MilkyWhy

Default High comfortable toilet

My mom is up in her 70s and with age constipation as the digestive tract dries
out a bit. I want to put in a taller toilet bowl, so that she sits up higher,
that it will assist in crapping process.

I would like to get one that flushes a full 5 gallons and that is handicapped
heighth. What am I looking for, 18 inches? Will I have to buy this used or do
they make decent toilets any longer?
Rudy

My mom is up in her 70s and with age constipation as the digestive tract

dries
out a bit. I want to put in a taller toilet bowl, so that she sits up

higher,
that it will assist in crapping process.

I would like to get one that flushes a full 5 gallons and that is

handicapped
heighth. What am I looking for, 18 inches? Will I have to buy this used or

do
they make decent toilets any longer?

Kohler Highline (a tall Wellworth model) is 16.5" high VS about 14" for
normal toilets.
Theyre ~ $ 147.50 at Lowes and HD in the USA. To get the 5 gal, you'd have
to find a used older model
which would prove tuff to do, or get one in Canada where they still sell
them.

Michael Baugh

Not necessarily so. There are other options.
First, hold the handle down. The 1.6 gallon flush is based
on the flapper automatically closing with a flush.
C'mon, measure the amount of water in the tank, and do
the math. I just measured the inside of a 1.6 gallon toilet's tank.
17 inches across, 8 inches front to rear, and 9 inches from
the flapper valve to the top of the overflow. 1224 cubic inches.
That's 1224/231= 5.298 gallons.

And there are ways of having even more flush volume without
going to Canada. Main is with an adapter that adapts the bolt
pattern of an old tank to the spacing of a new commode. That
adapter is about $5.

Rudy wrote in message
Kohler Highline (a tall Wellworth model) is 16.5" high VS about 14" for
normal toilets.
Theyre ~ $ 147.50 at Lowes and HD in the USA. To get the 5 gal, you'd

have
to find a used older model
which would prove tuff to do, or get one in Canada where they still sell
them.

Joseph Meehan

MilkyWhy wrote:
My mom is up in her 70s and with age constipation as the digestive tract
dries out a bit. I want to put in a taller toilet bowl, so that she sits

up
higher, that it will assist in crapping process.

I would like to get one that flushes a full 5 gallons and that is
handicapped heighth. What am I looking for, 18 inches? Will I have to buy
this used or do they make decent toilets any longer?

I suggest looking at the American Standard Cadet line. They have
several that will do what you want and they are one of the best respected.

http://www.americanstandard-us.com/P...sp?prodID=1592

Is one example.

In the US you will not find 5 gallon flush toilets, but the good news is
you don't need to. Today there is no need to put up with poor flushing just
because the toilet only uses 1.6 gallons. Well designed and made models
don't cause problems. Cheap poorly designed and even expensive good looking
expensive, poorly designed models are available and are what you will find
in most new homes and often what you find in most DIY stores.

Fully glazed 2 inch or larger traps and other proper designs eliminate
the problems.

You will find several higher seat models. (note toilets don't specify
seat height they specify rim height. The 15½" rim height will give you
close to the 18" seat height you are looking for.

Another solution (not one I would choose) would be to mount the toilet
on a raised platform.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Don Phillipson

"MilkyWhy" wrote in message

My mom is up in her 70s and with age constipation as the digestive tract

dries
out a bit. I want to put in a taller toilet bowl, so that she sits up

higher,
that it will assist in crapping process.

Other alternatives:
1. Plastic top seat approx. 5" high.
My mother had one of these (in England.)
2. Sears sells an add-height module about 2.5"
high that you fit between the floor and the main
pedestal, easily installed. We put one in here
a couple of years ago.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Minnie Bannister

We replaced two of our toilets with American Standard "Champion"
"Right-height" (ADA-approved) models, approx. $250 (bowl and tank, but
excluding seat) at Lowe's or HD.

These have 1.6-gal. tanks, of course, but we have never had to flush
more than once, unlike the old 5-gal. ones, which we replaced because
they simply did not work well and wasted water. When the new ones are
flushed, the "stuff" simply disappears with a "whoosh" -- and no, they
are not pressurized, but the passageways are huge.

MB

On 08/30/04 02:18 am MilkyWhy put fingers to keyboard and launched the
following message into cyberspace:

My mom is up in her 70s and with age constipation as the digestive tract dries
out a bit. I want to put in a taller toilet bowl, so that she sits up higher,
that it will assist in crapping process.

I would like to get one that flushes a full 5 gallons and that is handicapped
heighth. What am I looking for, 18 inches? Will I have to buy this used or do
they make decent toilets any longer?

SQLit

"MilkyWhy" wrote in message
My mom is up in her 70s and with age constipation as the digestive tract

dries
out a bit. I want to put in a taller toilet bowl, so that she sits up

higher,
that it will assist in crapping process.

I would like to get one that flushes a full 5 gallons and that is

handicapped
heighth. What am I looking for, 18 inches? Will I have to buy this used or

do
they make decent toilets any longer?

I would go to an medical supply store and get an padded seat riser.
We bought one for our father after surgery. Bolts on to the bowl and is
quite comfortable.

JohnB

MilkyWhy wrote:
My mom is up in her 70s and with age constipation as the digestive tract dries
out a bit. I want to put in a taller toilet bowl, so that she sits up higher,
that it will assist in crapping process.

I would like to get one that flushes a full 5 gallons and that is handicapped
heighth. What am I looking for, 18 inches? Will I have to buy this used or do
they make decent toilets any longer?

High rise toilet seat for US $25 at
http://www.hometrendscatalog.com/qui...a/0/2/3/301130

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Don Phillipson wrote:
1. Plastic top seat approx. 5" high.
My mother had one of these (in England.)

I don't recommend those for reasons of hygeine. Unlike a higher toilet, the
insert doesn't get internally rinsed when you flush.

2. Sears sells an add-height module about 2.5"
high that you fit between the floor and the main
pedestal, easily installed. We put one in here
a couple of years ago.

This is a much better solution if you don't want to replace the toilet with a
higher model.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com.

Oscar_Lives

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
MilkyWhy wrote:
My mom is up in her 70s and with age constipation as the digestive tract
dries out a bit. I want to put in a taller toilet bowl, so that she sits

up
higher, that it will assist in crapping process.

I would like to get one that flushes a full 5 gallons and that is
handicapped heighth. What am I looking for, 18 inches? Will I have to buy
this used or do they make decent toilets any longer?

I suggest looking at the American Standard Cadet line. They have
several that will do what you want and they are one of the best respected.

Joseph E. Meehan

I respect my toilet too! I have a Ferguson Ultra, just like Al Bundy.