Default Air Conditioning question

We recently put in central air in the house. We have only one main
trunk line going down center of the house. The family room is in the
basement (where i spend most of my time). Heres the problem, since we
put the central AC in, in order to cool the main floor to say 80 its
between 60 or 65 in the basement. So upstairs stays too hot and
downstairs too cold. I wrapped the ductwork in the basement with that
tim foil covered insulation and cover all the vents with that
insulation and tape them up yet it is still too cold. Is there any way
to achieve a closer balance between the up and down spaces?
HeatMan

wrote in message
We recently put in central air in the house. We have only one main
trunk line going down center of the house. The family room is in the
basement (where i spend most of my time). Heres the problem, since we
put the central AC in, in order to cool the main floor to say 80 its
between 60 or 65 in the basement. So upstairs stays too hot and
downstairs too cold. I wrapped the ductwork in the basement with that
tim foil covered insulation and cover all the vents with that
insulation and tape them up yet it is still too cold. Is there any way
to achieve a closer balance between the up and down spaces?

Install a zoning system.

default

When I put in my AC, I did NOT use any return duct. The return path
goes down the stairs to the AC unit at the other end of the basement.
This seems to work for me, YMMV

Is that even legal? I was under the impression that you couldn't
use any part of your means of egress as an air-handling space.

--Goedjn

HvacTech2

Hi default, hope you are having a nice day

On 01-Sep-04 At About 00:55:22, default wrote to All
Subject: Air Conditioning question

d From: default

When I put in my AC, I did NOT use any return duct. The return path
goes down the stairs to the AC unit at the other end of the
basement. This seems to work for me, YMMV

d Is that even legal? I was under the impression that you couldn't
d use any part of your means of egress as an air-handling space.

In most states it is not legal. if he has a gas fired unit he could also be
setting his family up for disaster as it could very easily draw the exhaust
fumes back down the chimney and cause the house to fill with carbon monoxide.

-= HvacTech2 =-

... "After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in?" - s.w.

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Nick Hull

In article ,
"HvacTech2" wrote:

Hi default, hope you are having a nice day

On 01-Sep-04 At About 00:55:22, default wrote to All

d From: default

When I put in my AC, I did NOT use any return duct. The return path
goes down the stairs to the AC unit at the other end of the
basement. This seems to work for me, YMMV

d Is that even legal? I was under the impression that you couldn't
d use any part of your means of egress as an air-handling space.

In most states it is not legal. if he has a gas fired unit he could also be
setting his family up for disaster as it could very easily draw the exhaust
fumes back down the chimney and cause the house to fill with carbon monoxide.

Legal doesn't matter, I didn't even bother getting a building permit for
my house. It's safe, I don't have any gas fired units. How could a
closed loop air conditioner create the negative pressure required to
draw air from a chimney?

My solar heater doesn't create fumes.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
In article ,
"HvacTech2" wrote:

[...]

I smell a troll, since if you didnt get a building permit for your home, you
dont have a certificate of occupancy, and IF you ARE telling the truth, its
only a matter of time till they locate this error, and take care of it,
including a full set of inspections...

This, IF its a legitimate question about the negative pressure, is why they
require permits, inspections, and licences to install these units.
When you install a central air system, you either have a balanced home, a
home that sucks, or a home that blows. It all depends on the amount of duct
leakage, and where its at. Since you can not tell where the duct is leaking
and I am sure...LOL...since you have installed that unit in a very illegal
manner, that you dont care...dont worry about it.

My solar heater doesn't create fumes.

He didnt say fumes, but thats ok....what are you using for treatment in the
loops?

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Bill

Sometimes you can come up with simple solutions to A/C problems which the
A/C folks would never think about...

Hot air rises, cold air falls. Is there a door closing off your basement
from the rest of the house? Close it.

Where is the hot air? - Upstairs - hottest near ceiling.
Where is the cold air? - Downstairs - coldest near floor.

How about 2 new ducts. One which has a blower in it and sucks the cold air
from the basement floor up to the ceiling in the hottest room of your
house, and another return duct without a blower which allows the hot air
from the upstairs ceiling to go downstairs?