Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"Dan" wrote in message
So I am not sure what you are suggesting: use the cheap filter or not
(assuming the absence of an electronic air cleaner)? How would one know
if their duct system would support the increased air resistance and are
you saying that if they didn't, they would collapse? - Dan

Ok...let me see if I can clarify...

Cheap fiberglass filters every two weeks is a waste, unless you are filling
them slam full of dust in that time. Fiberglass filters filter better as
they collect dirt..as does any filter.
A higher resistance filter, like a pleated paper 3M style, can cause the air
flow over your evap to be reduced to the point that the evap coil stops
absorbing heat at the rate it was designed, the pressure will drop on the
suction side of the AC unit, and the coil will start to freeze...when that
happens, you get a flooded compressor, and this will cause things like
washed out bearings, and broken, or bent valves in the compressor.
Also, should the air flow be reduced in sufficient manner, your load on the
motor goes away, the motor can spin up to a higher RPM than the blower was
designed to handle, and the cage can come apart. Reducing air flow, removes
load on the motor...your guy had it backwards.
This can cause early failure of the blower due to the blower cage breaking,
or, reduced air flow for cooling over the motor....since most of your evap
blower motors are designed to be in the air stream.

Depending on the 1-size of the filter area, 2-size of the return duct, and
3-the static pressure your unit is designed to operate at, its entirely
possible that a 3M filter or the like will be fine....but be advised that if
the system is over 10 years old, chances are that it is not.

Steve@carolinabreezehvac
wrote:

"Dan" wrote in message
t...
I have read in several articles and had it affirmed by my HVAC guy

that
those 3/6 month filters put a load on your fan motor causing early
failure. He recommended just using cheap filters every two weeks.
Thoughts?

Dont.

IF you got with an electronic cleaner, this is how we do it...and its so
damn simple its pathetic.

1-Take the elements out.
2-Take them outside.
3-Spray with something like Castrol Super Clean, or Purple Stuff.
4-Rinse off.
5-Allow to dry, or we tend to blow them off with CO2 with the regulator

set
very low.
6-Re-install.

The 3M style filter can, and WILL create serious issues IF, and this is

IF
your systems duct system is NOT designed for the increase in
resistance...and they have that.

toller wrote:

What makes the Honeywell so difficult?

The filters are large, with corners that are pretty sharp. They

must
either
be washed in a tub or in the dishwasher. But they come out of the

tub
still
dirty; only the dishwasher does a decent job. I have to move the

top
rack
up all the way, but even then can only fit one cell in at a time.

Maybe they have improved them (mine is 12 years old), but mine are a

real
pita. I have been using a high efficiency 6 month filter made to

fit
the
housing instead.

I know a HVAC guy who puts a conventional filter in ahead of the

electronic
filters. He says it lets you go alot longer between cleanings. I

haven't
tried it since my set up doesn't have enough space for a

conventional
filter.