents
shouldn't happen in a household kitchen if the underlayment is sound.
Can't say as I'd like the reflective glare from the counter, but that's
controllable by light placement.

And, if SWMBO wants the 50's diner look, get a good thick SS.

--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked. It is price
competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours.

Roger

My wife wants a stainless steel backsplash. I think it would look too
commercial. You know, the Greasy Spoon where they grille right behind the

lunch
counter.
Also she wants a stainless steel counter top. I never heard of such an

animal
and if there was one, I'd think that in no time at all, it would be

scratched,
dented, scraped and god knows what else.
Any opinions on these ideas?

SS countertops are used in commercial establishments because they are
completely waterproof, durable, seamless, sanitary, functional, easy to
clean, and heat resistant, and cushion the fall of dishes, etc. They are
also becoming popular in homes, but nowhere near as common as granite and
man-made composites.
Advantages: heat resistance, durable, fairly stain resistant, easy to clean,
kind to falling dishes, can have ss sink blend in completely, or even
seamless molded look, with the countertop. Can look stunning with certain
textures, tiles, floors, cabinets, background.
Disadvantages: costly to fabricate, install skill-level has to be excellent,
will indeed scratch and get small dents over time, cannot cut on it, and
there is no easy way to remove the scratches. Still, some folks like the
satiny/dull texture that developes over time. Get lots of other info on
Google, enter phrase: stainless steel countertops disadvantages
You'll get both plusses and minuses from various kitchen decorating
websites.

Joe Fabeitz

Does your wife get to decide what color you paint the garage floor? Or
whether your new hammer should have a fiberglass or wooden handle? Does she
have any input as to which nail gun, Porter Cable or Bostich you need? Do
you ask her whether you should order your next set of tires on-line and
mount them yourself? Ok, then...

Reply, here, when the new backsplash and counters are installed.

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
My wife wants a stainless steel backsplash. I think it would look too
commercial. You know, the Greasy Spoon where they grille right behind the

lunch
counter.
Also she wants a stainless steel counter top. I never heard of such an

animal
and if there was one, I'd think that in no time at all, it would be

scratched,
dented, scraped and god knows what else.
Any opinions on these ideas?

Edwin Pawlowski

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
My wife wants a stainless steel backsplash. I think it would look too
commercial. You know, the Greasy Spoon where they grille right behind the
lunch
counter.
Also she wants a stainless steel counter top. I never heard of such an
animal
and if there was one, I'd think that in no time at all, it would be
scratched,
dented, scraped and god knows what else.
Any opinions on these ideas?

Stainless counter tops were in some Levitt built homes in the 1950's.
Probably thousands of them were installed with an integral sink and some are
still in service. Very practical and easy to maintain.

Would I put them in? I doubt it from an aesthetics point of view, but if
you like the SS look, it can be done.

I've seen a backsplash done that way. It looked OK and fit in well with the
rest of the design. I guess it comes down to what you like. Or what your
wife likes. Or what keeps harmony that you both like.

Joseph Meehan

Charles Spitzer wrote:
"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
My wife wants a stainless steel backsplash. I think it would look too
commercial. You know, the Greasy Spoon where they grille right behind the
lunch counter.
Also she wants a stainless steel counter top. I never heard of such an
animal and if there was one, I'd think that in no time at all, it would

be
scratched, dented, scraped and god knows what else.
Any opinions on these ideas?

this is actually one of the in looks recently. will you like it in 5-10
years though?

do you have s.s. appliances? if so, how do you like cleaning them? think

of
doing a lot more of it. yes, it scratches. it probably won't dent if the
backing is done properly.

The answer to that is easy. Wife makes pies. I like pies, wife gets
whatever she wants in the kitchen. I get what I want in the garage. We are
both happy and I get all the great pies I want.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

newfy.1

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
My wife wants a stainless steel backsplash. I think it would look too
commercial. You know, the Greasy Spoon where they grille right behind the

lunch
counter.
Also she wants a stainless steel counter top. I never heard of such an

animal
and if there was one, I'd think that in no time at all, it would be

scratched,
dented, scraped and god knows what else.
Any opinions on these ideas?

I've seen both in the kitchen and bath magazines recently. I think a
backsplash might look kind of neat if you got one with some type of texture
to it. I saw one that had a quilted-type diamond pattern that looked kind of
neat. Too industrial for my tastes, but if you keep the overall design of
your kitchen in mind, it can work.

As for ss counters? I would skip it. Too easy to scratch, stain, mark
up...not for me.

JennP.

default

My wife wants a stainless steel backsplash. I think it would look too
commercial. You know, the Greasy Spoon where they grille right behind the
lunch counter.
Also she wants a stainless steel counter top. I never heard of such an
animal and if there was one, I'd think that in no time at all, it would

The answer to that is easy. Wife makes pies. I like pies, wife gets
whatever she wants in the kitchen. I get what I want in the garage. We are
both happy and I get all the great pies I want.

Seconded: Do not **** off the person who controls the food.

--Goedjn