fnord

Default ideas for determining possible termite damage

We're trying to come up with ideas for possibly determining existing
termite damage to a home. The Terminix people have told me that when
termites find something good, they drop a pheromone that attracts other
termites into the infested area -- it seems odd that they can't detect
these pheromones, but there's probably some complexity involved that I
don't understand. It seems feasible to me, but what do I know?

What we're thinking at the moment is finding a good stud finder, one
that has a "meter" on it (a series of lights) that displays the density
of the board that it is finding behind the plaster. If we go through the
rooms on the first floor that we believe might have damage (based on the
proximity of to existing, visible damage in the basement), we might find
some damaged/destroyed studs. Can anyone recommend good quality stud
finders?

I've read several stories about devices that law enforcement has
available now that are basically infrared devices that detect heat in a
house, basically allowing them to "view" through the walls into houses
from the street. Is there nothing like this in the world of
extermination? Do insects just not put off enough heat?

It seems that, technology-wise, there should be some kind of device that
can show us the density of boards beneath the plaster, which could give
us an idea of whether or not termites have eaten away at the structure
of a house.

Anybody else have any ideas/experience along these lines that they'd
like to share?

Thanks,
fnord
Oscar_Lives

"fnord" wrote in message
[...]

You might try a CAT scan or MRI.

m Ransley

Electronics are not going to do it, A termite dog will find the areas
, but you must open it up to see.

Chuck

What might have been a better route for original poster would be to
ask (depending on if he has siding or brick) HOW can I inspect for
insect damage. Would taking bottom row of siding down be better than
cutting a 12 inch strip from bottom of sheetrock to inspect underlying
wall studs..
I have the same question due to having repaired water damage and
removing bad wood, fiinding powder post beetles in that area. Now
concerned if I should cut through sheetrock to inspect other parts of
house sence I do need to repaint interior anyway...

Chuck