Dan

Default electronic air cleaners: Trane vs. Aprilai opinions?

my contractor of choice prefers selling me a Trane electronic air
cleaner. Consumer Reports recommends the Aprilaire 5000. Any
suggestions/experiences would be appreciated. - Dan
toller

The main thing I would look at is how easy they are to clean. I have a
Honeywell and don't use it because cleaning is a PITA.

Dan

What makes the Honeywell so difficult?

toller wrote:

The main thing I would look at is how easy they are to clean. I have a
Honeywell and don't use it because cleaning is a PITA.

toller

What makes the Honeywell so difficult?

The filters are large, with corners that are pretty sharp. They must either
be washed in a tub or in the dishwasher. But they come out of the tub still
dirty; only the dishwasher does a decent job. I have to move the top rack
up all the way, but even then can only fit one cell in at a time.

Maybe they have improved them (mine is 12 years old), but mine are a real
pita. I have been using a high efficiency 6 month filter made to fit the
housing instead.

I know a HVAC guy who puts a conventional filter in ahead of the electronic
filters. He says it lets you go alot longer between cleanings. I haven't
tried it since my set up doesn't have enough space for a conventional
filter.

Bob

"toller" wrote in message
The main thing I would look at is how easy they are to clean.

I have a
Honeywell and don't use it because cleaning is a PITA.

I never had a problem cleaning them.

Bob

Dan

I have read in several articles and had it affirmed by my HVAC guy that
those 3/6 month filters put a load on your fan motor causing early
failure. He recommended just using cheap filters every two weeks.
Thoughts?

toller wrote:

What makes the Honeywell so difficult?

The filters are large, with corners that are pretty sharp. They must either
be washed in a tub or in the dishwasher. But they come out of the tub still
dirty; only the dishwasher does a decent job. I have to move the top rack
up all the way, but even then can only fit one cell in at a time.

Maybe they have improved them (mine is 12 years old), but mine are a real
pita. I have been using a high efficiency 6 month filter made to fit the
housing instead.

I know a HVAC guy who puts a conventional filter in ahead of the electronic
filters. He says it lets you go alot longer between cleanings. I haven't
tried it since my set up doesn't have enough space for a conventional
filter.

toller

I have read in several articles and had it affirmed by my HVAC guy that
those 3/6 month filters put a load on your fan motor causing early
failure. He recommended just using cheap filters every two weeks.
Thoughts?

There is so much surface area that it shouldn't, but I don't really know.
I got a new furnace last year, and the installer said most of their
customers had also switched to them.

Dan

Dopes anyone have the artcile in Consumer Reports (I think Feb. 2002)
that rates whole house air cleaners. I used to have (hence, found out
about the Aprilaire) but misplaced it and don't want to pay their silly
online charge.

Dan wrote:

my contractor of choice prefers selling me a Trane electronic air
cleaner. Consumer Reports recommends the Aprilaire 5000. Any
suggestions/experiences would be appreciated. - Dan

Steve

In article Uz1Xc.180079$8_6.40561@attbi_s04,
"Bob" wrote:

"toller" wrote in message
The main thing I would look at is how easy they are to clean.

I have a
Honeywell and don't use it because cleaning is a PITA.

I never had a problem cleaning them.

Bob

I've never had a problem with mine either. I clean them outdoors with a
hose. Easy. I have 2 of them because I have 2 furnaces/2 zone heat and
air, and I've been cleaning them this way for the 17 years I have them.

They have been reliable, I've never needed to have them serviced, or
have any parts replaced.

Steve
Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"Dan" wrote in message
t...
I have read in several articles and had it affirmed by my HVAC guy that
those 3/6 month filters put a load on your fan motor causing early
failure. He recommended just using cheap filters every two weeks.
Thoughts?

Dont.

IF you got with an electronic cleaner, this is how we do it...and its so
damn simple its pathetic.

1-Take the elements out.
2-Take them outside.
3-Spray with something like Castrol Super Clean, or Purple Stuff.
4-Rinse off.
5-Allow to dry, or we tend to blow them off with CO2 with the regulator set
very low.
6-Re-install.

The 3M style filter can, and WILL create serious issues IF, and this is IF
your systems duct system is NOT designed for the increase in
resistance...and they have that.

toller wrote:

[...]

Dan

So I am not sure what you are suggesting: use the cheap filter or not
(assuming the absence of an electronic air cleaner)? How would one know
if their duct system would support the increased air resistance and are
you saying that if they didn't, they would collapse? - Dan

Steve@carolinabreezehvac
wrote:

t...

Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"Dan" wrote in message
So I am not sure what you are suggesting: use the cheap filter or not
(assuming the absence of an electronic air cleaner)? How would one know
if their duct system would support the increased air resistance and are
you saying that if they didn't, they would collapse? - Dan

Ok...let me see if I can clarify...

Cheap fiberglass filters every two weeks is a waste, unless you are filling
them slam full of dust in that time. Fiberglass filters filter better as
they collect dirt..as does any filter.
A higher resistance filter, like a pleated paper 3M style, can cause the air
flow over your evap to be reduced to the point that the evap coil stops
absorbing heat at the rate it was designed, the pressure will drop on the
suction side of the AC unit, and the coil will start to freeze...when that
happens, you get a flooded compressor, and this will cause things like
washed out bearings, and broken, or bent valves in the compressor.
Also, should the air flow be reduced in sufficient manner, your load on the
motor goes away, the motor can spin up to a higher RPM than the blower was
designed to handle, and the cage can come apart. Reducing air flow, removes
load on the motor...your guy had it backwards.
This can cause early failure of the blower due to the blower cage breaking,
or, reduced air flow for cooling over the motor....since most of your evap
blower motors are designed to be in the air stream.

Depending on the 1-size of the filter area, 2-size of the return duct, and
3-the static pressure your unit is designed to operate at, its entirely
possible that a 3M filter or the like will be fine....but be advised that if
the system is over 10 years old, chances are that it is not.

Steve@carolinabreezehvac
wrote:

t...

toller wrote:

[...]

toller

IF you got with an electronic cleaner, this is how we do it...and its so
damn simple its pathetic.

1-Take the elements out.
2-Take them outside.
3-Spray with something like Castrol Super Clean, or Purple Stuff.
4-Rinse off.
5-Allow to dry, or we tend to blow them off with CO2 with the regulator

set
very low.
6-Re-install.

I've tried that, and they are still gritty, while the dishwasher gets them
perfectly clean.
Are your getting better results than me, or is gritty okay?

Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"toller" wrote in message
IF you got with an electronic cleaner, this is how we do it...and its so
damn simple its pathetic.

1-Take the elements out.
2-Take them outside.
3-Spray with something like Castrol Super Clean, or Purple Stuff.
4-Rinse off.
5-Allow to dry, or we tend to blow them off with CO2 with the regulator

set
very low.
6-Re-install.

I've tried that, and they are still gritty, while the dishwasher gets them
perfectly clean.
Are your getting better results than me, or is gritty okay?

I dont understand the gritty part...
How long are you letting the Purple Stuff work? If you are using Simple
Green, you can wait forever and it wont work.

Dan

Impressively clear and detailed answer - thanks. My system is newer
than 10 years, so it sounds like you are suggesting the pleated filter
would be acceptable. I understand you point about the cheap filters,
and no, they are not clogged after even four weeks. Thanks for the HVAC
physics lesson - very interesting stuff. - Dan

Steve@carolinabreezehvac
wrote:

"Dan" wrote in message
[...]

wrote: